Southwest cues - reasons for their popularity

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Hi together, I'm wondering why southwest cues are such exspensive.

In first instance: It's the market, that's clear.

But besides the market effects, there must be reasons WHY this market situation is so extreme at southwest. So, what is the difference of southwest, is there anything that makes a southwest cue better in playing performance in comparison to other high quality custom cues?

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

But besides the market effects, there must be reasons WHY this market situation is so extreme at southwest. So, what is the difference of southwest, is there anything that makes a southwest cue better in playing performance in comparison to other high quality custom cues?

South West definitely Superbly Crafted cues-
S W Shop tries really hard to produce the very best cue possible-
They play great- But that playability factor- like any cue is a personal preference-
I recently sold a S W- The buyer writes back-
Stated- He thought that cue was Made for him"
I couldn't adjust to the weight or balance of the cue , and sold it-
Funny- the cue he replaced was a Steel joint cue- Which I usually prefer to shoot with"
South West has excellent resale too-providing cue is in good, straight , solid condition

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I had the opportunity years ago to try a Southwest, it was an intresting experence. I got on the list years ago. I should get a build date in 2022ish. I will go go for a Merry Widow, prices at the time will dictate my choice on what my build turn out to be.

I only have a couple of Cue now, migh pick up another soon, if they ever open Pool rooms again.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had the opportunity years ago to try a Southwest, it was an intresting experence. I got on the list years ago. I should get a build date in 2022ish. I will go go for a Merry Widow, prices at the time will dictate my choice on what my build turn out to be.

I only have a couple of Cue now, migh pick up another soon, if they ever open Pool rooms again.

I recommend-
MAKE SURE YOU ARE AWARE OF DIFFERENT SHAFT TAPERS THEY OFFER_
They certainly play different- with the tapers available :wink:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No doubt that they are top notch cues.
But i think a lot has to do with the name.

If you buy a $50,000 Chevrolet people say nice car.
If you buy a $50,000 Jaguar people will say wow you got a Jag!

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
South West cues have a certain look and feel that draws in a lot of players and collectors.
It is surprising how many different types of buyers want South West cues.
You never know who is going to be interested in a South West.
Quite a phenomenon like there is a mystique to a pool cue.
The debate over big pin vs. small pin, flat face vs. piloted doesn't even come up.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
South West cues have a certain look and feel that draws in a lot of players and collectors.
It is surprising how many different types of buyers want South West cues.
You never know who is going to be interested in a South West.
Quite a phenomenon like there is a mystique to a pool cue.
The debate over big pin vs. small pin, flat face vs. piloted doesn't even come up.

So whats this have to do with Chevy's and Jags?

How you doing Ted?
Hows Vague Doug ?
Are you two getting along stuck in the house?
Don't make me come up there!

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was drawn to SW cues because of Jerry Franklin. He is the reason SW cues have attained legendary status.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I like a stiff shaft,and am told they do that. Like I said I got two more years to wait.

just saying....
I ordered my cue new from S W shop-
I ordered the Stiff taper- The 1st / original style taper-
Is what I requested.
Because I too prefer a stiffer hitting cue-
But my experience with my new S W - deflected the cue ball way TOO MUCH-
Especially with inside English shots....

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
just saying....
I ordered my cue new from S W shop-
I ordered the Stiff taper- The 1st / original style taper-
Is what I requested.
Because I too prefer a stiffer hitting cue-
But my experience with my new S W - deflected the cue ball way TOO MUCH-
Especially with inside English shots....

So I am all ears, what recomendation would you make upon your experence?

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I am all ears, what recomendation would you make upon your experence?

" Ask Martin- jazznpool here on az-
He recently sold a new S W....
"I remember in his for sale post a statement regarding the shaft taper he ordered for the cue
- from the S W shop-
Said something like,
such & such taper- THE BEST PLAYING TAPER S W Offers....
" I thought,
I wish I had known that when I ordered my cue"

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was drawn to SW cues because of Jerry Franklin. He is the reason SW cues have attained legendary status.
Jerry is the surely the reason for the status. But I still wonder, and have asked on this forum, who is making the cues. I'm fairy sure Laurie doesn't, and doubt she has a hand in any part of the physical construction of the cues.
Seems she's a good business person and probably handles the business end but who assembles the parts, and does one person do it or is there multiple people?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Jerry is the surely the reason for the status. But I still wonder, and have asked on this forum, who is making the cues. I'm fairy sure Laurie doesn't, and doubt she has a hand in any part of the physical construction of the cues.
Seems she's a good business person and probably handles the business end but who assembles the parts, and does one person do it or is there multiple people?

I am sure Laurie run the show, like Santa. helper do the work, under Santa supervision.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Could Schmelke be making them?
Seems like the latest thing to do.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you looking to purchase on or are you just curious?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums