The BIG Mezz shaft thread!

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still looking for reviews on the new EX Pro shaft, anyone have one yet? One came up for sale in Finland so apparently the buyer of that one didnt quite like the shaft enough to keep it :confused:

Val

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently play with a Mezz Exceed and I have 3 Mezz shafts (EX Pro - 29", WX700 - 29" and WX900 - 30") all with wavy joints.

WX900 was my shaft player for about 18 month now and I recently received the EX Pro (abount 1 week).

As weight comparison, EX Pro is 3.25 oz, WX700 is 3.75 oz and WX900 is 3.50 oz.

In terms of playing, WX900 is more like the WD700, but with a smaller tip (12mm). It plays wonderful, but it is very unforgiving. It moves the ball a lot (in terms of spinning) and it is the easiest to apply draw with. Nevertheless, it is the most difficult to consistently play with because it requires all your attention/concentration at all time, which may become difficult. Also it has the least deflection from all Mezz shafts and the most feel.

I played only few shots with WX700, so I prefer not to include it yet into my review. It seemed to me as being very close to a Predator 314-2 in terms of deflection, but with a lot more feel than 314-2.

EX Pro feels similar to a Hybrid Alpha to me, with very consistent play. It has a stiff feeling, but not as stiff as a Hybrid Pro II. I do not know if the difference in stiffness is from the shaft technology or it is only due to the soft tip (EX Pro has a ZAN Soft + tip). It has less deflection than WX700, but a bit more than WX900. Although I played only 1 week so far, I like it a lot. It is very forgiving (compared with WX900), very consistent in long shots and, surprisingly, it has a lot of feel (compared with an Hybrid Pro II), more like the WD700. For sure, it will remain my playing shaft for a long time.

Gt2-To

Registered
I have tried all the shafts, started with the 900, loved the hit, very low deflection..it was to easy to over hit/spin/throw the ball. the HP II, very stiff did not have enough feed back so I settled with the 700, a bit of both worlds, low deflection with good feed back.
Now I have the EX Pro, its improved hit over the HP II, leans towards the feed back of the 700, but with less deflection. Its now my full time shaft.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
I recently bought a new mess sneaky pete with new Ex Pro shaft. I'm now looking for a possibility to raise the shaft weight in order to have a bit more forward balance. Does anybody know if the shaft has a thread inside that allows to use a weightbolt? If yes, what Kind of weight bolts? Where can I get them?

many thanks in advance

Robvandam

PooOooL
I recently bought a new mess sneaky pete with new Ex Pro shaft. I'm now looking for a possibility to raise the shaft weight in order to have a bit more forward balance. Does anybody know if the shaft has a thread inside that allows to use a weightbolt? If yes, what Kind of weight bolts? Where can I get them?

many thanks in advance
I checked with my local supplier a couple of weeks back, who in turn checked with Mezz, apparently the shafts with the weight bolt threading need to be ordered.

Ie: off the shelve ones do not come with the threading.

I guess this would be abit of extra cost as well.

With regards to the weight bolt being used I would guess that Mezz are using are the same ones for their snooker cues.

Hope that helpa

Cheers

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.1 oz for the Predator 314/2 United Joint shaft, and still going strong with it
0.5oz lighter than the WX700, so maybe it could affect the balance point slightly. Nonetheless, I like it a lot

I really feel the need to bring this up once more, so folks dont think this was all just a bunch of new gear hype with my speaking up for the widely hated Predator.
Finally after a little over a month playing with the 314 I still stand my ground with it. It's like the magic wand for me that we all search when going through cues. Went through my usual tip testing with this shaft too, started with a M, went to try S and now sticking to a hard tip on it. Medium worked really well, nothing wrong with it. I just ruined that tip by breaking with it. Too hard it seems, as I managed to get a layer off it :thumbup:
Bought a Softie for it just to try, and in all honesty I hated it. Every little bit of it, it made the shaft unplayable and felt terrible.
So I bought a hard one to see if harder is better or was the medium the right tip for me. For once the change was good, the Kamui Black Hard feels just right for me. I like the snappy feeling it gives, the control, the sound, everything about this combination feels just right for my taste. And now it will last a while, as I found a great deal on a real break cue to take the abuse off my playing cue :grin:

I just play better with it than any other cue I have had the pleasure of playing with. Dont know why though as the fact is that the Mezz shaft that I have (wx700) is far superior qualitywise than the 314. It is made from far better wood, it weighs a bit more, it's really well made in every imaginable way. Still I prefer the predator over it, even when it has its own flaws. It is made from wood that felt pretty coarse at first, tiny little dings come up on their own near the joint to the clearcoat (caused by flexing I think?) and the ferrule is made of something that turns blue pretty easily. Some day I'll get a hard to try on the WX700 too, but I dont think that will change things too much as I have had a medium on it earlier on :eek:

Play well with whatever you got to play with and enjoy the game :rolleyes:

CueMaster77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried all the shafts, started with the 900, loved the hit, very low deflection..it was to easy to over hit/spin/throw the ball. the HP II, very stiff did not have enough feed back so I settled with the 700, a bit of both worlds, low deflection with good feed back.
Now I have the EX Pro, its improved hit over the HP II, leans towards the feed back of the 700, but with less deflection. Its now my full time shaft.

So you recommend Expro shaft?

better than wx700?

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im looking for a Mezz shaft to try now.

I was thinking WX700 or 900 but am not sure. This was a great thread.

Any other information regarding the ExPro?

I currently use a predator 314 but liked the hit of the Mezz I tried. Still LD but felt more like a traditional maple shaft.

I will probably try and find a used one to try it out.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im looking for a Mezz shaft to try now.

I was thinking WX700 or 900 but am not sure. This was a great thread.

Any other information regarding the ExPro?

I currently use a predator 314 but liked the hit of the Mezz I tried. Still LD but felt more like a traditional maple shaft.

I will probably try and find a used one to try it out.

In general WX700 compares to the 314, 900 to the Z.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Hi all together,

I play the WX700 shaft on my Mezz sneaky pete, and the tip is an Ultraskin soft. I'm playing it now for a couple of months and over the time it felt more and more softer, without mushrooming. Everything is OK with the tip, but just the hardness could a bit harder. I feel very comfortable, but it could be a bit harder. Knowing the Ultraskin medium I guess that the medium will probably feel a bit too hard to me, so I'm looking for a tip on my WX700 that's hardness is in between the Ultraskin soft and medium.

I'm thinking about the G2 medium. Can anybody confirm if this is the right way, or can anybody share some similar experience that can help me?

Other alternative could be the Brown Kamui soft. ??

Or shall I better install a usual triangle?

Last edited:

HustlinYou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haw anybody tried the ex pro and hp2 how do they compare? Currently playing with the wx900 on a schon.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haw anybody tried the ex pro and hp2 how do they compare? Currently playing with the wx900 on a schon.
I can tell you about the HPII, it`s a fairly stiff shaft, but a nice long taper.
From what I have understood, the shafts are fairly similar, but the carbon fibre core in the EX shaft is more flexible, resulting in a livlier shaft.
I`m sure the EX pro players can give you more detail.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a busy year and I have not had the chance to play as much as I would like.
I have played quite a few hours with the EX Pro shaft now, and feel it's about time for a verdict.
The first thing to say is that this shaft is expensive! So the market will be limited.
But when you try the shaft, you will know where the money went.
EX Pro has the carbon core technology, wich Mezz uses on Hybrid Pro II and Hybrid Alpha. But the EX Pro core is more flexible, the ferrule is still the same NX material, but slightly shorter than on HP II.
The taper is very similar to HP II, long and with a nice transition. The shaft also comes stock with a Zan Soft tip, wich is superior to the Kamui original Medium that comes on all other Mezz shafts.
The big difference with this shaft is the feel. The other carbon core shafts feel stiff and I find that on delicate shots it's difficult to get the correct speed as the shaft is so effective at transfering energy.
With the EX Pro the balance is perfect, lower deflection than 314 shafts, great feel and feedback and just the right amount of power transfer.
It's my new favourite shaft from Mezz.

Since the question about the difference between the new and old Deep Impact shaft has been raised, I can just quickly say that the taper is the same and Mezz still uses dense, havy maple in their break shaft, the new shaft has abandoned the old bakelite ferrule, and now uses a thin G10 ferrule, the new shafts give more omph and they are louder than the old ones. I can pretty much hear when a player in the pool hall is breaking with a Mezz shaft, it's a distinct sound.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review :smile:

Good to hear that Mezz made another good shaft. I would love to try one put someday, too bad it costs a small fortune :embarrassed2:

samiun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just asking and surely out of topic.... But here is the only Mezz thread that has many Mezz user
Is there a web page that describe the tecnology or the blue print of the Mezz cue butt? I wonder how or what technique they use to assemble the butt. Exceed web and the other i.e Predator web also show the tech.

Last edited:

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've scoured the Japanese sites (company and affiliates), and have never come across significant details about butt construction.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I use Ex Pro with Wavy joint and EC-N butt.

This taper is not standard. I measured and posted measurements before. Tip is 12.5mm, however, only after 2" it is already 12.8 or something... it rises quickly..

It plays amazing. I upgraded to ZAN HybridMax..

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Questions ....I have this Mezz Carom cue and want to have a standard shaft made for it...what type of pin is this...and does Mezz sell the female part separately?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 1,503
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 1,507

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Questions ....I have this Mezz Carom cue and want to have a standard shaft made for it...what type of pin is this...and does Mezz sell the female part separately?

Thanks in advance.

It's a wavvy pin or 3-8-9 .

You can get 5 types of shaft by mezz,
Their hard rock maple shaft , amd 3 low deflection shaft Ex-pro, HP 2 , Wx900 and Wx700 ( check out mezz website for more info ).

Mezz sells predator shaft too.
If u choose to go custom , any competent cuemaker would be able to fit their shaft n tap it according to ur pin.
However i think u're better sticking with mezz since its a mezz butt and mezz does delivers quality products.

Good luck w ur choices

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just asking and surely out of topic.... But here is the only Mezz thread that has many Mezz user
Is there a web page that describe the tecnology or the blue print of the Mezz cue butt? I wonder how or what technique they use to assemble the butt. Exceed web and the other i.e Predator web also show the tech.

Mezz butt are cored with maple n purple heart according to the best of my knowledge.

Only difference with exceed is that exceed are cored with more superior woods and so is the forearm n buttsleeve as its the more exclusive custom range under Mezz.

Alternatively u can try getting more info by emailing mezz usa and im sure they willl be more than willling to help you.

Good luck :)