A new way to play cue ball fouls only (kinda)

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
These days I play a few times a week with the same friends. No gambling, just serious competition between friends.

We had always played cue ball fouls only. But this time I thought we could add a twist to it, and we like the way it worked out.

Everything remains the same, except, if you touch an object ball, it is a 5 point penalty, and you can continue shooting just as in cue ball fouls only. Your opponent still has the option to replace the ball if it is actually moved. The 5 point penalties do not count for the 3 foul rule.

You may like to try it, we liked it.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 5 point penalty really worked, imo. It does add to the level of care taken while bridging near other balls. We both had 1 five point foul today.
btw, you can put 3+stop down for a high 50 or low 60. I would say just give him the 60. It is not his fault his opponent can't count.
steven

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
If you're going to make it a 5 point penalty for touching another ball you might as well just make it a foul.....as it should be. I'm totally in the camp that thinks touching anything other than the cue ball should be a foul.
MULLY

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If you're going to make it a 5 point penalty for touching another ball you might as well just make it a foul.....as it should be. I'm totally in the camp that thinks touching anything other than the cue ball should be a foul.
MULLY

Well, the idea here mully, is to not loose your inning in a friendly home game for merely touching an OB, but at the same time raise awareness, and invoke a slight penalty.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Fair enough. You know, I started playing pool in America but early on I moved to Japan and have been here for the past 20 years. It's always been all ball fouls over here and I've just grown accustomed to it. When I watched John's DVD, with his high run, he nudged a ball and kept shooting. In my opinion the run stopped there. hehe!!
MULLY

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MOST pro. tournys in the U.S. are cue ball fouls only. With no referee it just makes sense. I think that is the reason.
steven

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Very good

Well, the idea here mully, is to not loose your inning in a friendly home game for merely touching an OB, but at the same time raise awareness, and invoke a slight penalty.

It is a very good idea. I like the 5 point penalty but it can only be done with very, very good friends.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... With no referee it just makes sense. I think that is the reason. ...
If you can trust your opponent to make fair calls -- and yourself to make them as well -- then there is no problem playing all fouls. I think it is a better way to play.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
If you can trust your opponent to make fair calls -- and yourself to make them as well -- then there is no problem playing all fouls. I think it is a better way to play.

Another reason I love living in Japan. The people here are honest enough to give up the table if they foul. Even if no one sees it. I've walked away to the bathroom and have come back to the table with the guy I'm playing sitting there with the cueball in his hand waiting for me. Asked if he scratched and he said he nudged the cueball with the tip while doing his warm up strokes. This is extremely common in this country.
MULLY

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Let me chime in with a "me too".

I don't want to be critical of the OP - but I would go so far as to say
I would rather play 'no fouls' than 'CB only fouls' - to me, it just
doesn't make any sence to play fouls on one but not the other.
I do understand - there is an overwhelming reluctance on the part of
most players to play OB fouls. Mostly, they seem to think it makes
things too complicated, as far as I can tell.

IMHO- just the opposite is true - CB only, overcomplicates play.

Rant mode off... :)

to Bob - this reminds me of a post you made, I believe on the same
subject, where you said something to the effect of
" only American players don't want to play by all the rules",
now one of my fave quotations.

Dale<trying not to foul>