Playing position for side pockets

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is similar to the guidance about playing for center table. In general it is good advice. In specifics, you should be playing for specific areas coming in from forgiving angles. Often enough that’s for center table and corner pockets yet often enough it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I forgot to mention is that I play position "tailored to me".

By that, I mean I try to play position where the cue ball is in a place that will allow me to have a comfortable, solid stance at the table. I prefer to shoot a bit "harder" shot while I'm in a "correct" stance than shooting an easier shot if I have to be a contortionist to shoot it once I get the position. That is, unless it is a hanger or something that allows me to use the bridge without having to try to "stroke" the ball while using the bridge.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, it is foolish to NOT play your game according to the table you are playing on if indeed it does have certain nuances related to side pocket vs. corner pocket size/rail angle,etc. For instance, on a 7 foot Valley with those very sharply angled side pockets, I am good enough with the cue ball to position for a corner pocket shot whenever possible, but ONLY if that position affords me a continued run, and NOT just to avoid a side pocket shot. However, shooting corner pocket shots on a 7 foot Valley for a very good player should possess no problems at all - also play for Follow position vs, draw position shots on a Valley with the heavier cue ball. All in all you need to "KNOW" the table and play it accordingly - but that requires being skilled enough to control the cue to go where it makes logical sense for both table set up and continuation of a run. No sense worrying about any of this until you have the skill to control the cue ball almost at will.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for opinions.

For a long time, it has been said, “don’t play position for the side pockets.” Or at least a version of that. [...]

I met my son in San Francisco a couple weeks ago, and we played on Table 1 up front at Family Billiards.

Let's just say it didn't take long until we were playing side-pocket shape ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 136

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I know the table is notorious for kicking out side pocket shots I will try to stay away from them or leave for a soft shot. If I don't know the table I will start soft and go from there and watch the other player.

I only avoid side pockets if I know they're a pain in the ass.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for opinions.

For a long time, it has been said, “don’t play position for the side pockets.” Or at least a version of that. Maybe more accurate is, “only play position for side pockets, when you are certain of good position.”

This seems to be more true on slower tables and softer rails than it does on a Diamond, where moving the cue ball is easier. What are some opinions of playing position for side pockets?

Is this a common strategy? Do players these days even concern themselves with side pockets?

Mostly curious.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I dont care what brand/type the table is.... whether its dirty/clean....... whether its fast/slow.........no matter what game I'm playing........no matter who I'm playing........no matter what's 9n the line.......etc...etc...etc..etc... I shoot at:

the pocket that after figuring in "ALL" variables.... give me the high percentage of success for "that particular shot".

I do the above "EVERY SHOT"..... without fail.

I have heard certain instructors/coaches tell players to avoid the sides if possible. I dont agree with that, why? Well:

The side are like the diamonds on the rails..... they are not for looks. They have a purpose.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cloth is fast and the table accurately leveled, corner pockets typically offer more aiming latitude if the OB isn’t drilled. When paired with a weaker partner in a scotch doubles tournament who is presented with a long 45 degree cut to either and then chooses the corner, he typically slops in a miss that would never have gone in the side.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first heard this from Freddy (Cornerman) when he was commentating. He was making the point that relying on a side pocket shot for position playing 8-ball is something done only with caution late in your runout. Because if you get on the wrong side of the ball you have to head up and down or around the table to get position on a specific ball - usually the 8-ball.

Additionally, in BB 8b there is usually a lot of traffic when you are running out and so if you get on the wrong side it can be almost impossible to get around the table.

Another piece of this is that many amateur players (me, especially) like to use side pocket shots as transition shots from one end of the table to the other.

For years I kept playing position for the side - usually to set up position on the 8-ball - and if I missed position and got caught up trying to run up and down I just chalked it up to the fact that I screwed up position without really looking at the fact that it's really a lot worse positional decision than the corner option simply because missing your position by a few inches could be death even if you are not blocked.

This opened my eyes to it and now I make very sure that I can reliably get the shape I need for the side pocket or find a better path/transition ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I met my son in San Francisco a couple weeks ago, and we played on Table 1 up front at Family Billiards.

Let's just say it didn't take long until we were playing side-pocket shape ;-)
And then there was the first Rasson table that was used at Charlie Williams' 14.1 tournament at Steinway. The side pockets were smaller than the corner pockets.:shocked2: You tend to use the side pockets a lot at 14.1 unless they are that small, and they you rearrange your run to not use them.

In the first match on the table, Mika and Zvi struggled to run 30. In the next match, Earl ran 135 and out.:eek: But, then, Earl lives on a different planet where objects can pass through other objects and 2 = 10. ;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And speaking of 14.1, some of the most common patterns involve the side pocket for the key ball but it is nearly always with a pre-key ball that is guaranteed to leave an easy shot.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And speaking of 14.1, some of the most common patterns involve the side pocket for the key ball but it is nearly always with a pre-key ball that is guaranteed to leave an easy shot.

There was a discussion on FB where Freddy clarified that his statement was specifically not true for 14.1.