Proper cue storage to avoid warping problems?

plfrg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just noticed my predator shaft has a slight warp in it. The tip doesn't come off the table but I can see the wobble when I roll it. First time I've noticed it. It's about 4 years old now. Might be a seasonal thing as I don't make a habit of checking it often.

My question is: do any of the cue experts here recommend the best way to store a playing cue to avoid warping?

Lately I've been lazy and have left my cue laying on my table instead of putting it in the cue rack on my wall or unscrewing and putting in my case. It's not like it's been there for months but a day or two at a time laying horizontal on my table. It's in a good temperature controlled area (my house) so that shouldn't be an issue.

My options are:
1. Keep the cue screwed together and put it in my wall rack

2. Unscrew the cue and store it in a good case - and keep the case vertical

3. Unscrew the cue and store it in a good case - it doesn't matter whether it's vertical or not.

4. Keep it screwed together and lay it flat on the table. The lazy and possibly warp inducing option.

I've seen one reference to hanging shafts vertically from the tip. By tying a string around the ferrule I assume? Not sure I would do that unless it was fast. My wife isn't particularly fond of seeing my pool $hit spread all over the place so I'm not sure this option will work anyway.

I couldn't find another thread that specifically recommended a method. This is not for a collector cue. It's for my everyday playing cues.

Thanks for any advice.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I just noticed my predator shaft has a slight warp in it. The tip doesn't come off the table but I can see the wobble when I roll it. First time I've noticed it. It's about 4 years old now. Might be a seasonal thing as I don't make a habit of checking it often.

My question is: do any of the cue experts here recommend the best way to store a playing cue to avoid warping?

Lately I've been lazy and have left my cue laying on my table instead of putting it in the cue rack on my wall or unscrewing and putting in my case. It's not like it's been there for months but a day or two at a time laying horizontal on my table. It's in a good temperature controlled area (my house) so that shouldn't be an issue.

My options are:
1. Keep the cue screwed together and put it in my wall rack

2. Unscrew the cue and store it in a good case - and keep the case vertical

3. Unscrew the cue and store it in a good case - it doesn't matter whether it's vertical or not.

4. Keep it screwed together and lay it flat on the table. The lazy and possibly warp inducing option.

I've seen one reference to hanging shafts vertically from the tip. By tying a string around the ferrule I assume? Not sure I would do that unless it was fast. My wife isn't particularly fond of seeing my pool $hit spread all over the place so I'm not sure this option will work anyway.

I couldn't find another thread that specifically recommended a method. This is not for a collector cue. It's for my everyday playing cues.

Thanks for any advice.

I've often wondered if there's any risk to leaving a cue laying on a table. My main playing cue is always put in my case but I have other cues including a nice Schon that stays in my wall case vertical. I'm curious to see more comments. :cool:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
First it is important to buy products that are made from good quality wood that has been properly aged and properly turned.

Storage of cue when not being used is very important, however, if the above steps have not been taken the cue may still warp no matter how it is stored.

When storing your cues do not store them near a source of heat or extreme cold. The best temperature to store cues is around 68 to 74 degrees in area with good air circulation, this is why storing a cue in your car is such a bad idea, but many people still do it. The cues should be disassembled and stored in a good quality hard case, soft cases may will offer the protection needed if something is dropped or falls on the case during storage.

Hope this helps

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Not sure if it's better together or apart, but I would definitely store it vertically rather than laying down. I store all my cues joint up (bumper and tip down).

You can get cue hangers to hang your cue. They are sort of like finger cuffs only rubbery. The idea is the weight of the cue and gravity will keep it straight. Some claim they will straighten a small amount of warp, but I can't vouch for that. They're not expensive. For example, J&J has them for $3. Here's what they look like:

http://www.jjcue.com/accessories5.htm

Not sure if they are strong enough to hang on to an entire cue forever but certainly it's no problem hanging a shaft. Abe from Abe's Billiards did a neat thing where he attached one of these to the underside of a cue claw to hold his jump cue when at the hall.

Last edited:

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stored in a good case is the best advice, but should the case lay (horizontally), stand (vertically) or doesn't it matter, is my question...

plfrg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if it's better together or apart, but I would definitely store it vertically rather than laying down. I store all my cues joint up (bumper and tip down).

You can get cue hangers to hang your cue. They are sort of like finger cuffs only rubbery. The idea is the weight of the cue and gravity will keep it straight. Some claim they will straighten a small amount of warp, but I can't vouch for that. They're not expensive. For example, J&J has them for $3. Here's what they look like:

http://www.jjcue.com/accessories5.htm

Not sure if they are strong enough to hang on to an entire cue forever but certainly it's no problem hanging a shaft. Abe from Abe's Billiards did a neat thing where he attached one of these to the underside of a cue claw to hold his jump cue when at the hall.

interesting idea with the cue hangers. I'm real fussy with my cues and it bums me out a little to think my laziness may have caused a $220 shaft to warp...probably never know for sure. Thanks for the ideas.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Stored in a good case is the best advice, but should the case lay (horizontally), stand (vertically) or doesn't it matter, is my question...

If you have a quality case that holds the snug not tight it doesn't matter if it is vertical or laying down flat, a good case will support the cue either way. This is why it is important when you by a case to know what you are buying and how it is designed.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
The shaft may have warped for several reasons, not necessarily because it is laid on a table.

Buy a quality case, and put your cue away after each use. A quality case is one in which it's orientation should NOT matter, because the internals of the case are supporting, without force, the shaft and butt. Preventing warping.

My advice, buy a case designed by JB. Whether an Instroke, Sterling Wave or his very own customs. Whitten is excellent also.

Those are the cases I use, and I have never had a shaft warp ever. Not any damage to cues, despite those cases taking some significant drops (during travel).

I don't trust any of the bazillion other kinds of production cases out there, because I have no idea what the internal protection is like, or what is going on inside the case (lack of protection, pressure on shafts etcetera). Most do not have full protection of liners. The butts and shafts aren't 100% isolated. They do this to cheap out on materials and manufacture time (labor).

You get what you pay for. Most cases are junk. They do not completely encase the shaft and butt, and they rub against one another at the bottom of the case where you can never see.

Don't destroy a cue costing hundreds of dollars, perhaps thousands because of a bad case. These days, the best protection you can get can be had for just a little over $100 (Sterling Wave). Cheap insurance if you ask me. These are good times we live in. It used to be 3x that price and more to get that kind of protection. It's never been cheaper to have the best.

It amazes me how many people have junk cases. Some of which cost as much as the Sterling Wave or more, and don't have 1/2 the features or protection. In fact, these cases are a timebomb, just a matter of time till the cue is damaged. Everyone thinks they're fine because their crappy case worked well for them for years and years. Well, they are unaware of what can happen, that's why. Vast majority of cases fail certain drop tests miserably.

It's like saying you don't want a car with airbags because you've never been in an accident and you've always been fine.

chris2669

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think might actually be the predator shafts. I also have two older shafts from 2000 or 2001 made for a McDermott and another cue. About four years goes by and still in California they both had a slight wobble to them through the center of the shaft. I still use one of them from time to time but neither have gotten to the point of where the tip lifts from table. Still wobbles in the center.

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
# 2 of course :thumbup:
I store all my cases in a U-HAUL golf bag shipping box...It's a perfect fit and all my cases stand straight up and secure...:thumbup:
Clint

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Vertical, in a hard case is best...in the same conditions all others named, in climate controlled area. If your table is in the basement or garage, might not be best; I keep mine in cases vertical in a closet off the living room. I've got cues stored that way for over 20 years, not a hint of trouble. As your collection grows, it's important "to exercise" them from time to time...just take one out and use it for a session every now and then. Like all fine wood products (violins, etc.) pool cues do good with frequent contact with your warm, oily hands.

Hanging cues is okay for trying to correct slight wobble/warpage, but I'm not comfortable as a permanent long term storage option, not sure what the rubber would do to the ferrules or shaft wood if left in constant contact for so long--not saying there would be a problem, but I wouldn't want to the the guy that pulls an old collectable out of a cabinet after years hanging there only to find out the dye in the rubber leached out into my shaft.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
Another quick thought. The worst thing you can do IMO is to lean your cue against the wall when playing. I know it should be obvious but I see it all the time with the league players. Breaks my heart to see a nice Schon or Predator mistreated... :cool:

Last edited:

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Ive been told moisture from the slate can warp a cue if it's kept laying flat on the table for long periods of time. I keep mine broken down, in a good case, with joint protectors. I've never paid much attention to whether the case was always upright or not. I've never had a problem with a cue or even a shaft warping.

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing that keeping your cues in a cue rack with proper temperature and humidity is still not as good as keeping them in a case? I've never had any problems with my cues in a case but I also have an antique cue rack that I'd like to use. Again, the room is kept at a constant temperature and the humidity level is kept constant too. What do you think?

plfrg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vertical, in a hard case is best...in the same conditions all others named, in climate controlled area. If your table is in the basement or garage, might not be best; I keep mine in cases vertical in a closet off the living room. I've got cues stored that way for over 20 years, not a hint of trouble. As your collection grows, it's important "to exercise" them from time to time...just take one out and use it for a session every now and then. Like all fine wood products (violins, etc.) pool cues do good with frequent contact with your warm, oily hands.

Hanging cues is okay for trying to correct slight wobble/warpage, but I'm not comfortable as a permanent long term storage option, not sure what the rubber would do to the ferrules or shaft wood if left in constant contact for so long--not saying there would be a problem, but I wouldn't want to the the guy that pulls an old collectable out of a cabinet after years hanging there only to find out the dye in the rubber leached out into my shaft.

I think this is what I will do to be safe - in a case and vertical. It seems like even if I have them in a case, if they are horizontal for long periods of time I don't know how much different it is from laying a shaft on a table. Sometimes I push the case under a couch or bed...

If it's vertical at least the forces are far less likely to ever be a factor. Then I will know if one warps it was due to a flawed shaft or some other factor - assuming a good case is used...

Thanks for the advice and input from all --

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So..I'm a little scared!

I have a cue I will be storing for a long time, in addition too that, I have a couple extra shafts, that I want to remain "unplayed". Right now I have them in box style cases, laying horizontally. I have other cases I'm not using, should I switch them out? store them vertically? :(

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I have a cue I will be storing for a long time, in addition too that, I have a couple extra shafts, that I want to remain "unplayed". Right now I have them in box style cases, laying horizontally. I have other cases I'm not using, should I switch them out? store them vertically? :(

I'd store them vertically. I've been to a couple of cue maker's shops and that's how I always see them stored.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Quality case, upright storage. If a shaft is gonna move, it's gonna move...it's wood and it's finicky.

No need to buy cue hangers....a wide/thick rubber band will do the trick. Throw a larks head knot into it, slip it over the end of the shaft, placing near the bottom of the ferrule. By doing this with the cue completely assembled, weight of the entire cue is pulling downward, hopefully pulling the warp out...but no guarantee. Let them hang a couple of days.

I have heard of warping issues with some of the older Predator shafts...might just be time for a new shaft.