An easy snooker 147

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You might get the impression from some threads here that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the only snooker player to play perfect games (maximum of 147 points in one frame), but most tournament 147s are by other players. Here is one in the current Champion of Champions tournament by Mark Selby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYh0eYQs3Y

Note Selby's fundamentals. In particular, note what he does with his back leg and when he does it.

Selby, who is from Leicester is known as the "jester from Leicester." Those two words rhyme there, evidently. O'Sullivan prefers to call him "The Torturer" for how much pressure he puts on his opponents in matches. Selby is the current #1 (based on money won in ranking events over the last two years). This was his fifth lifetime 147 in competition.

His opponent, Neil Robertson, won the match. Robertson has the record for most "centuries" (breaks over 100 points) in a season of 103. Robertson has won over $4,000,000 in his career and has had problems from video game addiction.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might get the impression from some threads here that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the only snooker player to play perfect games (maximum of 147 points in one frame), but most tournament 147s are by other players. Here is one in the current Champion of Champions tournament by Mark Selby:

Note Selby's fundamentals. In particular, note what he does with his back leg and when he does it.

Selby, who is from Leicester is known as the "jester from Leicester." Those two words rhyme there, evidently. O'Sullivan prefers to call him "The Torturer" for how much pressure he puts on his opponents in matches. Selby is the current #1 (based on money won in ranking events over the last two years). This was his fifth lifetime 147 in competition.

His opponent, Neil Robertson, won the match. Robertson has the record for most "centuries" (breaks over 100 points) in a season of 103. Robertson has won over $4,000,000 in his career and has had problems from video game addiction.
Great run. What about his back foot? He looks like all the other "square on" snooker players. I've tried that stance and was in pain in less than 20min. No way i could play if i had to get into that position. Robertson's style is even more contorted. No way Jose.

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The chances for a 147 looked very much over once the one red ball was knocked to the other end of the table. Nice run.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The chances for a 147 looked very much over once the one red ball was knocked to the other end of the table. Nice run.
I think that red was not nearly as problematic as this one in Ronnie's 13th 147:

CropperCapture[197].jpg

Here is the video the above still is from which has all of his 147s. The start time (for non-smartyphone users) is set to the image above:
https://youtu.be/OKjnw8kgyzI?t=6078

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it's the pace/fluidness of the play. Selby a 147 in12minutes12seconds.
Far to many 9 ball games find a player eyeballing the orange after 12 minutes:rolleyes:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice clean run. Robertson did him a favor by opening the reds and leaving a shot.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob I'm showing this is Selby's 3rd maximum break.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mark Selby is a great player and deserves to be on top....
...but he seems very strained compared to the Rocket...poetry in motion.

Robertson, to me, looks like he just got tenure as a professor.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
It has to be an easy layout for Selby to attempt a maximum. He is known for his pragmatist style in match-play, i.e., he prioritizes winning over anything else, it's the only reason that his 147 record doesn't reflect his skill level.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob I'm showing this is Selby's 3rd maximum break.

I thought I heard on the stream that he had three before.

And re: the lack of flow comment, Selby does often look like he is under more pressure than his opponents.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
He keeps making that black ball and she keeps putting it back up on the table. How annoying!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Champion of Champions tournament, Ronnie plays Shaun Murphy today at 3 p.m., Eastern USA time.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great run. What about his back foot? He looks like all the other "square on" snooker players. I've tried that stance and was in pain in less than 20min. No way i could play if i had to get into that position. Robertson's style is even more contorted. No way Jose.

I play with a snooker stance and I think it is not optimal for playing pool.
With 1,94m, I´m quite tall and this stance, where you more or less lie on your cue works well on a snooker table, but on a much lower pool table it is a bit different.
I have very straight cueing because of my chin and chest touching the cue, but the closer the white and the objectball gets, it gets more difficult to check if my aiming is still right, when I´m down on the shot.
This is not so much a problem when playing 9ball, but for example in straight pool, where you play most of the shots on the bottom part of the table this gets you in trouble quite quickly.

Mark Selby worked on his technique quite a lot througout his carreer. I remember watching him practice many years ago, where he still had his head wobble, because he was cueing under his non dominant eye. If you watch some older footage of his early years, you can see what i mean.

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
biggest asset of a snooker-style setup is not having that back leg straight and stiff
but it is about having a square approach to the shot
with a square approach to the shot:
- sighting is more consistent pocketing from left to right and from right to left
- sighting is more insync with how eyes normally perceive
- gives less room for cueing...

regarding that last one, many poolplayers look for a lot of room to cue....you don't need a lot, you need enough

poolplayer/coach
snooker commentator
Sightright trainer

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
biggest asset of a snooker-style setup is not having that back leg straight and stiff
but it is about having a square approach to the shot
with a square approach to the shot:
- sighting is more consistent pocketing from left to right and from right to left
- sighting is more insync with how eyes normally perceive
- gives less room for cueing...

regarding that last one, many poolplayers look for a lot of room to cue....you don't need a lot, you need enough

poolplayer/coach
snooker commentator
Sightright trainer
You may be correct on all counts but i for one cannot play in that position. Makes my neck, back, and shoulder hurt. I've always stood more sideways and never felt any disadvantage.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I didn't realize that a regulation snooker table was 4-5" higher than a pool table. That explains a lot. No wonder i'm uncomfortable.

A regulation 6x12 tends to be two inches higher than the maximum 31 in of a pool table.
...this can all vary in actual pool hall conditions because of uneven floors.

I used to gamble on a 6x12 that was four inches higher at one end.
...I had a decent edge on most snooker players on this table....’cause they were married
to their stance.