Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I have ordered a custom cue to be made, I always identify the cue.

My first custom cue was a 1985 Schon Runde and there is some history
associated with my cue that Bob will recall, likely with some angnst too.

When the cue was finally completed, he came up with the inscription and
it has my name on the cue butt. I love it because of the history associated
with making my cue but I would never put my name on a cue again.

Nonetheless, since that time, I also had four (4) more custom cues made
which were much elaborate designs I came up with but I didn't want to
put my name on the cue butt like on my Runde Schon.....Ugh, a dilemma.

It really didn't take very long to figure out what to do. I wouldn't buy a cue
with someone else's name on it but I wanted to brand my cues as mine and
when my children inherit my collection, the cues are marked as one of their
dad's cues that he designed. I also had Bob Owen and Jerry Rauenzahn
sign and date the cues using dates approximate to completion of the cue
substituting birthdays of my children in their signature.

So instead of my name, I asked Bob and Jerry to use initials on my cue butt
instead of my name. Earlier I wrote I wouldn;t buy a cue that had someone
else's name on it unless it was the name of the cue-maker or a famous pool
player of public figure.......you catch my drift.......I don't want a cue with a
name on it that wasn't recognizable as a popular, famous name ....but initials,
I can live with someone else's initials on my cue.....if I really wanted that cue.

Folks know about my affection for Joel Hercek cues and I want one very badly
but if I found the right one and it had someone's name on it, I couldn't buy it
unless Joel could remove the name for me.......but if the cue only had initials.
it wouldn;t bother me in the least because it would only help establish the true
provenance of this cue.......initials aren't gauche or overdone.......it expresses
my pride in the cue & stamps it as mine. Just use initials instead of your name.

Matt B.

Attachments

• 2012 Cue Collection (MMB) 012.jpg
    2012 Cue Collection (MMB) 012.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 2012 Cue Collection (MMB) 013.jpg
    2012 Cue Collection (MMB) 013.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Butt Sleeve (initials) #2 .jpg
    Butt Sleeve (initials) #2 .jpg
    28 KB · Views: 210
  • Butt Sleeve (initials) #3 .jpg
    Butt Sleeve (initials) #3 .jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 202

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I completely understand putting your name on a cue diminishes resale value. I also understand that "life" happens sometimes and you might need to sell at some point. For example, my pup, Boti, had an expensive surgery this week and I had to sell my Tascarella cue to help pay for it.

I've been buying, selling, trading cues now for about 15 years. Had a ton of high quality cues come and go. More than a few that I instantly had sellers remorse over. I'm tired of buying and selling cues. The cue market is crap, you have to practically give stuff away to make a deal anymore. And the number of people out there looking for a nice, high end custom cue to play with are dwindling by the day.

Since I had to sell my cue to help with the surgery, I have to order a new cue at some point in the distant future and am thinking about putting my name on the forearm of the cue for two reasons. 1) So that I will be deterred from ever giving up my cue ever again. 2) If it will be a somewhat pricey custom cue of my dream design, having my name plastered on the forearm would help deter thieves from trying to steal it. Maybe?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Change your name to Schon...problem solved

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under the Wrap

I second the suggestion that you have your name placed under the wrap. I'd have "Made For ............" put on the handle and clear coated with a nice picture of it with enough of the cue visible so it was identifiable. If it was ever stolen, it would allow for a positive ID if found.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I have a Palmer Model M from the 2nd catalog with my name on it. I doubt it's decreased the value at all. Doesn't matter because it'll go to someone after I'm gone, and I doubt he'll sell it.

][cee

Registered
If you had to sale your cherished cue to make ends meet, then why would you intentionally ruin the resale value of a custom cue and have less funds in case of another financial emergency? Also, it would suck if you have your name on a cue that has failed to meet your expectations.

I doubt having your name plastered on the cue will deter thieves. Thieves are assholes who steal things just for the sake of stealing.

I hope your pup makes a full recovery.

The Schon R12 turned out to be a very collectable cue. The value is 10x what I paid for it 33yrs ago. Although it was not my intention, would you agree that the value is actually enhanced by my name, which proves that I am the original owner? Something to consider in case you still have your cue a few decades from now.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Better yet, put Efren Reyes on a cue and see if it increases in value! Uh oh, I think I gave someone an idea. :eek: