Van Boening's Break

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually, squatting the cue ball requires just a tad of forward spin or roll, rather than draw. Because the mass of the stack is greater than that of the cue ball, the CB will want to bounce backward off the stack. So when the CB bounces back towards mid-table that bit of forward roll converts to draw and is what throws out the anchor to make the CB squat rather than continue rolling back up table.
Good post. If people are curious about this effect, it is described in more detail and demonstrated in several super-slow-motion videos here:

Regards,
Dave

Falcon Eddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one thing not mentioned here is probably THE most important part of his break. The reason why he hits so squarely (CB ) and so accurately....He focuses on the CB last..once his aim is on, the last thing he looks at is the CB when he delivers.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the cueball is in the air and is hitting the oneball on the way down therefore bouncing the cueball JMO.

This is a good observation.

Fast Larry told me that when he does his 11(?) rail (world record) that the cueball is AIRBORN going to the first rail - for INCREASED SPEED. BTW, after it hits the first cushion it is still airborne going to the second rail. It took him many hours of practice to accomplish this.

So, your are correct IMHO in that if the cueball bounces up in the air, it is indeed hitting the one ball off a bounce. Plus, Shane is so ACCURATE, also a key.

poolist

Registered
Shanes break

Pan Xiaoting probably weighs 100lbs, her break is extremely strong. It appears that she gets the cue speed by using an exaggerated circular motion similar to fast pitch softball. (You have seen the women fast pitch softball, SMOKING!) Shane has a similar rotation in his break but not as extreme as Pan. I suspect that his tip speed is gained in this manner. Of course you have to be willing to put in the hours and the thousands of practice breaks to have the control and accuracy needed to compete.

Falcon Eddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Shane at the U.S Open when he won against Ronnie Alcano. He was not breaking with a lot of speed. But strong contact..a Mac truck hitting an object at 20mph has a lot more force than a VW at the same speed. because of the distribution of mass.. When he connects that CB is hitting perfectly in the face of the object ball..

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I find unique about Shane's break is where his back hand ends up at the end of his follow through. It is just on top of the rail. Most breakers finish in a elevated position after their wrist snap.

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
One thing I find unique about Shane's break is where his back hand ends up at the end of his follow through. It is just on top of the rail. Most breakers finish in a elevated position after their wrist snap.

Yes exactly... If you watch his breaks they change. After his follow through he can either leave the tip and on the table and put that massive bend of the cue or after he breaks the whole cue goes upwards which is hard for me to try and execute, especially how he keeps his bridgehand on the table afterwards.

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
Yes exactly... If you watch his breaks they change. After his follow through he can either leave the tip and on the table and put that massive bend of the cue or after he breaks the whole cue goes upwards which is hard for me to try and execute, especially how he keeps his bridgehand on the table afterwards.

yea noticed that too. sometimes he bends it sometimes he has it pointing slightly upwards. sometimes he even has it pointing slightly to the left.

I think keeping his bridgehand on the table is key though.

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
I remember on a stream i think it was Jay said someone asked Shane what his secret was to his break and Shane put up two fingers, like $200 and ill tell you. Can someone ask him if that offer still stands lol.?

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
yea noticed that too. sometimes he bends it sometimes he has it pointing slightly upwards. sometimes he even has it pointing slightly to the left.

I think keeping his bridgehand on the table is key though.

This has to be the video i watch most of him breaking

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=J6gvpoSbJ6M

And this clip gets me as it just shows how effortless it is for him

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=JIW0ZsZLQE0

Side note: got these off my ipod so they might be the mobile version

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane's break has a lot of the same physical characteristics that the Pinoys use. Busty has a great break despite all the motion he uses to finish. The key is not trying to break with arm speed alone. Using the body to initially develop the power movement and finish with the arms will generate much more wattage.

Joe Tucker's, "Breaking Secrets" covers the power break very well. Though he doesn't get into the biomechanical aspects, he explains the how and whys thoroughly. Highly recommended!

Best,
Mike

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many SVB matches on the internet. Could someone please post a link to a match where SVB parks the cue in the middle quarter of the table with some regularity? I am not talking about once or twice. I am talking about more times than not. I have looked at many and have been unable to find one. There must be one.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
he's actually putting follow on the ball. if it had draw the ball would go to the back rail.
Wrong ! get the ball to jump with draw it goes forward ,
Jesse is correct. For a detailed explanation and super-slow-motion video proof, see:

Although, you are correct that you can make the CB go forward even with draw if the CB hits the OB high enough. Here is an explanation and demonstration of this effect:

but if the CB hit the OB this high on a power break shot, the CB would likely fly off the table.

Regards,
Dave

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That Shane Van Boening is a great talent for our game & because he's a gentleman, he is a good ambassador too. I shoulda ask that young man about a sponsorship back in 2005, the guy with him told me he was gonna be world beater... & sure nuff he is.

He does use a BreakRAK, but that's because he relies on his gift of talent & repetitive practice to maintain that talent.

There's no magic in the equipment we use to play this game. The MAGIC is in us & the way we extract that MAGIC to play this game. Knowledge without application skills is still a theory in one's mind.

Last edited:

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
QUALITY OF CONTACT!!! Like golf, hitting the ball on the sweetspot of the club gets you the best results. Shane hits the headball nearly perfect every time. I have a friend that breaks WAY harder than I do, but has ZERO control over the cueball and he hits the headball in a different spot everytime....his results are as inconsistent as his contact. The correlation is obvious. :cool:

think Shane hitting that BREAKRAK thing a gazillion times has anything to do with his consistency?? :p

you should contact callaway to see if they're interested in making break cues!:thumbup:

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
There are many SVB matches on the internet. Could someone please post a link to a match where SVB parks the cue in the middle quarter of the table with some regularity? I am not talking about once or twice. I am talking about more times than not. I have looked at many and have been unable to find one. There must be one.

get hold of the TAR svb vs. deuel dvd's
he breaks like an animal in that one.

Playin4Dinner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TAR has been looping the match below free for xmas since last week.....

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tarshow