Jose Garcia

SirBanksALot

NoMakeANoBallANoMoreA
Silver Member
Jose Garcia is an absolute joy to watch playing any game. He makes it very clear that Straight Pool is his game of choice and nothing else is even close.

Many knowledgeable players and instructors are adamant in saying that playing Straight Pool will improve your success in all other games. And, if you are a hardcore straight pool player, you can almost spot another hardcore straight pool player by the way they play patterns in 9 Ball and One Pocket.

If anyone has not seen the Accustats tape of Jose Garcia playing Tony Robles (I think it was Tony Robles) in the US Open 9 Ball Tournament, get a copy of that match.

Its a "Player Commentary" tape so not only do you get to see a master straight pool player play 9 Ball almost perfectly, you get to hear Jose and Pat comment on the match.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
SirBanksALot said:
Jose Garcia is an absolute joy to watch playing any game. He makes it very clear that Straight Pool is his game of choice and nothing else is even close.

Many knowledgeable players and instructors are adamant in saying that playing Straight Pool will improve your success in all other games. And, if you are a hardcore straight pool player, you can almost spot another hardcore straight pool player by the way they play patterns in 9 Ball and One Pocket.

If anyone has not seen the Accustats tape of Jose Garcia playing Tony Robles (I think it was Tony Robles) in the US Open 9 Ball Tournament, get a copy of that match.

Its a "Player Commentary" tape so not only do you get to see a master straight pool player play 9 Ball almost perfectly, you get to hear Jose and Pat comment on the match.

In one of his straight pool matches from Accustats (either Cleveland Open or Maine Event, I think), the commentators were very complimentary of his "old style" of playing straight pool. Picking apart the rack little by little, not running into anything he didn't need to. Very pretty.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
In one of his straight pool matches from Accustats (either Cleveland Open or Maine Event, I think), the commentators were very complimentary of his "old style" of playing straight pool. Picking apart the rack little by little, not running into anything he didn't need to. Very pretty.

I've seen a lot of good straight pool in my time, and I'd have to say that Jose is probably the most logical, most natural, and most enjoyable player I've ever had the privilege to watch.

He's very down-to-earth as well. One of the true bonafide gentlemen in the game.

- Steve

SirBanksALot

NoMakeANoBallANoMoreA
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
I've seen a lot of good straight pool in my time, and I'd have to say that Jose is probably the most logical, most natural, and most enjoyable player I've ever had the privilege to watch.

He's very down-to-earth as well. One of the true bonafide gentlemen in the game.

- Steve

Steve-He certainly comes across that way. I'm glad to hear that's the way he really is. More guys like Jose might help elevate the overall status of the game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jose played with a lot of imagination. Here's a position he faced in the (1980?) PPPA World Championship and I was sitting next to Ray Martin sweating this match.

Surely, Jose would play the one in the side and then break out the only cluster on the table. Everything looked pretty simple, as the four would always prove a nice key ball onto the eight ball at some point. Jose did something subtle that turned out to make a difference. As he pocketed the one, he bumped the two ball a few inches, to make sure it passed the five into the corner. Ray Martin commented "nice play," and at the time, it wasn't obvious to me why this play made much difference, but what followed made it clear. As Jose broke out the cluster, he ended up near the top rail and had little choice but to use up the four in the side, the ball that had looked like the key ball. Jose had foreseen the danger of having to use up the four, however, and that's why he had made sure that the five ball break shot would also have a key ball. Bumping the two saved the day, and moments later, he played the two in the corner onto the five ball break shot to ensure that his run would continue. Great planning and great vision.

A nice sampling of Garcia's great technique, at least in my opinion.

Attachments

• garcia.JPG
    garcia.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,112

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He holds a weekly straight pool tournament at his pool hall in Vineland, NJ. Just and FYI. Don't know if it's still ongoing, but a know as recently as a year ago guys going over to play. Me, I wouldn't bother embarrassing myself.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Gregg said:
He holds a weekly straight pool tournament at his pool hall in Vineland, NJ. Just and FYI. Don't know if it's still ongoing, but a know as recently as a year ago guys going over to play. Me, I wouldn't bother embarrassing myself.

Gregg,
Shame on you:) :) . If I had access to that type of competition, I would be over there every week; even if I couldn't run 2 balls (and from what I've heard you are actually an excellent player).

I've been trounced in 14.1 by some of the best players in the world (Johnny Archer, Jeanette Lee, Danny DiLiberto, Grady Mathews, George Breedlove, Sarah Rousey, Mark Wilson, sjm) - and I enjoyed every minute of the matches.

Please get your a$$ over there, and report back to us.

P.S. - several of the above-mentioned players have said that they enjoy playing amateurs on occasion - I think they get to shoot more often that way.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i got to sit table side for a 14.1 match Jose was playing....of course after asking, and he never ever seemed to do the wrong thing. One cool part was when his opponent went on a bathroom break and he saw me looking at the rack perplexed. He said "what would you do?"... I said graze the corner ball and send the CB up table. He said good choice, but it leaves too many dead ones!

his opponent came back and grazed the corner ball leaving Jose a dead one, and a 68 n out ball run.

The best part was after the final hand shake, He winked, and said "no charge!" :)

Gerry

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Gerry said:
i got to sit table side for a 14.1 match Jose was playing....of course after asking, and he never ever seemed to do the wrong thing. One cool part was when his opponent went on a bathroom break and he saw me looking at the rack perplexed. He said "what would you do?"... I said graze the corner ball and send the CB up table. He said good choice, but it leaves too many dead ones!

his opponent came back and grazed the corner ball leaving Jose a dead one, and a 68 n out ball run.

The best part was after the final hand shake, He winked, and said "no charge!" :)

Gerry

GREAT story Gerry!

I remember at the 1999 or 2000 14.1 tournament at Amsterdam, there was a match between Jose and Ginky. I don't remember who won, or many details. What I do remember is that both players ran at least 90, and I've never been so transfixed to a game in my life. The play on both parts was elegant and beautiful. The game was exciting, as one player had a huge lead and the other came right back.

So even though I don't remember many of the details, I remember the feeling of watching it. I was like a kid in a candy store.

- Steve

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
GREAT story Gerry!

I remember at the 1999 or 2000 14.1 tournament at Amsterdam, there was a match between Jose and Ginky. I don't remember who won, or many details. What I do remember is that both players ran at least 90, and I've never been so transfixed to a game in my life. The play on both parts was elegant and beautiful. The game was exciting, as one player had a huge lead and the other came right back.

So even though I don't remember many of the details, I remember the feeling of watching it. I was like a kid in a candy store.

- Steve
That has been a very hard fought and high level, competition between those two for years. Doesn't matter what they play...9-ball, straight pol or anything else, their matches are always chess like and fierce!

Both are stand up gentlemen in my book and a pleasure to watch. I might even go as far as to say they have somewhat similar games. Smooth and exact...although I believe Jose to be the more cautious of the two. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

Treat yourself to one of their matches if you happen to be in the same arena someday.

Gene

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
GREAT story Gerry!

- Steve

I remember that match during the 1999 National Straight Pool Championships at Amsterdam Billiards East. Garcia ran a 99 to open it, and Ginky responded with a 114. Garcia had control of the table in the 140's, but failed on a break shot played from near the top rail, and Ginky prevailed in the match, riding that win all the way to the match for the hot-seat. Although Dick Lane ran 120+ en route to victory to gain the hot seat, Ginky beat Allen Hopkins to earn a rematch and then beat Lane in the final to captuire the title.

SirBanksALot

NoMakeANoBallANoMoreA
Silver Member
Thanks Dennis DMG Walsh!

The postman brought a nice little present today and I thank you!

One of the older players in town (he was at the last Johnson City) always likes to wisecrack and say - "...you just meet a better class of people when you play Straight Pool"

I don't necessarily agree with that but I sure appreciate the gesture.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
SirBanksALot said:
The postman brought a nice little present today and I thank you!

One of the older players in town (he was at the last Johnson City) always likes to wisecrack and say - "...you just meet a better class of people when you play Straight Pool"

I don't necessarily agree with that but I sure appreciate the gesture.
You are welcome. Tell us what you think of the matches.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Gregg,
Shame on you:) :) . If I had access to that type of competition, I would be over there every week; even if I couldn't run 2 balls (and from what I've heard you are actually an excellent player).

I've been trounced in 14.1 by some of the best players in the world (Johnny Archer, Jeanette Lee, Danny DiLiberto, Grady Mathews, George Breedlove, Sarah Rousey, Mark Wilson, sjm) - and I enjoyed every minute of the matches.

Please get your a$$ over there, and report back to us.

P.S. - several of the above-mentioned players have said that they enjoy playing amateurs on occasion - I think they get to shoot more often that way.

Thanks for the kind words.

Just over the weekend, after we visited the Valley Forge Expo, we had to get a few games in with a very good local shooter (his high run is a 69) who plays in the tournament and and lost out winning it by a very small margin, as they keep a point total for a session.

It's good to know I have a lot more to learn about the game, let's just say.:rolleyes:

Leehblanc

I stream a weekly chip tournament every Friday at Jose's place in Vineland, NJ, and play in a BCA league there on Wednesday nights. He is every bit the person everyone here says. He's helpful, friendly and has a great sense of humor.

As for the hall, it's well-maintained, looks great, and is full of absolute KILLERS. The average Fargo of the regulars is probably in the mid 500's. I've learned a lot from playing there, most of it sitting in the chair watching my opponent run racks.