CTE Journey

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
60% is not near good enough for me. 60% will keep you (as DiLiberto is fond of saying) "sleeping in the park".
I got to have a 95% make rate.
And actually when you analyze it, that shouldn't be something that cannot be attained. After all, the balls are just sitting there, not moving.
It infuriates me when I miss a shot.....I wouldn't have pulled the trigger in the first place if I didn't think it was dead on.
I hate this game. :) :)

Ha ha ... I understand. I hate missing ONE shot. But I have to tell myself to learn from EVERY shot and thus my percentages will go up. I have too much pride to be happy long-term with 60%. I'll get there. Just as in my music rehearsal time I make every second a valuable one.

I just watched a match between Shane VB and Rory Hendrickson. According to the commentators Rory only plays once a week. How can that be?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan SEEMS to contradict himself in his teachings (e.g. on his DVD he states that "it's ok to look directly down the 45 degree aim point", then later gives a YT video on improving that line). But! ... when watching Stan's videos (& DVD) one has to remember to give the guy a break as he is sharing his knowledge as he discovers and tests it. I'm thankful that he has done so. In a later series he says he has come full circle.

My observation is that Stan was ripping guys on AZ for even mentioning contact points and ghost balls while at the same time in 2017 Bob Nunley was putting out several videos on using contact points and ghost balls. Bob describes himself as a "CTE Pro1 Instructor." I hope Bob get's Stan's book so they are on the same page.

I only mention this because if you are confused it isn't necessarily your fault. Many people are confused and the new book and Truth Series are advertised to clear everything up as Spider says.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Hmmm... interesting experience. Stan said it would eventually become subconcious - of course I haven't and never will be able to put in that amount of time (I can do about 10 hrs / week. If the shot is 15/O using a left visual sweep I just bend over and make the ball probably 60% of the time or more (I'm left handed). But - I see CTE leading to another challenge - and that is the necessary application of self dicipline. Sometimes I feel so overconfident with it that I actually don't take the time to really aim and then ... miss the shot. Every one is different and that problem is completely on me ... not CTE. Thanks for sharing.

That's the "high" I was speaking of.

I got so used to just nailing SOME shots, I forgot how to shoot pool. That sounds stupid, but it's how it worked for me. Others' mileage will vary.

Jeff Livingston

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the "high" I was speaking of.

I got so used to just nailing SOME shots, I forgot how to shoot pool. That sounds stupid, but it's how it worked for me. Others' mileage will vary.

Jeff Livingston

That can happen to anybody who is a confident and consistent shot maker. I wouldn't blame any particular system or method. It's just overconfidence.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
That can happen to anybody who is a confident and consistent shot maker. I wouldn't blame any particular system or method. It's just overconfidence.

Nah....it was more than that. I've shot my million shots so I've been through many such waves before.

The backhand/cte phenom is addicting. I had a guy who didn't know I knew about it showing me how to pot a ball using it. He was so astounded by it, he complained that the pool world had been hiding this knowledge from him and the rest of us for decades. If there is one secret to pool, this is it.

It's THAT addicting, I tell ya.

Don't do CTE...just say 'no.' :smile:

Jeff Livingston

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My observation is that Stan was ripping guys on AZ for even mentioning contact points and ghost balls while at the same time in 2017 Bob Nunley was putting out several videos on using contact points and ghost balls. Bob describes himself as a "CTE Pro1 Instructor." I hope Bob get's Stan's book so they are on the same page.

I only mention this because if you are confused it isn't necessarily your fault. Many people are confused and the new book and Truth Series are advertised to clear everything up as Spider says.

Only one thing to use a CP for in CTE, to help get the proper reference line. After that you better forget about it. And experienced CTE players will not need to do this

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sacman, I know you think I am some kind of enemy, but I'm not. I'm happy your game is improving so well. That being said, I have to comment on what you said above about contact points. You ARE NOT using Stan's system if you are using contact points as a reference point. Whatever you ARE doing is not what Stan teaches and maybe that is what is giving you some trouble.

Here are some comments from Stan to Brian, BC21 who was discussing contact points:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5998300&postcount=70

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5998644&postcount=75

Use or don't use this information to help your progress as you chooose.

Funny you mentioned BC21 as he has readily admitted to misinterpreting some of Stan's work on CTE and this is an instance of that.
Must take a lot of time to dig up this useless stuff.
Anyways, as a beginner you could use the CP in helping you choose the proper reference line. Once that reference line is chosen contact points are TOTALLY disregarded and have nothing more to do with CTE. So in reality they have nothing to do with CTE.
Why not just leave these guys alone and let them enjoy there continued growth with CTE. STOP MUDDYING THE WATERS.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah....it was more than that. I've shot my million shots so I've been through many such waves before.

The backhand/cte phenom is addicting. I had a guy who didn't know I knew about it showing me how to pot a ball using it. He was so astounded by it, he complained that the pool world had been hiding this knowledge from him and the rest of us for decades. If there is one secret to pool, this is it.

It's THAT addicting, I tell ya.

Don't do CTE...just say 'no.' :smile:

Jeff Livingston

Yeah I guess I couldn't possibly know what it's like to feel Invincible at the table after a lifetime of playing.:rolleyes:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what you mean by that, sorry.

Jeff Livingston

It sounded like you were saying that I couldn't possibly understand what it is to have the feeling that you can't miss because I don't have the benefit of whatever aiming system you are fond of. Some newbies (which you are not) who have only played a couple of years think they know things nobody else could possibly understand. My apologies if I misunderstood you, but that is kind of what you implied.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny you mentioned BC21 as he has readily admitted to misinterpreting some of Stan's work on CTE and this is an instance of that.

He was being diplomatic, as usual.

Must take a lot of time to dig up this useless stuff.

Search "contact point" under Stan's posts and these are the first things that come up. Took all of 5 seconds. It isn't useless. Sacman is progressing nicely but there is some contradictory information out there.

Why not just leave these guys alone and let them enjoy there continued growth with CTE. STOP MUDDYING THE WATERS.

How about we not attack each other and focus more on sacman's thread? I don't have anything else to add unless sacman becomes interested in that subject.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. Sacman is progressing nicely but there is some contradictory information out there.

There are mis interpretations of Stan's work out there for sure. But Sacman is doing just fine. I didn't attack you, just asked you not to keep drudging up the mis interpretations.

PS you really shouldn't focus on any CTE thread.
Sacman was giving you guys what you wanted. Consistent updates on his CTE journey. No need for anyone to really comment

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It sounded like you were saying that I couldn't possibly understand what it is to have the feeling that you can't miss because I don't have the benefit of whatever aiming system you are fond of. Some newbies (which you are not) who have only played a couple of years think they know things nobody else could possibly understand. My apologies if I misunderstood you, but that is kind of what you implied.

No, I wasn't pointing at you. I see you're getting some crap here from others...but I'm not doing that and really wasn't caring about that as I deal with it often on azb myself.

My post probably wasn't clear on what I meant.

What I'm saying is that using this technique is like using a stimulant. It works like magic but is too strong for me, so to speak, so I've changed the drug from cocaine to caffeine, so it still works but doesn't overwhelm me. That is, I've reduced the amount I backhand to a more controllable (to me) level.

It isn't too much confidence that was the problem, but too little confidence (that comes from only having done it often enough before). As I so easily potted balls, I had thoughts, for example, of this ruining the game itself by making it too easy, and crazy shit like that. It took me off my true game. I had to quit it (sounds more and more like addiction, eh?) for a few months, worked hard to get back my old game, and then figured out a way to use this power more effectively and in control. So, I did that.

Hello, my name is Jeff Livingston, I'm a backhandalholic,

Jeff Livingston

stockbob55

Registered
Re

I guess I just don't get the challenge - but good luck with it.

pj
chgo

The OP is on a journey learning CTE, I am sure that he will find it somewhat
challenging when he gets to that point.

We all learn new skills differently.

Whether you find it easy or difficult does not really help with his progress.

.....Good luck