Silver Member

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 478

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a 1984 D6 a couple years ago for about the same. I felt good about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It seems to be within reason as long as it's in decent shape. But I suppose it's like
anything else, you paid $170 ish, the book says about $165, but if you like it, if it feel
good, if it helps you become a better player, you may begin to think of it as priceless.
While I'm not a collector, I do have several cues most of which I'd happily sell for the
right offer, but I do have a couple that I wouldn't part with at any price. That is to say
if I did, it would take quite a bit to pry these from my case, something I doubt anyone
would be willing to pay

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's true, I have heard the d series hit very well and that's mostly what I'm looking for. I have heard a few people tell me about a cue they used to have that they deeply regret selling. The key is too find a cue you really like and never get rid of it. It's also a good idea to buy used that way if you don't like the cue you should be able to recover most your losses.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a McDermott off ebay for $170 including shipping. Seller said the cue was straight and it looks to be in decent condition. Does anyone know if I got a good deal?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DCsAAOSwDOlbmoWE/s-l400.jpg

Judging from the actual market....what these cues actually sell for, you did just fine.

Good deal? I guess it depends on that you mean by that.

I think the price was fair to both the buyer and seller.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've bought a lot of D series cues from ebay. I use a few guidelines for my collecting :1. Never buy a cue that's been refinished (unless I really like it!)
2. Assume the shaft it toast
3. I don't buy any stained cues, just personal preference
4. old cork wraps are great
5. if it's a D-16, buy it..I think I have 3 of these now
I think the price you paid is probably about right.
I've tried to collect a bunch of 3/8x10 shafts for these cues too, both LD and regular maple, old and new just to have them around. Seems like a lot of the older McDs shafts have seen a lot of sandpaper in their day coupled with the slip on ferrule, you have the makins for a cue not hitting as good as it should. They're a fun, cheap cue to collect and play good once you get a shaft dialed in.
Oh and seems like they all come in the same box case like yours,lol.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you did good! I have a D-2 that I really like. I bought it new in 1985 and it’s been all over the world when I was in the Air Force. Like someone else mentioned earlier about the shafts being toast on these cues, yes, mine is toast as well (warped kinda bad). Thinking about having McDermott restore it. Has anyone had them restore one? If so, how did they do?

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did fine IMHO. I had a D10 that I bought new in 1984.
Gave it away to a fellow down on his luck. I know for sure he's at least 2 or 3 balls better now.

Last edited:

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't received the cue yet but the seller said it was straight, hopefully he is right.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D series cues are all about the same. On ebay right now there are some that were D-Series prototypes that are going extremely reasonable (185) and they are in brand new condition. 165 for a 30+ year old cue in good condition seems more than reasonable though. I Bought an old D-11 in 1994 when I was hangin with Uncle Sam for like 75 bucks...the refinish on it was like 340 with a new shaft and a rewrap and recondition. It looked brand new when I got it back, the McDermott guys do a great job with them.

I ended up dropping that cue and destroying it a few years ago, missed it so much I bought a D-15, almost stole it at 200 bucks, but play with it weekly and still love that old D series hit. Will not be sending it off, as the recondition would cost me twice what the cue did, but I kinda like the old yellowed shaft wood and the butt is still in good enough condition it gets comments every time I take it out.

Enjoy your new cue!!!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you did good! I have a D-2 that I really like. I bought it new in 1985 and it’s been all over the world when I was in the Air Force. Like someone else mentioned earlier about the shafts being toast on these cues, yes, mine is toast as well (warped kinda bad). Thinking about having McDermott restore it. Has anyone had them restore one? If so, how did they do?

A lot of people sanded them...used 3M pads. But warpage? That's Meucci.

I have several A, B, C, and D series McDermotts and they are all straight. A couple shafts have been sanded by previous owners, but are straight.

From what I have seen and heard McDermott does great repair and restoration on their cues.

One caution is that certain materials are no longer available. If for example an early butt cap needs replaced it will be an updated material with a modern logo stamp. It seems many can't tell the difference but to me it is obvious.

Their old Implex joint material is no longer available either, so a cracked joint collar will be replaced with a different material.

They no longer have the correct bumpers for A, B, C, and D series cues. They do have a replacement but it is different. They only have black so if you had a colored bumper originally, you are hard pressed to replace it. The colored bumpers were standard on the early cues and matched the wrap and or butt sleeve rings. There were some colored bumpers on D series cues as a very rare option.

If you get the shaft replaced you will get their current lifetime shaft warranty. So if your old shaft is warped I would say McD would be the best place to send it for a new shaft.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you ask the seller to take a picture of the business section stock quotes from his newspaper, please!!!

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people sanded them...used 3M pads. But warpage? That's Meucci.

I have several A, B, C, and D series McDermotts and they are all straight. A couple shafts have been sanded by previous owners, but are straight.

From what I have seen and heard McDermott does great repair and restoration on their cues.

One caution is that certain materials are no longer available. If for example an early butt cap needs replaced it will be an updated material with a modern logo stamp. It seems many can't tell the difference but to me it is obvious.

Their old Implex joint material is no longer available either, so a cracked joint collar will be replaced with a different material.

They no longer have the correct bumpers for A, B, C, and D series cues. They do have a replacement but it is different. They only have black so if you had a colored bumper originally, you are hard pressed to replace it. The colored bumpers were standard on the early cues and matched the wrap and or butt sleeve rings. There were some colored bumpers on D series cues as a very rare option.

If you get the shaft replaced you will get their current lifetime shaft warranty. So if your old shaft is warped I would say McD would be the best place to send it for a new shaft.

Thanks for the info. You sold me on the McDermott restore. It’s got sentimental value so the 150 bucks, or so, will be worth it to me.