Surprises when doing work on production cues

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`ve been doing alot of repair work lately, some cue brands are very straight forward and are built the way you expect them to, but some brands, seems to cut corners everywhere they can... To me one brand stands out from the crowd, when it comes to cut corners: Viking. I`m just surprised over the low quality of the craftmanship and lack of quality controll!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kim
Easy things to remember.
Being a professional starts with you!
Start keeping a book on cues (brands) you work on. It will make you very versatile. Share it's info or don't share. That's up to you. Accept what others are doing, never condemn. And never out a Cue company or Cue maker. It just doesn't look good.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I absolutely like to hear more about your experiences, Kim Bye.
For me you are also free to condemn them as little or as much as you like :p

Sharing makes you free.
Cheers!

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kim
Easy things to remember.
Start keeping a book on cues (brands) you work on. It will make you very versatile. Share it's info or don't share. That's up to you. Accept what others are doing, never condemn. And never out a Cue company or Cue maker. It just doesn't look good.

I have started keeping a log about what repairs I do and for whom. In there I note details or problems I encounter.
I don`t really want to single out any one in particular, but that brand have been over represented in repairs, along with Predator shafts, especially their ferrules. Hard to not mention a brand name, when that is a fact.
But other than that I see your point Michael :)

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I absolutely like to hear more about your experiences, Kim Bye.
For me you are also free to condemn them as little or as much as you like :p

Sharing makes you free.
Cheers!

PM me if you like.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Hi Kim
Easy things to remember.

That's a short, direct lesson on class, and I think you're spot on, Mike.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Class!! Class!!! You have to be kidding! I can show you instance after instance about the lack of class on a daily basis. If it wasn't for low class, some on here would have no class.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Class!! Class!!! You have to be kidding! I can show you instance after instance about the lack of class on a daily basis. If it wasn't for low class, some on here would have no class.

You can't show many, if any instances of Mike having low class. You wouldn't have to look far to find an instance of me showing a lack of class. And that's my point. Most of us could have a little more class, show a little more tact. Mike pointed it out & I agree.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
While the truth will set you free, it's not the first time the messenger has been shot for it.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
While the truth will set you free, it's not the first time the messenger has been shot for it.

I don't think Mike was "shooting the messenger". Just as you sometimes offer a word of wisdom, it was a veteran maker offering experienced advice to a younger maker.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't show many, if any instances of Mike having low class. You wouldn't have to look far to find an instance of me showing a lack of class. And that's my point. Most of us could have a little more class, show a little more tact. Mike pointed it out & I agree.

Hold on there!!!!

I never said anything about Mike or anyone in particular. I merely said that in general, if it wasn't for low class some would have no class. It was meant to be 'tongue-in-cheek'. :p

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hold on there!!!!

I never said anything about Mike or anyone in particular. I merely said that in general, if it wasn't for low class some would have no class. It was meant to be 'tongue-in-cheek'. :p

Hi Joe
I know that. I miss talking to you and a few others. I will be soon.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have started keeping a log about what repairs I do and for whom. In there I note details or problems I encounter.
I don`t really want to single out any one in particular, but that brand have been over represented in repairs, along with Predator shafts, especially their ferrules. Hard to not mention a brand name, when that is a fact.
But other than that I see your point Michael :)

Thank you. The bottom line is you post under your name. I respect you for that and for that reason, I offer help whenever I can, but....and this is a really big but.
When you post under your name you are held more accountable for what you post. Big responsibility sometimes. When someone contacts me. Of course they say they're an Az'er and their screen name. First thing I do is look at thier post. Yayyyyy right? Well not really in most cases. Guess what? I'm not the only one doing it. Cue makers and Companies alike are also doing it. I know you know exactly where I'm going with this. And I'm going to leave it right there.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I heard Rosie O'Donell whine about whiny people once.

One of my first cues was a Viking. It was actually an ok cue. Had no issues at all.
Viking also made a line of JG ( John Guffy ) cues. There was one that was a jewel . It hit pretty well. One of the store clerks jumped on it after we were trying it .

Great reminder Mike.

Last edited:

marcoelslager

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric,
I sent you ringwork of one of your shafts that had a split at the joint. Do you still have ringwork? Still playing with just one shaft. Hoping to get a replacement.

Thanks Marc

JC

Coos Cues
Is it still ok to slam cues made in China? Are they considered cue makers yet?

JC

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it still ok to slam cues made in China? Are they considered cue makers yet?

JC

I don't slam any Cues or Cue makers. For 25 years people have been trying to get me to throw a cue and maker under the bus. I protect them at all cost. What is usually forgotten is.......Everyone has some glass windows in thier house. And unfortunately there's always someone walking around with a rock. Drama Queens....Main Forum take notice. If you work in the Industry or want to. Act accordingly. If not, and you consider yourself part of the now famous. (AZ Community) That line always makes me laugh. Drummed up by @holes who have nothing better to do because no one at home listens.....Well, the main forum is just a click away. Good journey to you.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Webb: I do get your point. I don't like low-class behaviour either.

But it's something completely different when mocking a single custom maker (i.e. the person and saying he's crap) and talking (respectfully) about companies producing mass cues and their "limitations" or "problem areas" you need to think of when working on a production model.

You can objectively talk about faults without being a dick or ruining your reputation.

I do not work with people protecting "their own"; I work with honest and straight forward people.
Nothing wrong with being candid about your cost saving if the customer wants it.

Cheers,
M

Last edited: