Cut2D Program for inlays

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many new or even long-time cuemakers, who are providing inlays in their cue, have tried the program. I started building in 1992 and still crank out some cues.

I have BobCad V-21 and V-29 but have struggled some to utilize them.

Gary Medlin of Gem Cues suggested the program to me after visiting with Kevin Noel of Ross Cues. I looked at the program, tried the trial version and, for $149, bought the Cut2D Desktop version.

This program allows one to draw and execute tool paths for 2d inlays. You cannot do 4th axis type inlays where the cnc is making an inlay that wraps around the cue. They do have another program for that but it costs more than my version.

It also has an "auto inlay" function where the tool paths are auto programed for your inlay and pocket. Both the auto inlay and the regular inlay and pocket sets provide the G-code for your part and pocket.

I have drawn and test cut about 25-30 of 2d inlays(flat bottom) and wish I had started with this program.

This post is about information, not a "knock" of any other programs currently used by cuemakers who are knowledgeable in other, more complicated cnc programs. I admit,after trying the free version(you can draw but no tool path creation), the main attractions were cost and ease of use.

All this said, I will keep my BobCad programs for when I want to attempt 4th axis type inlays. After using Cut2D for awhile, it seems I have a better grasp of BobCad, also.

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree - I have been a Vectric user way before I started fooling with cues. Very intuitive and not quite sure why more people are not using it.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had been aware of the program, I would have tried it several years ago.

Most of the inlay drawings are quite easy to accomplish.

JC

Coos Cues
I had been wanting to get into some basic inlay capabilities and a customer asked me if I could put an anchor on his butt sleeve to commemorate his time in the navy. I said sure, no problem. Having no idea how I was going to accomplish it. So a bought a router table and learned how to use it. Then I looked at bobcad and my eyes got blurry quickly. On the advice of a smart cue builder (who may be the OP of this thread:)) I bought cut2d and within two days I had the basics down and did my first inlay which was an anchor made out of ebony wood.

I recently completed this cue. The anchor turned out nice. Having a spectacular piece of Cocobolo and BEM didn't hurt either.

030 [800x600].jpg

029 [800x600].jpg

Last edited:

billsey

Registered
No need for a fancy 4 axis CNC to do inlays. Just put a stepper motor on a chuck for you Y axis and instead of moving the tool in And out it will rotate your blank instead. Lay your inlay out as if it were cutting on a plane and the new Y will rotate to wrap the design around.

Now, cutting the inside of your inlay as a cylinder is tougher...

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
06-15-2019 | 03:15 PM

JC

I had been wanting to get into some basic inlay capabilities and a customer asked me if I could put an anchor on his butt sleeve to commemorate his time in the navy. I said sure, no problem. Having no idea how I was going to accomplish it. So a bought a router table and learned how to use it. Then I looked at bobcad and my eyes got blurry quickly. On the advice of a smart cue builder (who may be the OP of this thread) I bought cut2d and within two days I had the basics down and did my first inlay which was an anchor made out of ebony wood.

I recently completed this cue. The anchor turned out nice. Having a spectacular piece of Cocobolo and BEM didn't hurt either.

030 [800x600].jpg

029 [800x600].jpg

JC

That's a very nice looking cue! Just the look i'd like, with the exception of the anchor, i'd like your initials, where the anchor is.
Eddie

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had been wanting to get into some basic inlay capabilities and a customer asked me if I could put an anchor on his butt sleeve to commemorate his time in the navy. I said sure, no problem. Having no idea how I was going to accomplish it. So a bought a router table and learned how to use it. Then I looked at bobcad and my eyes got blurry quickly. On the advice of a smart cue builder (who may be the OP of this thread:)) I bought cut2d and within two days I had the basics down and did my first inlay which was an anchor made out of ebony wood.

View attachment 522712

View attachment 522713

I like it. Very cool job Brother. :cool:

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rhinoby,
Look up at post #5, they are there.
HTH
Gary

I must need a brain transplant. For some reason, I thought the other poster was showing a cue he also had built with an anchor.

I know JC very well and converse with him by phone and keystrokes.

Thanks for helping me to realize that old age is a disease, LOL!