Hohmann loses to Ko because of the Cyclop balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hohmann loses this game and with it possibly the match.

Cue balls totally rolls off path and falls right into the pocket.
They try it after the game but it won't to it then.
Probably rolling too hard.

1:37:47 shot is coming up.

https://youtu.be/0Tv2GEfmDzw?t=1h37m47s

This is from 2014 so some of you may have seen it.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A ball rolled off during the dennis/frost match.

They blamed the table though.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hohmann loses this game and with it possibly the match.

Cue balls totally rolls off path and falls right into the pocket.
They try it after the game but it won't to it then.
Probably rolling too hard.

1:37:47 shot is coming up.

https://youtu.be/0Tv2GEfmDzw?t=1h37m47s

This is from 2014 so some of you may have seen it.
Was the table level? Looked like it rolled-off big time. Cue-ball looked like it was picking up speed as it went. Bizarre.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A ball rolled off during the dennis/frost match.

They blamed the table though.

In this case, had it been the table all the balls would have done it in the same spot.
Cyclop are noted for this. Lots of pros have complained about it.
Random roll-off on a slow rolling cue ball.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Crazy, that ball rolled off over a diamond and was not slow-rolled. Hohmann handled it like the champion he is.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue ball certainly rolled off, without a doubt.
Ko did appear to be concerned with cleaning the ball and looks like he may have even seen a spot on it before he took his shot.
Wonder if the ball picked up something during it's path.
We have Cyclops balls on 8 diamond tables here as well as my home table; for the price I simply haven't seen balls more uniform in size and weight.

I've heard plenty of visual complaints about the color of the 6/7, and cue ball but it's been all visual not functional.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If a ball is round but off-center weighted or egg-shaped, it has to be turned the right way relative to the deformity in order for the problem to show up. In the case of a round but off-center ball, you need to roll it in at least 3 orientations to test for eccentricity. For a slightly egg-shaped ball you might have to be rolling with exactly the right axis to see the problem.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Cyclops cue ball definitely has a problem. I've never seen a match with the Cyclops balls where the cue ball doesn't veer at slow speed. I seem to remember when they first came out with the Cyclops set a few players saying they would not play with them, and it doesn't appear that they've gotten any better over time.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Cyclops cue ball definitely has a problem. I've never seen a match with the Cyclops balls where the cue ball doesn't veer at slow speed. I seem to remember when they first came out with the Cyclops set a few players saying they would not play with them, and it doesn't appear that they've gotten any better over time.

If I was a pro I would decline playing with them.....but that's going to leave me with empty pockets if Cyclop is behind half of the events out there...lol

This issue has come up all the time with Cyclop and simply never comes up with the Aramith Pro balls.
Plain.

Are we pool players really so set on "everything new must be better"?

In the World Chinese 8-ball they have refused to use the Cyclop.
Don't know but I'm assuming it was after some testing.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does is seem to be only the cue ball that rolls off? Hasn't anybody noticed any of the object balls doing something funny as well?

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you blame the cue ball?

If the cue ball had roll off issues how do you explain all the other shots made with perfect position? If the ball was "off" you would see it more often in a 1.40 hour match

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They did have that problem in 2014 with both cue balls and object balls, but the word is that they did something to fix it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why would you blame the cue ball?

If the cue ball had roll off issues how do you explain all the other shots made with perfect position? If the ball was "off" you would see it more often in a 1.40 hour match
The shot in the video was a worst-case scenario. It was a very long run to a stop near the cushion length-wise. That gives the ball the most chance to roll off. Also, the amount of roll-off depends on which way the ball is turned. For some positions, the ball won't roll off at all. For stop shots and relatively short position plays, you won't see it, and if the cue ball goes a ways to a cushion but then bounces off only a short way, you won't see much.

I have an off-center ball that shows about the same roll as that cue ball. Sometimes it is hard to get it to misbehave. Even on a lag, if you get a little side spin on the ball it can change whether the "heavy" side is on the left or right.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
In this case, had it been the table all the balls would have done it in the same spot.
Cyclop are noted for this. Lots of pros have complained about it.
Random roll-off on a slow rolling cue ball.

I have a Cyclops set with the allegedly "troubled" eyeball cue ball and it plays no different than my red circles, Centennials, or Aramith Pro Tournament set.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They did have that problem in 2014 with both cue balls and object balls, but the word is that they did something to fix it.

I was in Vegas at the BCA National release. The pros opted to use a dotted ball in that event but the amateurs didn't have the option.
Rumor was that the red eye could be felt on the exterior; it looked weird (almost raised) but I couldn't feel anything.
Supposably they were to lower/sink the eye slightly to prevent the raised illusion.

I've personal broke out micrometers and digital weight scales on many occasions re-pairing up ball sets. If you do this, you will see that the cyclop balls run remarkably uniform. It will also show you how much other sets don't (names withheld on purpose, not looking for a ball debate).
You really got to get into high end sets/pricing to match these (albeit ugly) ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.