Joss- 1968-1979- Post your Pictures Please!!!

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Snowman inlay cue is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Thanks for digging this one up so I could see it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy crap that's sweet!

And a 3/8x10 pin!

With a ring above the wrap!

Lots of unusual points here for a Joss....

:thumbup:

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Travis, somehow you come up with the best Joss cues.

I'm going to guess this was about 1973 to 1975 or so, Tim Scruggs involved, not Bill Stroud. Just an educated guess.

All the best,
WW

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that is a sweet Joss

Here is a nice one. :wink:

Not sure if it is the golden hue in the forearm, the all white decorative butt section, the minimalist box inlays or the classic ring work but I really am happy you shared this one. I'm not a fan of box cues but I do like this one a lot.

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
OMG
i have never seen a joss with that much inlay and design
GREAT CUE
thanks for posting
when was this built
any idea how much was stroud or scruggs involved??

Thanks. This cue was built/designed by Dan Janes. I don't know the exact time period. I would agree with WW about his guess. Probably early/mid 1970s rather than later. It seems like this ringwork was used more in the earlier days of the JOSS shop. But that is just a guess.

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's mine identified by Bill Stroud as one of his from before he left Joss (so in the '68-'72 era) with design elements inspired by a a 'bushka he used to play with. Buttcap had been damaged badly and the finish was in poor shape; Dan Janes restored the whole cue (hence the different logo) in 2015. One original shaft with ivory ferrule, butt still has original cortland wrap.

IMG_20150427_185146.jpg

IMG_20150427_184957.jpg

IMG_20150501_200147.jpg

IMG_20150427_185213.jpg

While restoring it, Dan noted that the wood used for the shaft was 'areno blanco,' virtually grainless, and one they stopped using because they couldn't get any more. It plays really well and is still only afflicted with a very minor taper roll (no issues with playability on the cue).
07702ded-7031-4440-bcea-3b05b436228e.jpg

Here's a video of the cue that shows it a bit better (though I failed to wipe fingerprints off the bottom part of the butt first).

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There has been some dandies posted on this thread......I know I always come across wrong, but I would rather have any of these older Joss to ANY of their newer ones.

I try to give folks my advice but it kills me when they buy a new production cue instead of one of these killer cues.

Thanks for all the posts,

Ken

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There has been some dandies posted on this thread......I know I always come across wrong, but I would rather have any of these older Joss to ANY of their newer ones.

I try to give folks my advice but it kills me when they buy a new production cue instead of one of these killer cues.

Thanks for all the posts,

Ken

Can't disagree really. :smile:

But of course, there aren't enough of these around for everybody looking for a cue.

You can still get one if you want one though. Definitely great players and worthwhile.

I usually take my old Joss with me to the pool hall. I call my Huebler my primary player...but lately I haven't been able to put the old Joss away.

This most recent one is spectacular. And I have been curious about that shaft wood since i first heard about it a few years ago.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Chopdoc; Cool to see the Rempe cue here. What the heck said:
Doc, just in case you don't have the catalog/brochure picture of your Joss, I think this is it. The giveaway is the dashes in the middle of the joint collar, done to my knowledge in about 1981 and 1982, still with the delrin buttplate. Before that was the railroad type collars, and after was the plain black collar, with year.

Yours would be model 3E, assuming I'm correct about the time period. I put the production somewhere between 1981 and 1982.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Joss 1981.jpg
    Joss 1981.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,247

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc, just in case you don't have the catalog/brochure picture of your Joss, I think this is it. The giveaway is the dashes in the middle of the joint collar, done to my knowledge in about 1981 and 1982, still with the delrin buttplate. Before that was the railroad type collars, and after was the plain black collar, with year.

Yours would be model 3E, assuming I'm correct about the time period. I put the production somewhere between 1981 and 1982.

All the best,
WW

Thanks-

I have been told that before. But I think (maybe) those dashed rings like mine were found on Joss cues in the mid seventies as well. But I am not 100% on that.

Mine does looks like a "Diamond Series" cue, the last of the block letter Joss cues. As you say the model 3C, as seen here as well: https://josscues.com/photo-gallery/cue-archives/joss-diamond-series/

But there is something else....

Look at the engraved logo on my cue. It does not at all look like the later Joss models, like the ones in the Diamond Series. They are significantly larger and very nicely done.

Mine is tiny. I can measure it if you like. And you can see from the close-up in my signature it is far from well done, it is a little "messy" and crooked.

As you know, after Stroud left the logo got "messy" as Janes was not well practiced at doing it, because Stroud had done it before. It took a while before Janes was able to do it neatly. The ones in the last series in the early eighties are the neatest of all. Very nicely done. Not like mine at all.

Also, I got the cue in 1985 and my impression at the time was that it was already old. I was told that it was around ten years old. The person who told me that was and still is a complete pothead though and I am not sure if he knew what he was talking about. He has been high since about 1980. LOL! He was my best friend in high school. Still lives in his parents' basement. But I digress.

So the story, and the logo, look more like the time frame after Stroud left.

So, I do appreciate your observation. So far, I think the jury is still out on my cue as far as dating it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Very neat story. I hadn't seen those thin dashed joint rings prior to 1981, but I see what you mean about the logo. Makes it hard to date for sure.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very neat story. I hadn't seen those thin dashed joint rings prior to 1981, but I see what you mean about the logo. Makes it hard to date for sure.

All the best,
WW

It is a little bit strange, I admit. I have no bias and am happy no matter what era it was made in. There is a lot of strange variation in the logo as we have seen.

In any case I do love the cue.

As far as the design, obviously there are numerous fancy cues in this thread that blow it away.

But the forearm wood is spectacular in this cue. It's on fire. Curls and birdseyes abound. But it is more than just that. It has"chatoyance"...I believe that's the term I have seen. It's just dumb luck of course, I didn't get to pick that piece of wood.

Let's see some more block letter Joss cues! :D