Paper micarta vs linen micarta

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Just to be clear, are you saying they were using the "paper decoratives" in the "Ivory" color version of the three colors you described? (Ivory, Antique Ivory, or Ivorite)

If so, earlier in the thread you said "the good stuff" was the Ivorite version?

Can you clear that up...:thumbup:

Now, I would say any of the three could be considered the "good stuff", as you first have me quoted: "Just to be clear, are you saying they were using the "paper decoratives" in the "Ivory" color version of the three colors you described? (Ivory, Antique Ivory, or Ivorite)"

The "good stuff" is usually a bastardized way for people to refer to the vintage material they thought had asbestos.

Josh

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Now, I would say any of the three could be considered the "good stuff", as you first have me quoted: "Just to be clear, are you saying they were using the "paper decoratives" in the "Ivory" color version of the three colors you described? (Ivory, Antique Ivory, or Ivorite)"

The "good stuff" is usually a bastardized way for people to refer to the vintage material they thought had asbestos.

Josh

If it could have been any of the 3, is it possible to tell which of the 3 the maker used by looking and examining the material on a particular older shaft?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My playing shaft now.
Has paper phenolic ferrule . This is not the westinghouse version .
It is lightweight and very durable.

It will get darker as it ages.

Attachments

• DSC01519.JPG
    DSC01519.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 311

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
If it could have been any of the 3, is it possible to tell which of the 3 the maker used by looking and examining the material on a particular older shaft?

The majority of what I've seen and compared has been ivorite. That's the material I've been collecting for some years, and selling to a select few. Cutting into the three, the ivorite is the brightest cream/faint yellow, Ivory cuts to white, and antique ivory cuts to a dull off-white/yellow.

The two with the red arrows in this picture are vintage antique ivory micarta. On the sides of those are Palmer ferrules. The rest is ivorite. You can see how similar they age.
The Murrell cue who's ferruls are showing at the bottom of the picture are ivorite at around 8 years of age.
micarta.jpg

Here's how the two look when freshly cut. Ivorite is the cream one.
20190513_204448.jpg
20190513_204538.jpg

Here are some slabs. The very top is ivory paper; you can see it's different. But I'm sure it was used as I've seen some vintage ferrules.
20191107_133216.jpg

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The rods my ferrules come from are 12.5 mm....which is fine for my shafts....
...Alex is playing with same stuff now.
...never ran into thicker rods.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all the excellent information and your time Buster. I have owned various vintage Cues with Micarta ferrules. Allot of folk lore out there...

Greenie left:thumbup:

-Kat,

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
so i have some old frank paradice or gene balner screw on ferrels with the original tips. are those micarta or melamine??

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all the excellent information and your time Buster. I have owned various vintage Cues with Micarta ferrules. Allot of folk lore out there...

Greenie left:thumbup:

-Kat,

Yes, I second this, really interesting information. Thanks for taking the time to share it Buster

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you call these?

Attachments

• 20191107_233646.jpg
    20191107_233646.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 349

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The majority of what I've seen and compared has been ivorite. That's the material I've been collecting for some years, and selling to a select few. Cutting into the three, the ivorite is the brightest cream/faint yellow, Ivory cuts to white, and antique ivory cuts to a dull off-white/yellow.

The two with the red arrows in this picture are vintage antique ivory micarta. On the sides of those are Palmer ferrules. The rest is ivorite. You can see how similar they age.
The Murrell cue who's ferruls are showing at the bottom of the picture are ivorite at around 8 years of age.
View attachment 533848

Here's how the two look when freshly cut. Ivorite is the cream one.
View attachment 533849
View attachment 533850

Here are some slabs. The very top is ivory paper; you can see it's different. But I'm sure it was used as I've seen some vintage ferrules.
View attachment 533852

Thanks for the info. :) I've always loved this material for ferrules and is a must have for certain cue restorations.

With hearing the posibility of the importance of cutting the material in the right grain direction to maximize it's strength and performance, I wonder how you would tell by looking at it?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Brown linen, white paper, yellow linen, yellow linen. Bottom two are the same but the right one has turned orange due to UV exposure.

So you're saying I'm correct with extra words :p

I like the linen phenolics, but they aren't the good micarta for ferrules

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would beg to differ. This yellow linen plays better than any other micarta I have tried, and I have tried a bunch from the 1930's to present. That includes paper based old yellow. Linen is stronger and stands up to heat better.

So you're saying I'm correct with extra words :p

I like the linen phenolics, but they aren't the good micarta for ferrules

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I would beg to differ. This yellow linen plays better than any other micarta I have tried, and I have tried a bunch from the 1930's to present. That includes paper based old yellow. Linen is stronger and stands up to heat better.

Fair enough. I prefer the paper hit, but I had a couple of shafts with the yellow linen that Steve Klein uses. Also excellent to play with.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Also much heavier and causes more cue ball deflection.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old Westinghouse linen that I've had made into ferrules weighs the same as the Westinghouse paper to the gram. The newer linen micarta that I've tried is about 10% heavier.

Also much heavier and causes more cue ball deflection.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon ferrules.

Attachments

• Schon Ferrules.jpg
    Schon Ferrules.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get this nostalgic ferrule stuff. I owned cues back in the day that had the oh-so-coveted REAL micarta. It was a ferrule for cryin' out loud. Its what came on some cues i had. Never once then or since was i overly impressed with the stuff. I think the new Tomahawk material plays/sounds/feels every bit as good AND it doesn't turn that nasty piss yellow color. Just my $.02 here, nothing more. I do enjoy reading the history stuff here. Always good.