Ivory Jointed Gus Szamboti

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, HUGE thanks to 1pRoscoe for his assist on this deal. Without him, it never would have happened. Paying it forward, he has great karma coming his way.

Since I tried to take up pool seriously in 1976 I've wanted a Gus Szamboti cue. Long story short, it has finally happened; only 33 years later. Several features date this cue to around the time I started coveting a cue from Mr. Szamboti; which makes it even better to me.

I still need to get it to Barry for confirmation. But, checking with several knowledgeable sources and knowing the cue's history for the past 20 years or so, I feel pretty comfortable that everything is good with it.

Scott <<== will post more info later.... but initial impression is "wicked"

Attachments

• IMG_0506s.jpg
    IMG_0506s.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,132
  • IMG_0507s.jpg
    IMG_0507s.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,994

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Wicked is a good word to describe this bad boy. I like everything I see about it, and what about the weight??. If it's to heavy Barry can change the weight bolt for you. You've got a great cue here, congratulations.

TommyT

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wicked is a good word to describe this bad boy. I like everything I see about it, and what about the weight??. If it's to heavy Barry can change the weight bolt for you. You've got a great cue here, congratulations.

TommyT

Tommy, the weight with the one original shaft that has a tip is 19.85 oz. Slightly higher than I am used to, but the cue balances out so well that I weighed it twice because it felt like 19.

The cue has a great feel. I've only played about 30 minutes with it so far, but already love it.

Scott

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG!!!!!! I hate this forum. Every time I log on there is another amazing cue! I want a Szam now..........

Great pick up Scott!!!

Mike

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott,
What an awesome player,
CONGRATULATIONS!
I Cant wait to get a Gus or Barry Cue...
patience is a virtue :wink:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Congrats Scott and Ross - a really nice pick up. The ivory joints are hard to find.

Chris

icon2

jeff
Silver Member
gus

Since I tried to take up pool seriously in 1976 I've wanted a Gus Szamboti cue. Long story short, it has finally happened; only 33 years later. Several features date this cue to around the time I started coveting a cue from Mr. Szamboti; which makes it even better to me.
Scott <<== will post more info later.... but initial impression is "wicked"
congrats on getting a gus, scott!
great to see you get something you've been wanting for so long!
. . . and this gus has found a great home!

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Scott and Ross - a really nice pick up. The ivory joints are hard to find.

Chris
Chris, I really appreciate your advice and information on this.

Mike, I know what you mean. I've stopped opening tikkler's thread due to acute cue envy.

Duane, thanks. It has been a very long time.

Jeff, I believe it has found its final home.

Scott

Last edited:

RackRunner

Property of RackRunner
Silver Member
Scott, Congratulations on your new Gus...
I've owned a lot of cues, and the only
one I regret selling is my 4 window Gus...
I'll have another one someday...

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the veneers double black/double white? It looks that way in the pics.

Can you post some close ups of the points?

I would say "Wicked" is an accurate description, too!

Awesome cue pal. Congrats!

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Scott,

Congrats pal! That is a stone cold wicked cue if I've ever seen one. There's just nothing like a Gus, and I can't even imagine what one with an ivory joint would hit like. Thirty three years is a long time to wait (even though I know you've had a few really nice "pacifiers" until it finally came along :wink:), but now I bet it was worth every minute.

Take care and enjoy that rascal!

Steve

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huge cue. So tasteful too. The work has all the charm you expect to see from such a great man. Great cue mate and look me up when times are tough :grin:

Si

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super nice classic Szamboti - and WOW i love the ivory joint :grin:
Congrats to you Scott, that you got your Gus after such a long time, and
i hope it´s a Keeper now. :thumbup:
Erich

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great looking cue and so glad to hear a LONG SEARCH has benefited you.
You sure will have to pay it forward for a while with Ross...

Love the simple design, the veneer combination, the use of maple to make up the rings in the butt, and most of all think the ivory joint is Wicked!
What a nice find!
Enjoy and will talk to you soon.

Myron