West system permacote

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for a good clear epoxy that is easy to work with. I've been using B.S.I finish cure for now, but it's expensive and I don't think it's very hard, ut sometimes sort of crumbles when you sand it.
Any cuemaker here who use Permacote from West System?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a Wessex product, not west systems. The result you speak of sounds like it may be too hard for cue work.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That looks like a kitchen table or bar top coat.
Too thick for cue finish imo.
West 105/207 is the slow thin one used for sealer by a lot of makers.

BSI gets hard enough.
You might need a heat box or halogen lamps.

I've used West 105/207 a few times, but doesn't that yellow over time?
I've tried a heat gun, that seems to help some, but halogen, or maybe one of those lamp used in reptile cages?

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I've tried a heat gun, that seems to help some, but halogen, or maybe one of those lamp used in reptile cages?

yes it yellows and you don't have to wait a long time either :banghead:

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
i think Joey meant the 207C Special Clear
i've not heard anything about it yellowing
i havent used as a finish on a cue, however i have used it on joint protectors.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks I'll try that.
Very happy with West products in general, but I have stayed away from using it as a sealer coat.
Devcon dries clear, have someone here tried that?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Just don't try Solarez. :grin-square:
Stinky and thick.
Shrinks and cracks.

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I used to use 207 special clear (the C is just a size code) but I found that the hardener turns brown/amber in the can fairly quickly. It showed up particularly on maple and other light woods: it gave a nice 20 year old patina, not what I want.
Has any else had this happen? It started to turn a few weeks after I opened the can. A fresh can did the same thing. It still seems fine for non-cosmetic uses.
I'm always on the lookout for a non-yellowing epoxy finish. I've tried "many" but even the best I've tried could be better.

Robin Snyder (grumble grumble)

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I used to use 207 special clear (the C is just a size code) but I found that the hardener turns brown/amber in the can fairly quickly. It showed up particularly on maple and other light woods: it gave a nice 20 year old patina, not what I want.
Has any else had this happen? It started to turn a few weeks after I opened the can. A fresh can did the same thing. It still seems fine for non-cosmetic uses.
I'm always on the lookout for a non-yellowing epoxy finish. I've tried "many" but even the best I've tried could be better.

Robin Snyder (grumble grumble)

It turns brown fast .
Never buy more than a smallest can.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Did your work turn yellow? Once the hardener starts to turn amber the finish is no longer clear(amber) makes sense.

Mario

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It turns brown fast .
Never buy more than a smallest can.

The hardener does have a tendency to turn from clear to amber and continue to darken while still in the open can. If you mix it and use it then you have a darker finish :)

Mario

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did your work turn yellow? Once the hardener starts to turn amber the finish is no longer clear(amber) makes sense.

Mario

Yes it starts to yellow quite fast. For some woods it`s not that critical, you can actually use it for effect.
I want something that is easy to work with, stays crystal clear, does not cost a fortune and is easily available here in Europe.
I have read about cuemakers using MAX 1618, but it`s not available any where in Europe and if I where to buy a gallon on Ebay, freight is more than the epoxy itself, so that`s not sustainable in the long run.
West Systems have a store not far from where I live, so I would like to use their product if I can.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's always spraying AUTO CLEAR :) or finding a way to keep the 207 hardener from turning color so quickly. :) if you finish a total of one cue every 3 months the hardener is not going to stay clear. If the mixture is clear when applied so will the end results.

Just my two cents. I have no interest in promoting any product or procedure. It works for me and that's enough :)

Mario

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I asked them about all this awhile back and the answer was weird..

"it's still good, just kind of red"

What good is a "special clear hardener" if have of it starts turning red the moment you break the seal....?

"it's still good.....just kind of red. You can still use it..."

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's always spraying AUTO CLEAR :) or finding a way to keep the 207 hardener from turning color so quickly. :) if you finish a total of one cue every 3 months the hardener is not going to stay clear. If the mixture is clear when applied so will the end results.

Just my two cents. I have no interest in promoting any product or procedure. It works for me and that's enough :)

Mario

Yes I spray clear over the epoxy. I use U-POL S2085. Sprayed with a A.N.I R150 gun. 0.8mm nozzle, I might switch to 1.0mm