WWYDoodleoo

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
The nine goes in all six pockets, I prefer to roll up on the eight and only use speed and one rail...just about anywhere up table, except on the upper rail, and it should be easy.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
WWYDoodleoo?

Two rails out of the corner.

Then tell my neighbor Homer, to kick me square in the nuts if I ever say that out loud.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something I learned from Buddy many Moons ago. It's always better to play position where the cue ball is rolling along the position line and not across it. In this case you come off the end rail with a touch of left English to hit the side rail about a diamond to a diamond and a half above the side pocket. Then the cue ball is rolling right along the position line until it stops. You have a big target to shoot at on the side rail and will have good position for the nine no matter where the cue ball stops, unless you are a complete novice. This is a very simple shot to shoot in this situation and the one least likely to get you in trouble. Learning to play 9-Ball this way is one of the things that made Buddy so great. He played pool the simple way and no one played position better than Buddy!

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something I learned from Buddy many Moons ago. It's always better to play position where the cue ball is rolling along the position line and not across it. In this case you come off the end rail with a touch of left English to hit the side rail about a diamond to a diamond and a half above the side pocket. Then the cue ball is right on the position line until it stops. You have a big target to shoot at on the side rail and will have good position for the nine no matter where the cue ball stops, unless you are a complete novice. This is a very simple shot to shoot in this situation and the one least likely to get you in trouble. Learning to play 9-Ball this way is one of the things that made buddy so great. He played pool the simple way and no one played position better than Buddy!

This is what I like. No chance of ragging yourself up or getting upside down on the nine.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
problem with a is there is a scratch in the side if its hit bad.

Thats why 2 out of the corner is the better shot. The inside follow i mentioned also avoids the scratch is the table plays funky enough you dont the the low outside.

this+++++++

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something I learned from Buddy many Moons ago. It's always better to play position where the cue ball is rolling along the position line and not across it. In this case you come off the end rail with a touch of left English to hit the side rail about a diamond to a diamond and a half above the side pocket. Then the cue ball is rolling right along the position line until it stops. You have a big target to shoot at on the side rail and will have good position for the nine no matter where the cue ball stops, unless you are a complete novice. This is a very simple shot to shoot in this situation and the one least likely to get you in trouble. Learning to play 9-Ball this way is one of the things that made Buddy so great. He played pool the simple way and no one played position better than Buddy!

well, you obviously got options
I like coming out two rails
but the (not a big) angle makes it look like you'd have to really hit it
center axis isn't bad but you still have to hit it good to get the angle on the 9
I like jay and buddy's thought process on this one..au natural
just get it in there tho!

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I agree with Jay,as long as you don't catch the side pocket point you have position from the rail all the way to the 9. Tommy D.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which way do you get on the 9?

Two rails out of the corner, short...or roll to the end rail and then to side rail by corner?

I would attempt to center ball hit it going off the short rail bringing the cue ball back to near where it started. In reality I would miscue horribly sending the cue ball off the table giving my opponent an easy out with ball in hand on the 8 ball.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some of the options discussed so far. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWl4v8dmMyc

You look so comfortable on that table. I think you spend a lot of time in your storeroom/workshop! :grin:

I found myself looking at all the stuff you had in there, trying to figure out what everything was for. I'm just weird that way. :p

Your video reminds me of how much us Pool freaks must have a table somewhere. I once rented a two car garage a couple of miles from my apartment and made it into my own private poolroom. On many a warm Summer night I would open the garage door and play pool, to the amusement of the people living in the apartment house in front. No one ever bothered me or my friends back there and we kept quiet late at night. The only sound you could hear coming out of that garage was the sweet click of the balls. :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I very much want to shoot it like Jay/ buddy suggest, to end rail and then to side rail, above side pocket. It does seem like it would be the pro way, to me.

That said, the speed/ angle required really makes the contact cling and for me, those additional variables reduce the success rate.

Coz of that- and the fact that coming out of the corners is such a frequent need in rotation games- I have gotten very used to shooting it hard and flat.

Regarding the scratch in the side, when coming flat out of the corner...not on a gold crown. That is the thing that usually makes me poop my pants a little when I get on a diamond, coz it can scratch there.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I always shoot it with Patrick Johnson's option B, 2 rails short out of the corner and definitely play to hit the third rail, after which you're coming down the dead-straight line on the 9.

BUT, I'm starting to recognize that that's sorta like the A player way to do it, and Jay Helfert's suggestion is more the pro way to play it. The pro way is harder to mess up too drastically, and further it actually gets you on the "right" side of the 9, by which I mean above it. I hate the shot you end up with on the 9 if you don't come quite short enough on the 2-rails-short shot, and have to shoot the 9 from below the line, with the CB zig-zagging back uptable. It's harder to aim/sight, and easier to scratch.

Additionally, the 2-rails-short path gets harder to execute very quickly as the cut on the 8 gets thinner or the shot on the 8 gets longer. You need to carefully evaluate whether you're asking too much of your backspin to hold the CB on the "short" path without overhitting the speed required for shape. Jay's path, due to using a rolling ball, doesn't suffer from this sensitivity.

The touchiness in Jay's path is knowing exactly how much sidespin to use to hit the second rail just above the side. Too high above the side and you'll end up thin and long on the 9, and going into the side is an obvious problem. To borrow a term from SJM, the shot conceptualization ability to see the "natural" path and know precisely how much tip offset will adjust it to the perfect near-the-side target on the second rail is an under-rated skill in the game of pool, that only develops with lots of practice.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always shoot it with Patrick Johnson's option A, 2 rails short out of the corner and definitely play to hit the third rail, after which you're coming down the dead-straight line on the 9.

BUT, I'm starting to recognize that that's sorta like the A player way to do it, and Jay Helfert's suggestion is more the pro way to play it. The pro way is harder to mess up too drastically, and further it actually gets you on the "right" side of the 9, by which I mean above it. I hate the shot you end up with on the 9 if you don't come quite short enough on the 2-rails-short shot, and have to shoot the 9 from below the line, with the CB zig-zagging back uptable. It's harder to aim/sight, and easier to scratch.

Additionally, the 2-rails-short path gets harder to execute very quickly as the cut on the 8 gets thinner or the shot on the 8 gets longer. You need to carefully evaluate whether you're asking too much of your backspin to hold the CB on the "short" path without overhitting the speed required for shape. Jay's path, due to using a rolling ball, doesn't suffer from this sensitivity.

The touchiness in Jay's path is knowing exactly how much sidespin to use to hit the second rail just above the side. Too high above the side and you'll end up thin and long on the 9, and going into the side is an obvious problem. To borrow a term from SJM, the shot conceptualization ability to see the "natural" path and know precisely how much tip offset will adjust it to the perfect near-the-side target on the second rail is an under-rated skill in the game of pool, that only develops with lots of practice.

Thank you Andrew. When you reach the pro level (I never did!) shots like this come very naturally. You can "feel" the hit you need on the cue ball to hit the side rail within a two or three inch area of where you want to be. There is very little thought process involved once a pro sees the path he wants to take to get from the eight to the nine. Just get up and hit it is what they will do. It would take Earl about three seconds to get down and shoot this shot. :rolleyes:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer to hit a little closer to center to get to the long rail just before the side pocket and come into the line of the nine.

I'm not a fan of anywhere near 50 yard line on this shot. Whichever option I feel short is better than long.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Thanks for the diagram. Exactly what I was trying to depict.

I prefer option B...but I am a masher

Depends on size of table, and table speed.... for me.

I'm not opposed to either, but if the 9 is laying very close to bottom rail.... I like swinging it around(B)
If it's more near the spot, I'll take (A) all day:thumbup: