John Schmidt Watch - May 2019

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could not even imagine getting to 500, and knowing only 27 more to go. That's some pressure.

I hope he does it. And I like Wilie as much as anyone else. But, lets get off the "comparing" tables, cues, balls, chalk, cloth, etc. A record is a record.

I'm pretty sure baseballs, bats, gloves, fence distance, etc were not all the same in the 1920s compared to now. But, nobody in baseball brings that up when records are broken, so neither should pool players.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they switched to an 8 footer at Derby City, 527 would fall in the very first year, and 1,000 would be quite possible. Even so, I'd call a 1,000 on an eight footer much less of an accomplishment than Cranfield's 420 on a 10-footer.

Switching to an 8-footer would be like lowering the basket on a basketball court. A lot more people could dunk!

John will get the exhibition record on a 9-footer. I'm very confident of it. Patience.

Probably so and if Willie decided to take a month to beat his own record he would have shattered that several times heck he walked out on a over 400 exhibition local here because the room owner wouldn't flip the bill for him to stay

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of these three runs were misses or scratches on the break ball. With John’s Facebook video, he said he was both elated and ready to jump off the proverbial bridge. At 450, he started really tightening up.

Edit: the youtube video shows 421, which suggests he missed the ball after the break

Freddie <~~~ tightens at 28

I know what you mean as I have missed so ma my on 28 that I can't even s taart to count them. But the several misses on 42 have been the real heart breakers as I have only broke 50 a few times.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Probably so and if Willie decided to take a month to beat his own record he would have shattered that several times heck he walked out on a over 400 exhibition local here because the room owner wouldn't flip the bill for him to stay

Agreed on that. Willie wasn't terribly interested in setting an unapproachable high run record. He was, quite clearly, a better player than Babe Cranfield, who ran over 700 twice, with 768 his best. Had Mosconi been as obsessed with a high run as Cranfield or Schmidt, there's little doubt in my mind that the record would be well over 1,000.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When he breaks the record, and I'm sure he will, it needs to be national news. It would be a big boost for pool and John. Is anyone of consequence with media ties working with him to publicize the record-breaking run when it happens? Barry Hearn? Joe Rogan? He should be booked on the Today Show, Good Morning America, the late-night shows, etc.

That is a fantasy, spoken to those who share your passion.

How about the first person to to a triple flip on a trampoline? Can you recount that without research?

Maybe an easier one? The first man to do a quad on ice?

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding folks clueless or misinformed about Straight Pool (my lifelong favorite game) one way I've found *very* useful whenever a non-player onlooker, or a beginner who's genuinely curious about what's involved, is to always first ask them if they enjoyed the "Hustler" movie. Unfailingly they've seen it and immediately state what a great film it is and how skillfully the Newman and Gleason characters appeared to be playing -- rack-after-rack -- for hours . . . and when asked, they suddenly remember that periodically they heard "That's 125 . . . Game" loudly announced by the rack man.

Connecting them to the movie seems to subtly trigger their remembrance of at least three prime characteristics of the game that moviegoers were witnessing and enjoying -- (innocent of any real 14.1 knowledge): (a) the continuous nature of the racks; (b) the accumulation of points . . . one at a time; and (c) the sustained excellence required to reach that figurative 125 for a win each time.

By always bringing up the movie, I've -- in a friendly way-- brought many folks from the point of being totally "clueless" (or grossly misinformed) to being actually eager to learn much more about the Straight Pool game that was repeatedly referred to in the film they liked so much.

In my experience, even the notion and purpose of 14.1 "Safety" play when no realistic shot was available, was readily grasped by almost all non-players in the audience seeing the film then or now, with no on-screen explanation required.

Try the above correlative technique and you'll have the genuine pleasure of seeing piqued-curiosity, sudden remembrance/awareness, and more than a few light bulb moments. Pleasures that sustain anyone teaching any worthwhile endeavor.

Arnaldo

I have a 14.1 "that's how I run" sticker on my car. I have yet to have anyone understand what it means.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 14.1 "that's how I run" sticker on my car. I have yet to have anyone understand what it means.
Mort Sahl once humorously observed that "Bumper stickers publicly announce the social neediness of the car owner and the attention span of the average reader." :)

Arnaldo

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Agreed on that. Willie wasn't terribly interested in setting an unapproachable high run record. He was, quite clearly, a better player than Babe Cranfield, who ran over 700 twice, with 768 his best. Had Mosconi been as obsessed with a high run as Cranfield or Schmidt, there's little doubt in my mind that the record would be well over 1,000.

I'll somewhat agree with you, not sure about over 1,000. I will relate a conversation a few of us had with Luther Lassiter during the first legends tournament, Atlantic City, 1982. One of us asked Luther who he thought the best straight pool player was. Luther replied, "Mosconi won the most tournaments, but the one with the most knowledge, was Cranfield, but don't tell him I said so." Luther came in third in that tournament.

Great discussion, and to keep it relevant, there is a difference between practice and tournament. Tournaments, I would give it to Mosconi, with Sigel, Mizerak, and Lassiter close. Practice and knowledge, nobody comes close to Cranfield.

I hope John does it, because I'm sick of hearing about the record of 526 on a smaller table. It would be good to have a record beyond the rest, on today's standard table. If so, it might make the Guiness Book of World Records have to do an edit. Other than that though, it won't make much news media.

All the best,
WW

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt has now run in the 400's 7 times:

490 -- 5/15/2019 at Easy Street Billiards in Monterey, CA. Ended with a miss on a difficult break shot for the 36th rack.

464 -- 4/16/2019 at Bull Shooters Billiards & Sports Bar in Phoenix, AZ. Ended with a miss on a long, nearly straight shot after the break shot (made 2 balls) in the 34th rack.

434 -- 12/3/2018 at Easy Street Billiards. Ended with a scratch (a massé-like turn of the cue ball) on the break shot for the 32nd rack.

421 -- 5/9/2019 at Easy Street Billiards. Ended on a jacked-up miss of the 2nd ball of the 31st rack.

407 -- 11/(27±2)/2019 at Easy Street Billiards

403 -- 10/13/2007 at Q-Master Billiards in Virginia Beach, VA

400 -- 6/28/2004 at Hidden Pocket Billiards in Milton, FL

[If anyone is certain of any other details on the 407, 403, or 400, please let us know. And let me know of any errors in the above info.]

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt has now run in the 400's 7 times:

490 -- 5/15/2019 at Easy Street Billiards in Monterey, CA. Ended with a miss on a difficult break shot for the 36th rack.

464 -- 4/16/2019 at Bull Shooters Billiards & Sports Bar in Phonenix, AZ. Ended with a miss on a long, nearly straight shot after the break shot (made 2 balls) in the 34th rack.

434 -- 12/3/2018 at Easy Street. Ended with a scratch (a massé-like turn of the cue ball) on the break shot for the 32nd rack.

421 -- 5/9/2019 at Easy Street Billiards. Ended on a jacked-up miss of the 2nd ball of the 31st rack.

400 -- 6/28/2004 at Hidden Pocket Billiards in Milton, FL.

[If anyone is certain of any other details on the 407, 403, or 400, please let us know. And let me know of any errors in the above info.]

He truly is Mr. 400--what an impressive list and I noticed the 10 year gap when he focused on rotation pool.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt has now "proof watched" his record run from earlier this week, confirming that it was 626. So here's a list of all 8 of his 400+ runs:

626 -- 5/27/2019 at Easy Street Billiards in Monterrey, CA. Ended with a miss on a combination shot after making 10 balls in the 45th rack.

490 -- 5/15/2019 at Easy Street Billiards. Ended with a miss on a difficult break shot for the 36th rack.

464 -- 4/16/2019 at Bull Shooters Billiards & Sports Bar in Phonenix, AZ. Ended with a miss on a long, nearly straight shot after the break shot (made 2 balls) in the 34th rack.

434 -- 12/3/2018 at Easy Street Billiards. Ended with a scratch (a massé-like turn of the cue ball) on the break shot for the 32nd rack.

400 -- 6/28/2004 at Hidden Pocket Billiards in Milton, FL

[If anyone is certain of any other details on the 407, 403, or 400, please let us know. And let me know of any errors in the above info.