John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't be foolish.

John has been the most vocal about his attempts, but I can assure you that plenty of others have tried.

Your right , when Engert ran his 492 and Hopkins with his 421 , Hohmann and Strickland with thier 408s I'm sure they are were all trying to keep going but that's not excatly what I'm talking about , but I know you know what I mean

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might I remind you that Mosconi's 526 was done during an exhibition, not a Sanctioned tournament. That never seemed to bother you or anyone else and it was readily accepted as the 14.1 high run record. Now when John Schmidt surpasses Mosconi, all of a sudden it doesn't count for much since he didn't have an opponent and the pockets were larger than in a tournament. Stu, you're grasping at straws here and it does not become you.
Jay Helfert is absolutely correct.
(I said years ago that this kind of crud would happen when someone toppled Mosconi off that 14.1 high run throne.....and here it's started already)
"The man did it fair. He (Schmidt) deserves the utmost courtesy, it goes with winning".......Doc Palmer from the movie "The Gambler".

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Freddie < .. must have bumped his head

If you dont know the game , you don’t know. Nothing wrong with that. We get it. You don’t understand it. Doubling down only show you know less.

Cool. i get it. So does everyone else. Quit.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So many people on this thread have no idea what all entails for an official run. But you all want to talk about something you don’t know. I can pick three or four of you out. You are the most ignorant. Fantastic. But you consider yourself pool aficionados. This is why pool loses.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you dont know the game , you don’t know. Nothing wrong with that. We get it. You don’t understand it. Doubling down only show you know less.

ya I get it , every one who agrees with Freddie knows something those who don't, don't lol get a grip

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has reached the mountain top,, anything he does after this will be easy. I predict he will continue to be a top ranked player for years to come.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm definitely not super knowledgeable about 14.1 but, no matter my high run, "one stroke" makes me look AWSOME!

There are a few on here that remind me of local room in Florence, Alabama. It's called Tennessee Street Billiards and I have yet to see more than two people at a time (out of as many as 30 to 40) in that room that can spell straight pool but, never fear, they will be glad to inform you on what you are/aren't doing right/wrong in a HEARTBEAT......never mind the fact that any five of them added together has a high run of 50ish.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm definitely not super knowledgeable about 14.1 but, no matter my high run, "one stroke" makes me look AWSOME!

There are a few on here that remind me of local room in Florence, Alabama. It's called Tennessee Street Billiards and I have yet to see more than two people at a time (out of as many as 30 to 40) in that room that can spell straight pool but, never fear, they will be glad to inform you on what you are/aren't doing right/wrong in a HEARTBEAT......never mind the fact that any five of them added together has a high run of 50ish.
Lol, your a funny guy first off Wiile played in my friend's fathers pool hall Myers pool hall here in Md and it's said by more than one person I know he walked out on a 400 + run because they wouldn't pay for him to stay my friend ran 100 + against him , another good friend of mine held the Md state 14 -1 in his place Pete Bouros event My friend Ryan McCreesh has won that event ,and he ran over 200 on Dave Daya in a cash game yrs later , who later ran over 300 when he won the Pa state championships , I've seen many times Bobby Chamberlin run a 100 for something to do last time was a few weeks back or so don't get to high on your horse ,

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, your a funny guy first off Wiile played in my friend's fathers pool hall Myers pool hall here in Md and it's said by more than one person I know he walked out on a 400 + run because they wouldn't pay for him to stay my friend ran 100 + against him , another good friend of mine held the Md state 14 -1 in his place Pete Bouros event My friend Ryan McCreesh has won that event ,and he ran over 200 on Dave Daya in a cash game yrs later , who later ran over 300 when he won the Pa state championships , I've seen many times Bobby Chamberlin run a 100 for something to do last time was a few weeks back or so don't get to high on your horse ,

I could throw some pretty big names around if I chose to but, IMO, it doesn't really mean much when:

One man "talks" about "another man's" accomplishments.

This is keyboard stuff, period.

What John did/does isn't. As long as you see the highest 14.1 run in history "that can be proven" as a less than elite performance, well, my opinion of you will stay the same.

It's not personal. If you felt it was, well, you need to step away from the keyboard and step toward "a" table. That's exactly what I'm about to do Sir.

Cross your fingers that I'm able to hit 50 to 60ish tonight. If I do, I'll post it in the 14.1 thread so you can RIP me apart.

I know you destroy ANYTHING I put up. Hell, if 626 dont wow you, how can anything my crooked stroke accomplish even matter?

Something tells me though, even if I put up a small run of....ummm, say 40ish, I bet you would make fun of it. Wouldn't you?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who wonder about the pressure John felt and his mindset during the critical points in the run, he just did a live interview on Facebook....

Here is the video:

https://www.facebook.com/PredatorCues/videos/451666048976768/

Here are times of some profound answers by John...

6:20....John discusses this was most pressure he ever felt in his life

14:30....what were your emotions when making ball 527?

17:44...what was the ball count when you really started to feel the nerves?

My take away is that John was playing against himself, while chasing Willie. There is another level of mental stress here where he states he didn't want to let his family, wife, and friends, and himself down, who all helped him get to that point. His words on his emotions from 470 to 500 are telling in what I believe is some of the greatest pressures a pool player has ever put himself under.

In a 14.1 tournament, if you miss shape, you can just play safe and manufacture another inning at the table...but to John...this was the Deer Hunter--1 shot, that's all you get.

Unbelievable respect and admiration for any individual to dedicate his life to an accomplishment like this.
John states you have to play straight pool for 20 years to even touch on numbers like this. The size and weight of this accomplishment is apparent in this interview.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could throw some pretty big names around if I chose to but, IMO, it doesn't really mean much when:

One man "talks" about "another man's" accomplishments.

This is keyboard stuff, period.

What John did/does isn't. As long as you see the highest 14.1 run in history "that can be proven" as a less than elite performance, well, my opinion of you will stay the same.

It's not personal. If you felt it was, well, you need to step away from the keyboard and step toward "a" table. That's exactly what I'm about to do Sir.

Cross your fingers that I'm able to hit 50 to 60ish tonight. If I do, I'll post it in the 14.1 thread so you can RIP me apart.

I know you destroy ANYTHING I put up. Hell, if 626 dont wow you, how can anything my crooked stroke accomplish even matter?

Something tells me though, even if I put up a small run of....ummm, say 40ish, I bet you would make fun of it. Wouldn't you?

Not at all it's all good , I was just pointing out I've been around going on 60 ain't my first rodeo ive seen plenty about the game , no more no less good luck hope you break your personal best

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who wonder about the pressure John felt and his mindset during the critical points in the run, he just did a live interview on Facebook....

Here is the video:

My take away is that John was playing against himself, while chasing Willie. There is another level of mental stress here where he states he didn't want to let his family, wife, and friends, and himself down, who all helped him get to that point. His words on his emotions from 470 to 500 are telling in what I believe is some of the greatest pressures a pool player has ever put himself under.

In a 14.1 tournament, if you miss shape, you can just play safe and manufacture another inning at the table...but to John...this was the Deer Hunter--1 shot, that's all you get.

Unbelievable respect and admiration for any individual to dedicate his life to an accomplishment like this.
John states you have to play straight pool for 20 years to even touch on numbers like this. The size and weight of this accomplishment is apparent in this interview.

Oh, come on...pshh.

Have you not been reading the thread? If you had, you would know that running 626 balls, well, there is no pressure in it since there wasn't an opponent waiting to fire back at him.

It's easy, just ask them, they'll tell you.

I've argued that there HAS TO BE pressure because I feel like im gonna lose it when I get to......well, WAAAAAY less than 626 balls.

Evidently, there are some BEASTS lurking in our midst and we didn't even know it.

Jeff <<<<<<<<<< is waiting for one of them to show us just how easy it is. Since there's no pressure, it shouldn't be a problem.

I want hold my breath.

I think I'll just take my first hand experience and then:

try to just "imagine" what John was feeling!

Thanks for the link Sir!

Jeff

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... When's the next big 14.1 event?

They're tough to come by, Stu.

The American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship is Oct. 22-26 (right before the International 9-Ball Open).

Anything else?

[No word on a Dragon "World" event this year.]

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here is the video:

I just watched John's FB video.

My other post was before I even watched that.

All I can say is WOW!

You know what, its very weird that the top pros are chiming in and accepting the fact that John is the "current" .....High Run King but:

LOL...... a bunch of amatuers that have high runs from around 10ish to 150ish have issues with "what" he did, "how" he did it, hell, I had one person say something about......the "why" he did it. Just crazy is all I can say.

I've always liked John and I have said this before:

I respect John for other reasons than making balls go into a hole. The reasons I respect John is:

A good man.

A good pool player is easy to find. A good man, lol....in 2019??? are you serious? THATS why I respect him.

I admire and look up to him for the pool stuff. It shows just how hard he works.

Another thing:

ALL THE PROS HAD THE SAME CHANCE!

Like he said, I hope all the pros that now see the ...lol.........INCENTIVE ....imagine that? They said there was no incentive.

Yeah right. The incentive was there, it's just that most of them could not get there.

I hope John gets EVERYTHING he deserves for TAKING A CHANCE and doing what he has done.

Jeff

BTW:

Anyone that has not watched the vid, do it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, I don't generally bet on pool because I've been witness to just a few too many dumps. I have bet real small on occasion, usually as a favor to someone looking for a small wager. I've also been a stake horse on occasion. If I knew it was all on the level, I'd have no problem betting you $10,000 next time John faces one of the elite in competition.

... but I'll bite, for $100, no one gets hurt. You won't have action in every match, though. Too much dead money out there, but let's say you've got action against any of the guys we'd agree are among the best in the discipline.

When's the next big 14.1 event?

Bet! The American Straight Pool in October. I think we can agree on who qualifies to compete against John. I'd say Danny Barouty's speed and up.

And if by some chance John gets matched up with one of the game's elites in a long challenge match (say 2500 in five 500 hundred point blocks), you can take that 10K out of.mothballs. :)

Menelaus10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few thoughts on this new record run. First let me say that as a pool player myself it is almost inconceivable to run so many balls. But before all the worship begins remember that Willie never missed, he just stopped. Also Willie did his run on a small table which I believe is a more difficult task, as there is less room to work around the table. And although both players are extraordinary, Willie will always be The King to me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have a few thoughts on this new record run. First let me say that as a pool player myself it is almost inconceivable to run so many balls. But before all the worship begins remember that Willie never missed, he just stopped. Also Willie did his run on a small table which I believe is a more difficult task, as there is less room to work around the table. And although both players are extraordinary, Willie will always be The King to me.

It's well documented that Willie missed the 527th ball in his record-setting run.

Yes, Charlie Ursitti, the greatest ever authority on the accomplishments of Mosconi, has borne witness that Willie abandoned a practice run in the 580s once, but that's not the record run in practice, and no practice run, quite correctly, would qualify as a world record.

Also, I strongly disagree that it's easier, not harder on an 8 x 4 table than on a 9 x 4 1/2, and I've played 14.1 on both. I've never heard anyone suggest that it was tougher on an eight footer until your post. Doesn't mean you're wrong, but not many see it your way.

John's got the world record, and it will find its way into the Guinness Book of World records soon enough. What a brilliant run! Well played.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one heck of a back cover, inside the jacket, bio right there, Mr. Figueroa. Impressive and well written.
Now my next question is, when does the book come out? Do you ever have the thoughts of leaving your mark on the pool world by putting pen to paper?

I have a smaller shelf than yours of billiard books, and I always have room for another.

Kid, thank you for the very kind words.

There is a book marinating in various stages on my computer. As to the back cover... as you might imagine, over the years people have expressed a wide variety of opinions on some of my posts. I've saved some of the more amusing ones for the back cover :)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The DCC qualifying is certainly a vehicle for a record run...they shoot till they miss.

Early in the history of 14.1, there were some 1,000 point matches, played in blocks of
250, with the balls being marked for next day’s play.

It makes the 626 special....lots of attempts by other players could’ve produced it...
...but it didn’t happen.

Having watched many of the DCC run attempts over many years I'd say that it was always very unlikely that event would produce a run that threatened the 526 simply because the Diamonds are too tough.

So no.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both mosconi and Schmidt's feats are unbelievable in their own rights. I'm certainly not picking sides nor would I ever care to. I'm also not trying to slight either feat.

I do have to ask, how much pressure was Mosconi really under? He was playing an exhibition match and simply kept shooting. It wasn't like the expectation was a 526 or nothing. If hemissed on 4 something that simply would have been the record. I'm sure as the ball count got higher the self pressure increased but there was still nothing on the line, the pressure of the exhibition was surely long gone before he was anywhere near 526. I'm certain that not one soul would have left that room in disappointment if Willie didn't set a record that night, except maybe Willie, I don't know.

How many other nights on this and other exhibition tours did he continue to shoot? You could suppose that continuing to shoot at all past the official end of a match is always an attempt at a high run, or why else would you keep shooting? To entertain the crowd, I get it, but they were already entertained long before a record would have been reached. If he wasn't actually trying for a high run then you could argue there wasn't any pressure at all. So it could be argued that Mosconi was actively making a run at documenting a high run much the same as Schmidt, although quite different at the same time.

As for the table conditions, I am sure it is very hard to play on different tables night in and night out. I will tip my hat to Willie in this regard. It is more likely that he hit 526 on this particular night because he found these conditions to be favorable, than it is likely that he did it in spite of the less than favorable conditions. How many high runs were halted by less than favorable conditions on other nights?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I saw him several times and he didn't continue running balls after the agreed to match and/or he had run 100 -- others who saw him over the years have reported the same.

Mosconi said he continued running balls that one night because the crowd urged him to keep going and because he was friends with the room owner. He said he wanted to make a nice run for him.

Lou Figueroa