Shot clock etiquette

9offdabrak

What is a reasonable amount of time to take per shot? I'm new to matches and it helps if I take my time and layout a plan. How much time per shot is polite yet not rushed but not sloth like?

Thanks Pool Gods.

kmorgan

Hi, I play APA 8 and 9-ball. Our league (Suffolk County, New York) has a 20 second shot clock. That said, NO one goes by the rule. Had one of my guys called out for playing slow by the other team captain one night. Bought a digital timer and got major attitude from everyone every time I've tried to use it. Mostly don't bother but there are some low (and high) level players that take over a minute for every shot. Makes for VERY late nights.

I personally think 30 seconds is enough time for regular shots, a minute for tough safety positions.

Also, our timeouts are only supposed to be a minute but often go a lot longer.

Kevin

JC

Coos Cues
Had an opponent walk up and put a one minute hourglass on the table while I was planning my shot.

Told him I'm not a registered nurse but if he needed help with his suppository I would give it a go.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is a reasonable amount of time to take per shot? I'm new to matches and it helps if I take my time and layout a plan. How much time per shot is polite yet not rushed but not sloth like?

Thanks Pool Gods.
When tournaments use shot clocks for nine ball, the typical time is 40 seconds. In the just-completed US Open 9 Ball, it was 40 seconds with one extension per rack and 80 seconds for the shot after the break.

However, if a player takes 40 seconds on every shot at nine ball, many opponents and spectators will wonder what's wrong with him and the spectators will go away.

I think that taking a long time per shot destroys rhythm for a lot of players. Watch videos of some top players and try counting on each shot.