Grip Hand Pressure

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read many times on here and been told before that you don't want to increase the pressure on your grip hand as you stroke the shot.

So, my question is this. Is there a problem with having a solid firm grip hand from the start? With, perhaps, more than enough grip pressure to hold that cue quite firm?

If the issue is to be sure and NOT increase your grip hand pressure during the stroke/shot then is there really anything wrong with having a real solid grip on the cue from the start?

r/DCP

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
grip pressure

I think the biggest problem is changeing grip pressure during the swing. Clenching, grabbing and twisting all cause the tip to move and not hitting the cue ball where you are aiming. Whatever pressure you start with you finish with.

I have found that not pulling the cue tip back all the way to your bridge hand leads to a shortened back swing and a clench to get through the cue ball. This causes misses. Watch how all great players bring their cue way back.

So not changing your grip during the swing is key.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I've read many times on here and been told before that you don't want to increase the pressure on your grip hand as you stroke the shot.

So, my question is this. Is there a problem with having a solid firm grip hand from the start? With, perhaps, more than enough grip pressure to hold that cue quite firm?

If the issue is to be sure and NOT increase your grip hand pressure during the stroke/shot then is there really anything wrong with having a real solid grip on the cue from the start?

r/DCP

If it’s firm enough your gonna piston stroke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

Try this. With your hand down at your side, make a fist. Very loosely, don't squeeze, just enough that everthing's touching.
Now take note of what you feel in your forearm. Don't feel anything, right?
Gradually increase your grip pressure. Now what do you feel in the forearm?
There's your answer. Anything that introduces tension in your forearm, upper arm or shoulder is not good.
JMO, not an instructor.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
On a scale of 1 to 10, some players do super with 1, some play well with 3 or 4. The problem is that 3 or 4 is less than most people think, and that tension can make 3 or 4 a 5 or 6 and a choke.

How do you monitor your grip tension throughout a session?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

This question is misleading because it can be interpreted in several different ways. The only time a change in grip pressure gets you in trouble is when you don't know what you're doing. There are actually some very effective things you can accomplish with an intentional change in grip pressure at a key moment in your execution.

Because you used the word " real" before 'solid grip,' it sounds like you're asking about really clamping down in order to stop yourself from changing your grip throughout your stroke. There are natural changes in grip pressure as your arm moves backwards and forwards. Are you looking to prevent those?

So what exactly are you trying to prevent by asking about tightening up your grip? Have you directly experienced missed shots due to your grip pressure or are you just asking in theory?

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things here:

Fran,
1) I don't want to change my grip pressure as I shoot. It seems at times that my grip gets tighter rather than staying loose.
2) I've noticed if I do grip the cue tighter that it seems I have more confidence as opposed to a lighter grip.

BilliardsAbout,

On a scale of 1-10 I am talking about a 6 or 7 in terms of grip pressure.

r/Mike

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things here:

Fran,1) I don't want to change my grip pressure as I shoot. It seems at times that my grip gets tighter rather than staying loose.

Try this little experiment and see if your shot making improves. It might open your eyes. As you begin your forward stroke, accelerate as usual but just as you are about to make contact with the cue ball, think about easing up on your grip. Just let the tension in your hand relax just before contact, but don't drop the cue! It is easy to try this and you might learn something from it.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Try this little experiment and see if your shot making improves. It might open your eyes. As you begin your forward stroke, accelerate as usual but just as you are about to make contact with the cue ball, think about easing up on your grip. Just let the tension in your hand relax just before contact, but don't drop the cue! It is easy to try this and you might learn something from it.

Great suggestion, Dan. There's also the "triple loosen draw", loosen to pull back, loosen at the end of the backswing, loosen to come through. Experiment over a variety of draw shot distances.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

r/DCP

Varner yrs ago expressed this question in a manner easy to understand. He said it's like grabbing a can of coke. You hold it, but don't crush it while drinking it.

Take a look at Bustys back hand some time in match play at the recent Derby matches on youtube.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varner yrs ago expressed this question in a manner easy to understand. He said it's like grabbing a can of coke. You hold it, but don't crush it while drinking it.

Take a look at Bustys back hand some time in match play at the recent Derby matches on youtube.

Hohmann once said that if you look at his grip it appears he is holding the cue very tight. However, that is misleading. His hand is more like a cage that the cue is sitting inside, loosely.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things here:

Fran,
1) I don't want to change my grip pressure as I shoot. It seems at times that my grip gets tighter rather than staying loose.
2) I've noticed if I do grip the cue tighter that it seems I have more confidence as opposed to a lighter grip.

BilliardsAbout,

On a scale of 1-10 I am talking about a 6 or 7 in terms of grip pressure.

r/Mike

Well, then, you have to experiment. Improvement is a process that takes time and experimentation. Tighten your grip a little and see what happens over time. Having confidence is important. You can't move forward with your progress without confidence. Do what makes you feel confident for now. Later you may decide to do some tweaking on your grip pressure.