Cue woods for the future

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess is Brazilian Rose Wood

Aha! Sometimes i'm a little slow on the uptake, as per evidence. :smile:
I was confuse by the OP's apparent reference (probably my mistake) as a core wood. "BRW" is pretty stable, but i wouldn't put it right up there at the top as a core wood?

On this anecdotal note (possibly using it for cores), the only (small) piece of "BRW" in my shop was handed to me by Wendell Castle one day. Apparently there was a time in the 70's? 80's? when to make a point he made some stuff out of expensive high end wood....and painted it white. To bring it back to the pool world, kind of a Thomas Wayne type poke in the eye as it were.

Post pictures of the table

My wife got a few phone camera pix of me breaking it down after she won the auction, but none that show what it looks like. Here's a pic from the 1926 BBC catalog.

20110016-18.jpg

They list, but do not show, a 4 leg version, which is what this one is. Pocket, 4-1/2 x 9. It was in play, but needs some slate repairs under one rail, lots of cosmetics, and lots of delayed maintenance. I can't really start to work on it until later in the fall, but am picking away at making the necessary supplies to fix the woodwork.

Description: http://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/2200B789-96AE-42B9-A49C-672943475368

Didn't mean to hijack but got excited about the satinwood reference. Maybe this is not totally off base to the OP's wood project - i can't seem to find a decent wood for the perimeter of one of the "toilet plunger" bells and handle. It's not ebony, but very dark brown, and no figure. Not dyed, either. Almost like a phenolic level "bland" but obviously wood.

smt

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the wood that is resisting my efforts to match. Need to duplicate one (only, thank goodness) of these "toilet plungers" for one face of one leg.

The wood in question is very uniform, very dark brown with little grain, and no color lines or variation that surrounds both the bottom "bell" shape and the top handle shape above the stem.

The closest match on hand is snakewood, but without the mottling. It's that dark, hard and plastic-y looking in person. Might just use South American walnut, but that is not near as dense and the color is not as dark. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0058_01.jpg
    DSC_0058_01.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 164

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t help, myself, on that wood, but you might consider a note to Derek at Billiard Restoration Service in Kansas. He provided me with some recreated parts when I refreshed the 1920ish BBC Medallist in my pic and has tons of experience doing these kind of restorations.

HIH

Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone mentioned pinyma....same family as our ornamental crepe Myrtle. I have a 62lb root ball off one all burled out. Looks like B.e.m. Burl

Persimmon is common in our parts most that cut it burn it because they think it’s rotten in the middle....I’m not even close to joking

There’s also the date plum which is a smaller more brown looking persimmon. I say this not as wood but the fruit, it’s my moms favorite everyone here always called the wild persimmon but it’s date plum!

Which brings me to my favorite wood I don’t know really why cuz man Bz...Brazilian rosewood is just perfect...but plum is just so perfectly feeling in my fingers I mean it’s plenty hard and all but it’s got a softness to its grain like a woman skin.

Osage is another and most of these we’ve named are full of reaction wood . To add another good one would be mulberry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have wild persimmon here in the Texas Hill Country. The Texas Ebony I have collected ranges from a chocolate brown to very dark brown. Another great Texas wood is huisache, a reddish brown wood which is similar to mesquite(probably a member of that family). So far, I have not found a wild persimmon large enough for cue work. If I did, I would not cut it down. The deer, raccoons, and possums would probably string me up!

I have watched whitetails eat the green, unripened wild persimmons. They roll their lips back and you know that fruit must be very sour but they keep on stripping it off the tree.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Massaranduba aka "bullet wood"?

First, thanks for starting this post, and tolerating my peripheral Q's.:smile:

Had never heard of Massaranduba, but it looks too red in pictures. This wood is almost a perfect match for dark chocolate in color and texture (less visible texture than photo reveals). On the deck wood note, and to your original posts, I made one cue out of wildly figured Ipe that i had been throwing away (burning in the kitchen cook stove) while making flooring for a government job. It's beautiful and has (to me) a great hit. But i should have cored it, the shape (straightness) varies throughout the year. Ipe's color and grain are all over the map; but some of the really dark straight grain stuff is close to matching the pieces i need. Not quite "it" though.

you might consider a note to Derek at Billiard Restoration Service in Kansas.

Note sent. I always wanted an excuse to contact him - love the site.

He provided me with some recreated parts when I refreshed the 1920ish BBC Medallist in my pic

Now that is a beautiful table! One of my favorites in that era catalogs.

Rhino - that is hilarious. Reminds me of a Black Lab we used to have that would just strip the gooseberry bushes when they came out. Looked like he was in agony and ecstasy at the same time and you couldn't keep him away unless chained. :D

smt

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
We have wild persimmon here in the Texas Hill Country. The Texas Ebony I have collected ranges from a chocolate brown to very dark brown. Another great Texas wood is huisache, a reddish brown wood which is similar to mesquite(probably a member of that family). So far, I have not found a wild persimmon large enough for cue work. If I did, I would not cut it down. The deer, raccoons, and possums would probably string me up!

I have watched whitetails eat the green, unripened wild persimmons. They roll their lips back and you know that fruit must be very sour but they keep on stripping it off the tree.

Remember that’s not wild persimmon....again it is DATE PLUM

Diospyros lotus

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

And yeah green persimmons and the date plums are super high in tannic acid when they are green so sour they will break your teeth.....I’ve given many a young persimmon tree to put on their deer plots and they do love it.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This is the wood that is resisting my efforts to match. Need to duplicate one (only, thank goodness) of these "toilet plungers" for one face of one leg.

The wood in question is very uniform, very dark brown with little grain, and no color lines or variation that surrounds both the bottom "bell" shape and the top handle shape above the stem.

The closest match on hand is snakewood, but without the mottling. It's that dark, hard and plastic-y looking in person. Might just use South American walnut, but that is not near as dense and the color is not as dark. Any ideas?

Is there Any piece you can get an endgrain view of? That’s the fingerprint

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, thanks for starting this post, and tolerating my peripheral Q's.:smile:

Had never heard of Massaranduba, but it looks too red in pictures. This wood is almost a perfect match for dark chocolate in color and texture (less visible texture than photo reveals)
smt

The Massaranduba I've seen have a dark chocolate brown colour, but IPE might be a canidate too.