Sorry WPA....

Past champions:
Earl Strickland?
Ronnie Alcano?
J. Archer?

Also where are these guys?

Jayson Shaw?
Mike Dechaine?

How can three former champions not be on the list or playing? Is that the best players the USA can send or do they have to pay their own way? Not sure how this can be a world championship without these guys.....

Magog30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appleton, Orcollo, SVB and Pagulayan along with the Taiwanese and Filipinos - I would say most of the best players in the world are there.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
http://www.qbsf.qa/en/stage_two.php

Sorry WPA....

Past champions:
Earl Strickland?
Ronnie Alcano?
J. Archer?

Jayson Shaw?
Mike Dechaine?

How can three former champions not be on the list or playing? Is that the best players the USA can send or do they have to pay their own way? Not sure how this can be a world championship without these guys.....

Mike D., Jayson, and Earl will be at Turningstone. Johnnyt

Proofsc

More than a Ball Banger
Silver Member
Is this event being streamed anywhere so we can watch it because I haven't found anything on it?

darren_simion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corteza just won his first match 9 - 1 :thumbup:

Although Reyes and Biado are now on the loser's bracket :(

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corteza just won his first match 9 - 1 :thumbup:

Although Reyes and Biado are now on the loser's bracket :(

Both still have a chance to move on to the next round. They just have to win their next 2 matches. 4 out of the 8 in each group advance to the single knock-out round of 64. Efren's next match is starting in a few minutes vs Shaun Wilke. Here is the live score link:

http://qbsf.qa/en/live_score.php

Last edited:

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.qbsf.qa/en/stage_two.php

Sorry WPA....

Past champions:
Earl Strickland?
Ronnie Alcano?
J. Archer?

Jayson Shaw?
Mike Dechaine?

How can three former champions not be on the list or playing? Is that the best players the USA can send or do they have to pay their own way? Not sure how this can be a
world championship without these guys.....

Mike Dechaine who's that lol

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nothing too crazy at this point.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that Albin Ouschan, Eurotour Ranking #2, has lost his first two matches and has been eliminated.

Plenty of very good players have one loss, including last year's silver medalist Li Hewen, former World 9-ball Champion Thorsten Hohmann, Carlo Biado and Corey Deuel. Each of them will need to win their next match to advance to the single elimination stage of the event.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing too crazy at this point.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that Albin Ouschan, Eurotour Ranking #2, has lost his first two matches and has been eliminated.

Plenty of very good players have one loss, including last year's silver medalist Li Hewen, former World 9-ball Champion Thorsten Hohmann, Carlo Biado and Corey Deuel. Each of them will need to win their next match to advance to the single elimination stage of the event.

Melling defeats Biado handily-When that guy is hot, no tellin.............

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Melling defeats Biado handily-When that guy is hot, no tellin.............

Chris Melling is surely pool's most unpredictable player. He was brilliant in two consecutive Mosconi Cups but had a terrible year on the Eurotour, on which he is ranked #33. He didn't show much form in Las Vegas during the BCAPL pro events, but now he hands red hot Carlo Biado (1st at Hard Times, 3rd in US Open 1 pocket, 5th in US Open 10-ball, 2nd in US Open 8-ball) a loss at the World 9-ball Championships.

Go figure.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Melling is surely pool's most unpredictable player. He was brilliant in two consecutive Mosconi Cups but had a terrible year on the Eurotour, on which he is ranked #33. He didn't show much form in Las Vegas during the BCAPL pro events, but now he hands red hot Carlo Biado (1st at Hard Times, 3rd in US Open 1 pocket, 5th in US Open 10-ball, 2nd in US Open 8-ball) a loss at the World 9-ball Championships.

Go figure.

i saw him break and run 4 racks on the TV table 10B in Vegas a few years back and it may have been 5 as he was running out a rack when i first arrived. He did it in maybe 10-15 minutes? I saw no one else even do a 2 pack. Im not sure if it was a CSI or a CW event and he did falter a match or 2 later.

That one shot where he used the ball on the rail to get position off of in the MC was insane. He even lined up the tangent line with his stick but still the announcers or anyone else saw it coming. I dont think he has been playing any rotation game for more than 5 or 6 years even at this point but i could be wrong.

He won the China Open 2 years ago and he may be the only non Asian to do that for the next 30 years or so.

Then like you say 33rd on the euro.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i saw him break and run 4 racks on the TV table 10B in Vegas a few years back and it may have been 5 as he was running out a rack when i first arrived. He did it in maybe 10-15 minutes? I saw no one else even do a 2 pack. Im not sure if it was a CSI or a CW event and he did falter a match or 2 later.

That one shot where he used the ball on the rail to get position off of in the MC was insane. He even lined up the tangent line with his stick but still the announcers or anyone else saw it coming. I dont think he has been playing any rotation game for more than 5 or 6 years even at this point but i could be wrong.

He won the China Open 2 years ago and he may be the only non Asian to do that for the next 30 years or so.

Then like you say 33rd on the euro.

I am friend of chris and some of Chris`s friends including me think that if he can manage his body weight with exercise he will be in world`s top 5.:cool:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am friend of chris and some of Chris`s friends including me think that if he can manage his body weight with exercise he will be in world`s top 5.:cool:

Im not sure id bet against that if he added 20 more pounds!!:)

freedomfry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris is my absolute favourite pool player to watch. That stroke is just beautiful to watch, and when he's playing with confidence he goes paths nobody else dares.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Day 3 is behind us and these 32 players have already advanced to single elimination:

Darren Appleton, Hsu Kai Lun, Antonio Gabica, Al Shaheen
Ko Pin Yi, Jalal Yousef, Konstantin Stepanov, JL Chang
Ralf Souquet, Vilmos Foldes, Toh Lian Han, Cheng Yu Lung
Shane Van Boening, Kuribayashi Tohru, Wang Can, Mika Immonen
Wu Chia Qing, Ohi Naoyuki, Israel Rota, Mario He
Lo Li Wen, Manuel Gama, Nick VanDenBerg, Enrique Rojas
Nick Malaj, David Alcaide, Ruslan Chinakhov, Febio Petroni
Marlon Villamor, Daryl Peach, Niels Feijen, Dennis Orcullo

There players, who are notable in my estimation, are at risk and need to win their next matches to advance to single elimination.

Efren Reyes, Marlon Manalo, Hunter Lombardo, Dominic Jentsch
Imran Majid, Huidji See, John Morra, Mark Gray
Kuo Po Cheng, Chris Melling, Carlo Biado, Jason Klatt
Dmitri Jungo, Jeff DeLuna, Karl Boyes, Alex Pagulayan
Phil Burford,Thorsten Hohmann, Francisco Bustamante, Corey Deuel
Li Hewen, Lee Van Corteza, Fu Che Wei, Robb Saez
Nick Ekonomopolous, Oliver Ortmann

Most notably, Thorsten Hohmann and Francisco Bustamante must face off against each other and the loser will be eliminated.

As noted previously, Eurotour #2 Albin Ouschan has been eliminated.

The tournament is starting to take shape and tomorrow we'll find out who the last 64 are. Look for some very big names to be on the outside looking in.

Last edited: