There's only one way to settle it.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
The only way to settle the argument of who is the better straight pool player is to go old school and do a few matches to say a thousand or twelve hundred points.....each match. On any given day one of those guys could catch a gear and burn the other one. What if John shows up and isn't feeling well or is out of stroke? Same for Danny? Both of them excel at what they do and one single game isn't going to determine who the better player is. All that is going to do is fuel the fire.

And while I'm on that, both of you need to get past this stuff. I can fully understand a rivalry but this thing has gotten so far that the 2 of you can't even be in the same room together to play a simple grudge match? Please, life is too short for that kind of crap.
MULLY

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Mullyman,
In the old days, whenever a World Champion 14.1 player had a challenge match, it was often decided just as you mentioned. Blocks of 150 until somebody reached the total of 1,500. Running scores were kept and then on the last day, it was whoever got to 1,500 first. That is an excellent idea to really hammer home who is who.

Here's an idea to sweeten the pot. If we have enough interested people, maybe we can each put up $50.00 or so into an escrow account or something. Everybody anywhere trusts Jay Helfert so maybe he could handle and keep track of the monies contributed. Advertise this with potential sponsors and have it recorded on T.A.R. Give it an ad or two in the pool mags for build-up and then have the players each put up "X" amount also, winner take everything.

sausage

Banned
yeah, but there is more to 14.1 than just running balls. that's why they have matches. knowing your opponents strengths and weaknesses is part of the game and safety play is part of that equation.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
yeah, but there is more to 14.1 than just running balls. that's why they have matches. knowing your opponents strengths and weaknesses is part of the game and safety play is part of that equation.

I'm missing your point sausage. Don't you think that in a match race to 1,500 all of what you said would naturally come up in that match?

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Yep, Terry, old school is the way to get it done. I've just never liked the idea of a single match for anything other than tournament play. Single matches mean nothing. I love the idea of 1500 over the course of a weekend or something and maybe do that 3 or 4 times a year. The most consistent player will come out on top.
MULLY