Weird Joint

BFC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know anything about this joint pin?

it's on a jo ss cue.

Attachments

• 1588645028_IMG_20200504_221357798.jpg
    1588645028_IMG_20200504_221357798.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 578
  • 1588645089_IMG_20200504_221254199.jpg
    1588645089_IMG_20200504_221254199.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 559
  • 1588645060_IMG_20200504_221215796.jpg
    1588645060_IMG_20200504_221215796.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 679

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive seen those before, and I dont think anyone was able to give a definite answer.

The probable thing is that some one was experimenting on a Joss cue they owned with an oddball joint idea.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old carom cue - that has the pin in the shaft- the pin is long and slender like that, but it is threaded almost the entire length. The shaft is marked either EASTELO or CASTELO, in script- I assume it is from South America or Spain/Portugal- a real quality darker wood shaft.

I have never seen that joint pin on a cue butt.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
cordless drill time!

I have an old carom cue - that has the pin in the shaft- the pin is long and slender like that, but it is threaded almost the entire length. The shaft is marked either EASTELO or CASTELO, in script- I assume it is from South America or Spain/Portugal- a real quality darker wood shaft.

I have never seen that joint pin on a cue butt.

Is that brass I see around the bottom of the pin? Looks like a shaft with a standard insert that somebody converted to play with. Might seem like a good idea but I can think of no reason fro that long of a pilot. Threaded all or almost all of the way that would be the pin from hell putting it together and taking it apart. I think I would bring a cordless drill with me to spin it on and off!

Hu

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that this is someone's cue building project and I think that i understand what that person was trying to achieve here- and it may actually be a good idea. To me, especially if that non threaded portion of the screw fits fairly tightly into the shaft, the cue builder person was experimenting with the idea that if the actual threads were engaged much further up into the shaft than normal- the hit of the cue would feel more like a one piece cue.

This is only my guess; but I can see where perhaps if the actual area where the butt meets the shaft is NOT where the screw is engaged; there could possibly be more of a one piece cue feel to the hit. This is only a guess; all thoughts are welcome; unless we can actually hear from the person who created this joint composition.

Here is a carom cue I own- see the long screw in the shaft end, it has an unthreaded section on the rear end of that screw - similar idea to what we see from the poster- only the reverse- this cue has a great hit!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that is a joint created by a guy in Vancouver, WA. As I recall his last name is Wheathered and the joint was made around 20 years ago. I met him and his joint design was to make the cue quieter when playing. This joint did in fact make the cue play very quite but you couldn't put it in a standard case.

BFC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you replying about the joint in my original question, or the "CASTELO" cue?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am sure he is talking about the original joint that you posted- my Castelo carom cue was NOT made here in the U.S.- so it appears that you now have your puzzle solved!

Now for my carom cue- does anyone here know who made the carom cues with the name Castelo or Eastelo engraved in the shaft? Thanks

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since that pin is not original to Joss, could it be that the shaft developed a hairline crack at the joint? Then the long shaft insert was glued in to save the shaft? The photo is to blurry to see the grain.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since that pin is not original to Joss, could it be that the shaft developed a hairline crack at the joint? Then the long shaft insert was glued in to save the shaft? The photo is to blurry to see the grain.

Look again! On the Joss- the pin is inserted in the butt- NOT the shaft.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your original question on your post. Wethered is the name of the cuemaker that made that joint. Wethered made his own line of cues. Greg Sowder (Sowder Custom Cues - Vancouver, WA) confirmed this with me although he didn't see the picture on AZB. Its a unique joint with an aluminum pin and a Teflon insert on the shaft. Wethered actally changed out cues like the Joss you pictured because he convinced many players in the area it was a better joint. Again it really made the joint solid and quite.

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Your original question on your post. Wethered is the name of the cuemaker that made that joint. Wethered made his own line of cues. Greg Sowder (Sowder Custom Cues - Vancouver, WA) confirmed this with me although he didn't see the picture on AZB. Its a unique joint with an aluminum pin and a Teflon insert on the shaft. Wethered actally changed out cues like the Joss you pictured because he convinced many players in the area it was a better joint. Again it really made the joint solid and quite.

Bingo! Got one of these in for some repairs/tips a while back. Unfortunately I didn't get any after pictures but I had to take a few right when I got it in as I'd never seen anything like it. This one is a conversion. What really surprised me was the screw-on aluminum ferrules onto a brass stud. It did hit surprisingly well considering the unconventional build. Here's some picts....

conversion.jpg

butt.jpg

joint_sig.jpg

tips.jpg

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo! Got one of these in for some repairs/tips a while back. Unfortunately I didn't get any after pictures but I had to take a few right when I got it in as I'd never seen anything like it. This one is a conversion. What really surprised me was the screw-on aluminum ferrules onto a brass stud. It did hit surprisingly well considering the unconventional build. Here's some picts....

conversion.jpg

butt.jpg

joint_sig.jpg

tips.jpg

He did use screw-on aluminum ferrules onto a brass stud! I forgot about that!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that brass I see around the bottom of the pin? Looks like a shaft with a standard insert that somebody converted to play with. Might seem like a good idea but I can think of no reason fro that long of a pilot. Threaded all or almost all of the way that would be the pin from hell putting it together and taking it apart. I think I would bring a cordless drill with me to spin it on and off!

Hu

Exactly!!!!!

A LOT of work for absolutely NOTHING.