Clusters on the Break in 8 Ball ???

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the rack is not broken open real well ... how do you make a decision on reading the clusters to deciding what balls you want solid or stripes ?

pool junkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By learning some geometry you can learn about angle in and angle out. By studying the orientation of the balls you can figure out which ball needs to hit another to get your desired effects. By learning cue ball control you can affect cue ball path to hit clusters where you want.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
When the rack is not broken open real well ... how do you make a decision on reading the clusters to deciding what balls you want solid or stripes ?

Start backwards--look at the 8-ball. If I can run a challenging table but the 8-ball is blocked...

If there are clusters for both solids and stripes the concept is "will solids or stripes be better for me to control the table/deny my opponent"?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Which balls are nearer the clusters? Choosing that suit gives you carom opportunities to hit the clusters.

pj
chgo

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's also good to consider which balls are on the pocket side of the clusters, so that if you break them out they move toward a pocket. Another strategy is to use your opening shot to break up a cluster and play safe at the same time, so that when you get back to the table you have more opportunities. If I'm playing a particularly unskilled opponent (happens occasionally in league) and they broke very poorly, I will use my opening shot to "re-break" the balls. Only a good idea if you are confident they can't do much in return.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If I'm playing a particularly unskilled opponent (happens occasionally in league) and they broke very poorly, I will use my opening shot to "re-break" the balls. Only a good idea if you are confident they can't do much in return.
A related principle is to deal with problems as early as possible, while there are more shot options available after the breakout - and more balls to hide behind if you don't get a shot. I often choose a first shot that solves a problem right away.

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the biggest mistakes I see quite a few players make during 8ball league is to break out clusters of balls that do not need to be broken out. Many times each ball has an open pocket, you just have to shoot them in the correct order. In other words, a cluster of 3 or 4 balls might look bad, but pocketing one of them (or playing a safety by knocking one out of the mess) could open a path to pocket the others without busting them up.

Going into a mess of balls without paying attention to where each ball might go can quickly screw up a runable rack. Sometimes it's necessary to rearrange the furniture, but you have to make sure you won't be worse off when you do it. And, as others have said already, try to remedy these situations early in the game.

Last edited: