Lowballing prices

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is offering a cue builder 75 percent of asking price on a new custom unplayed one of one cue a fair offer ?

Or is it an insult ?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is offering a cue builder 75 percent of asking price on a new custom unplayed one of one cue a fair offer ?

Or is it an insult ?

Of course it's an insult but only if you entertain bottomfeeders. I like to say "we'll let someone else buy it, thanks" or simply do not respond.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Or is it an insult ?
Is this a cue he's offering for sale or a cue you already had him make for you, that you are now trying to negotiate a better price for? In the case of a cue for sale, you have the right to make any offer you'd like and they can accept it, decline it, or make a counter offer. I would say, not knowing the rep of the cuemaker, offering 75% of the asking price is a reasonable opening offer. I wouldn't worry about whether you've hurt their feelings or not.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NOPE not at all its a offer , look at cues in the for sale section many have been there for a very long time yet they stay at the same price , if its a car they simply lower the price some sellers are simply not in tune with the real world so they sit and wait , nothing wrong with that either its their choice

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was an already agreed on price you should pay it.

If it's just another cue he already had made....well......lol......what he thinks the cue is worth may or may not be in line with what you think.

Bottom line....this is a buyers market.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One stroke

Another question, let's say you go to work, assuming you have a job, and your boss tells you, you have to work for 75 percent of your normal pay for the next month. How would feel ?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I don't know if it's an insult, but depending how recent the cue was put up for sale, you might not get a second chance.

Well let’s put it this way...is it an insult for cue scalpers to ask 30%-60% over cost an insult?

This happens constantly. So with that said if that’s not an insult to ask for a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Or is it an insult ?

It is not a fair offer if the asking price is fair.
Never let others ignorance surprise you.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, let's use real mumbers

I'm not talking about a cue that has a 1000 percent markup, so the seller can double his money by selling it for half of what he is asking.
I'm talking about someone offering me 300 for a one of one cue I made and am asking 400 delivered. I am not a cue flipper, I have been building for 20 plus years and have receipts for over $100, 000 in equipment and woods.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I routinely buy larger and larger tickets items and almost never pay the asking price. The way I go about when I will be making a substantially lower offer than the asking price I say something to the effect of " well I do like your ( xxx ) but I am not interested in it at all at your asking price. I would however like to make you an offer but I really do not want to offend you " . I leave it at that and they may pause for a few seconds but 9 out of 10 times they will say " you're not gonna offend me, worst I can say is.no right ? " Now wouldn't consider any pool cues a large ticket item except maybe a handful of the most expensive of the expensive but the concept is the same and should still work just fine.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
100 off wouldn't offend me,but I'm a bit thicker skinned than alot of people today

it's just an offer , you act like this is your first week of selling

I'd tell him I'd get back to him if it doesn't sell in a certain time frame I had in mind

And as someone else already said, he might not be a buyer when your ready for his offer and who knows how long it'll sit

We each have our own expectations, that's just my perspective on it

You've got a great reputation for excellent playing cues
So shouldn't have a problem moving it at your price

Last edited:
I'm not talking about a cue that has a 1000 percent markup, so the seller can double his money by selling it for half of what he is asking.

I'm talking about someone offering me 300 for a one of one cue I made and am asking 400 delivered. I am not a cue flipper, I have been building for 20 plus years and have receipts for over $100, 000 in equipment and woods.

The best thing you can do is start selling directly and take the middle man out of the deal. The scalpers are killing the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Offers

I don't mind making offers for prices that I am willing to pay. I usually preface by saying that I'm not trying to offend but I would be willing to pay X if you are interested.

That being said, I don't do it on here to retail sellers or cue makers. To me, that is like going to Wal-Mart and trying to get them off their prices. Maybe I've missed a few purchases but I am either will to pay their price or I move on.

Just my 2 cents.....

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you do

If your boss ask you to work next month for 75 .percent of your normal pay.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Or is it an insult ?
just put "firm" after your price.

if he becomes a repeat customer or shows his buddies and help's get your name out there, was is worth the mark-down?

as a business man, all offers provide information; you decide what to do with the data.