Jump sticks in straight pool

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that jump cues could be used in straight pool (I dont jump balls but there are others in our league that do).

-Dennis

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
no jump cues in Straight Pool, but it is of the discretion of the tournament or league director.

-Steve

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see it in the WPA rules but the BCAPL rules state that, "jump shots may only be attempted with your playing cue." I believe that's a fairly common rule. Maybe Mr. Jewett can chime in with the official WPA rule.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The official rule is that there are no special cue restrictions in straight pool. However, most jump cues are illegal according to the equipment regulations.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Respect the game and don't pull out a jump cue in a straight pool match.

And of course, Bob is correct about the legality of most jump cues.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The official rule is that there are no special cue restrictions in straight pool. However, most jump cues are illegal according to the equipment regulations.

I'm confused. WPA Rule 1.3 Player's Use of Equipment states that a player can switch between a playing cue, break cue or jump cue.

I personally don't think they should be allowed in any game, but that's just my opinion.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'm confused. WPA Rule 1.3 Player's Use of Equipment states that a player can switch between a playing cue, break cue or jump cue.

I personally don't think they should be allowed in any game, but that's just my opinion.

Ruule 1.3 also states that equipment must meet WPA specifications and under the WPA equipment specs it says the following:

The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed..

Most jump cues, at least those with phenolic tips, would not comply with this regulation.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruule 1.3 also states that equipment must meet WPA specifications and under the WPA equipment specs it says the following:

Most jump cues, at least those with phenolic tips, would not comply with this regulation.

Mr. Jewett's response suggests that jump cues are illegal regardless of the material used in the tip. I assume this is based on the minimum length requirement of 40".

This just brings up another question like by what rules do the pros play when they're jumping in 9-ball and 10-ball?

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr. Jewett's response suggests that jump cues are illegal regardless of the material used in the tip. ...

I think he was talking about the tip requirement, which was quoted by DogsPlayingPool. I imagine most jump cues meet the other cue specs: at least 40" long, at most 25 oz., and at most 14mm at the tip.

But I've never seen a short ("jump") cue pulled out for a jump shot in a 14.1 event.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he was talking about the tip requirement, which was quoted by DogsPlayingPool. I imagine most jump cues meet the other cue specs: at least 40" long, at most 25 oz., and at most 14mm at the tip.

But I've never seen a short ("jump") cue pulled out for a jump shot in a 14.1 event.

Fair enough.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
...This just brings up another question like by what rules do the pros play when they're jumping in 9-ball and 10-ball?

This is a good question. I would think most major tournaments are played by WPA rules. However, equipment violations may be one of those things that is only addressed if there is a protest from the opponent or it is otherwise brought to the attention of the referee. I've never seen a TD or referee stop play to perform an inspection on a break cue or jump cue just because a player is about to use it. And I don't often see a player call for a ruling against another player for an equipment violation. Maybe it's professional courtesy or maybe it's because his own jump cue is probably also technically illegal. ;) It's probably similar to a pattern racking violation. It's not called unless a player protests and you rarely see a player protest.

It's seems similar to baseball in this regard. I'm thinking the pine tar incident and corked bats.

Last edited:

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member

Not by anyone who really knows the game. But occasionally you'll see a banger try it!

UtQHS.png

HDfzF.png

:eek:

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is where the confusion comes in. The WPA certainly seems to state that jump cues are legal in straight pool....but you have to read further that they must have the correct tip and length.

-Dennis

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see it in the WPA rules but the BCAPL rules state that, "jump shots may only be attempted with your playing cue." I believe that's a fairly common rule. Maybe Mr. Jewett can chime in with the official WPA rule.

The BCAPL rule is very clearly written. I like rules that are clear.

-Dennis

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If you can't play a ball, then play safe. If you think that you need to rely on a jump cue on a regular basis to get out of a jam, then perhaps you need to rethink how you look at and think patterns.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jump cues are as welcome in 14.1 as ant colonies are at a picnic. A rule I'd like to see implemented is that the very act of taking out a jump cue in 14.1 be an automatic loss of game and a one year revokation of one's license to play 14.1.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not by anyone who really knows the game. But occasionally you'll see a banger try it! ...

Whoa, there, pardner. Is that the Miz using a jump cue in a 14.1 event? Tell us more. When? Where? Was it a tournament? Was it allowed without any questioning? Were others doing it? Was it an aberration or something commonly done? We need some words here!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jump cues are as welcome in 14.1 as ant colonies are at a picnic. A rule I'd like to see implemented is that the very act of taking out a jump cue in 14.1 be an automatic loss of game and a one year revokation of one's license to play 14.1.

Hi, Stu. Welcome back from wherever you've been (the Olympics?).

As to your post, that's actually how you feel about the use of jumpers in 9-ball, too, right?:smile:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hi, Stu. Welcome back from wherever you've been (the Olympics?).

As to your post, that's actually how you feel about the use of jumpers in 9-ball, too, right?:smile:

At least I understand the argument that those who propose the jump stick in 9-ball make, which is that Texas Express rules, which maximize the value of snookers well played, make it necessary.

In the far more offense-oriented 14.1, I have observed, over nearly 40 years of watching the game, that the full-cue jump shot, which is difficult to execute in the flow of play is, almost exclusively, used to recover from position poorly played, and not to get out of an opponent's well-played safety.

I am fundamentally opposed to the use of jump cues when a player has made a position error, and for this reason, feel the jump cue has no place in 14.1.

Yes, I just got home from the Olympics where I had a grand old time.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
At least I understand the argument that those who propose the jump stick in 9-ball make, which is that Texas Express rules, which maximize the value of snookers well played, make it necessary.

In the far more offense-oriented 14.1, I have observed, over nearly 40 years of watching the game, that the full-cue jump shot, which is difficult to execute in the flow of play is, almost exclusively used, to recover from position poorly played, and not to get out of an opponent's well-played safety.

I am fundamentally opposed to the use of jump cues when a player has made a position error, and for this reason, feel the jump cue has no place in 14.1.

I agree with Stu and would like to add to something. In 9 Ball you can only shoot at one particular ball, the lowest one, while 14.1 is not limited in this regard. This point alone is not in itself a reason to disallow jump cue but keep this concept in mind while considering the following:

In straight pool the stack is often used to hide behind when playing safeties. It is an integral part of the game to play safe off the pile, loosening some balls, while at the same time not giving your opponent a look at those balls you separated from the herd. Additionally, in 14.1 the proper safety is often not to leave your opponent frozen to a ball but rather frozen to a rail and away from the stack. The safety behind the pile is an example of this where you don't want to leave your opponent against the back of the stack where he can easily graze the stack and leave it undisturbed. You often would rather leave him on the foot rail behind the stack where he has a more difficult chore of playing a return safety without spreading the pile enough to leave you a look at an open ball.

If you allow jump cues it takes away plays like these - plays that are the proper ones. It eliminates an important part of the game if you must always leave your opponent frozen to a ball or to the stack to defend against the jump shot.

Last edited: