BCA pool league Fargo drama

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I think your league should try out the system in place for a while. One night isn't a great sample size to evaluate a change.

Our league uses Fargo ratings. Here's how I understand it:

Fargo is a penalty on the back end based on an average rating of 600. For example, if you would normally spot 7 balls, and your 4 player roster has a Fargo rate under 2400 (600 X 4 players), then you keep your spot. If you're fargo rate is over 2400, you spot an additional amount. Every 10 points, or 20, or 50, or whatever, is an additional amount. There is no downward movement on the spot. Only the stronger team is "penalized" by giving extra balls.

That is, we kept our old system and added a Fargo based correction for the strongest teams.

It seems to work for our league and I haven't heard any complaints. If you have a ringer team and 10 balls actually makes a difference, well...

-td

Our local BCA league has converted to using Fargo ratings for handicaps. If you’re not familiar with how the BCA league works the handicap system used to be you were rated 1 to 10. If you were on a team that had players that were all rated eight and he played a team that had players that were all rated sevens you would give up four balls per round.

Well we are now using our Fargo ratings for our handicap and last night was the first night. My team would have given up seven balls using the old handicap system but using the Fargo rate system we gave up 15 balls.

There are two teams in our league that has the top rated players and we have taken turns taking first and second place 95% of the time. Both of these teams lost every round last night. Everyone thinks it is way out of line and there are some people that are very upset.

Is this going on nationwide?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our local BCA league has converted to using Fargo ratings for handicaps. If you’re not familiar with how the BCA league works the handicap system used to be you were rated 1 to 10. If you were on a team that had players that were all rated eight and he played a team that had players that were all rated sevens you would give up four balls per round.

Well we are now using our Fargo ratings for our handicap and last night was the first night. My team would have given up seven balls using the old handicap system but using the Fargo rate system we gave up 15 balls.

There are two teams in our league that has the top rated players and we have taken turns taking first and second place 95% of the time. Both of these teams lost every round last night. Everyone thinks it is way out of line and there are some people that are very upset.

We give up so much weight that if we lose a single game we lose that round. It’s tough but we adjusted to it. It will make you focus better and play tighter.

You guys now need to play great to win. The difference is that now the weaker teams can play great and win too.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In the beginning, yes. First session to session and a half seemed like the handicaps were way out of whack. They do adjust though and once they do it seems very fair. Actually more fair than any other handicap system I have played with.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the beginning, yes. First session to session and a half seemed like the handicaps were way out of whack. They do adjust though and once they do it seems very fair. Actually more fair than any other handicap system I have played with.

This is what I was hoping to hear

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So 2 teams have the best players in the area? And they win first and second 95% of the time? Hardly an incentive for the other teams to even bother playing. Should the other teams name themselves “Fighting for 3rd?”

Looks like they are trying to straighten up the handicap system to make it more of a level playing field. They might be on the right track but they may also need some time to fine tune everything.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I was hoping to hear

Yes. It will get better. We have been all over the map - losing to the weakest teams on nights we didn't play great and beating the other strong teams by wide margins.

Now we are in 2nd place with 4 weeks to go. The added pressure has really made everyone on our team step up their game. It's been a net positive for us even if we don't win as much.

CSI Media

CueSports International
Silver Member
Fargorate

Here is an article that helps explain how FargoRate improves the 10-point system. We hope this helps.

It sounds like your league uses the 10-point system which previously used the "simple average" method to calculate handicaps but now it uses FargoRate to calculate handicaps. This article should help explain things.

Also, just to clarify, the BCA Pool League is a sanctioning body and we do not dictate any specific format, scoring or handicap system. Leagues are free to structure things the way they see fit.

Please contact us at 702-719-POOL if you have any questions.

Thank you.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can you post more information or send me more information privately? That's a surprising difference and leads me to think there may be an issue.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...] My team would have given up seven balls using the old handicap system but using the Fargo rate system we gave up 15 balls.
[...]

Here is roughly how it works. To get 15 points per round for 5 players using 10-point scoring requires a pretty big gap in skill, like shown here.

When the average gap is 160 points, the better team s expected to win 75% of the games. That's 3.75 out of 5. The weaker team will win 1.25. Of course you can't get fractional games in a round. But this is how it will average in the long haul.

So the better team will get 37.5 points for the games they won. And they will also get some points for the games they lose. If we guess that to be 4 points per lost game, that's another 5 points for their lost games. So an average round score for them will be 42.5

The weaker team will get 12.5 points for their wins and about 15 points for their losses. So an average round score will be 27.5.

If you are finding things way out of whack, there are a few possibilities:

(1) something is not set up right
(2) players who really play at 400 speed are playing by starter ratings of 300 or something.

???

Seeing an actual example might help clear things up. The image below comes from leaguecalc.fargorate.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 3.03.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 3.03.48 PM.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 3,603

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you post more information or send me more information privately? That's a surprising difference and leads me to think there may be an issue.

Here are the Fargo ratings for both teams I will also attach the score sheet

Attachments

• 10485FFD-50D4-4717-AB14-1DC205302F84.jpg
    10485FFD-50D4-4717-AB14-1DC205302F84.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 3,568

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the ratings from the previous week

Attachments

• D1B5DAF4-7679-4F05-AED7-0751A46E609D.jpg
    D1B5DAF4-7679-4F05-AED7-0751A46E609D.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 3,668

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the Lee Baldwin, Jerry Brunstetter, Shawn Mcintosh, Mike peters versus Terry Rottle, Chris Naddio, Geary Jones, Joe Morris

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the rest of the standings

Attachments

• 7A2923B6-142A-456B-BD0C-3D84552C4743.jpg
    7A2923B6-142A-456B-BD0C-3D84552C4743.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 3,575

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]
[...] Everyone thinks it is way out of line and there are some people that are very upset.

[...]

A few comments looking at your scoresheet

(1) The two teams are almost 200 points apart in average rating. If the ratings are accurate, then in the long hall this higher-rated team will win games at nearly a 4-to-1 ratio over the lower rated team. Here they won only at a 2-to-1 ratio. So they under-performed and/or the low team over-performed.

(2) There are only 16 games in a match, so you will see some big fluctuations.

(3) Many of the players on both teams do not have established Fargo Ratings, and so starter guesses are playing a role here.

Take Joe Morris for instance.

Joe has a starter rating of 375 and a "play as" rating of 404. Here he won 3 of his 4 games beating a 620, a 534, and a 654 in rounds 2, 3, and 4. Had Joe LOST the games in round 2 or round 3, like he usually would, those rounds would have gone the other way. And had Joe lost the game against the 654 by a score of 10-3, that round too would have gone the other way.

So we're just Joe's three pretty big upset games away from the good team winning three of four rounds.

Joe, playing as a 404, not only beat the 620, 534, and 654. But with 36 points for the night, he scored higher higher than any of them overall.

I think we have a night that was supposed to be a blowout by the lower-rated team.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it sounds like we may have started the Fargo rating system too soon before player’s actual ratings were established.

To go from giving seven balls to giving 15 balls is a bit of a shock but it sounds like it will level out thank you so much for everyone’s input

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Follow up question: we live in a small county (Kitsap County) and the top two teams are all rated nines. We are fully aware that if we went and played in a more populated county that we would most likely be rated eights.

Would our Fargo ratings also be over rated Because we are consistently playing weaker players?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it sounds like we may have started the Fargo rating system too soon before player’s actual ratings were established.

To go from giving seven balls to giving 15 balls is a bit of a shock but it sounds like it will level out thank you so much for everyone’s input

No I don't think you started too soon. I think things are about right. Your league operator might want to review his or her starter guesses.

For instance Joe Morris, who I talked about earlier has a starter of 375, and he has been performing at 456-speed for 96 games. Your league operator can bump up that 375 anywhere up to 456. But this is not that big a deal.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Follow up question: we live in a small county (Kitsap County) and the top two teams are all rated nines. We are fully aware that if we went and played in a more populated county that we would most likely be rated eights.

Would our Fargo ratings also be over rated Because we are consistently playing weaker players?

No. That is an effect for averages, as you say. But not for Fargo Ratings.