Using the rack

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Is it legal to use the rack to see if an object ball is interfering with the racking of the balls ?

I say yes. some say no.

thanks

highrun55

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I watched either Marop or Dennis (can't remember which) use the rack for that purpose on a dvd the other day. If they use it I doubt that it is illegal. I drew the rack outline on my table. I screwed it up and have a double line on one side but I know if a ball is within the rack area or not.

highrun55

Silver Member
I watched either Marop or Dennis (can't remember which) use the rack for that purpose on a dvd the other day. If they use it I doubt that it is illegal. I drew the rack outline on my table. I screwed it up and have a double line on one side but I know if a ball is within the rack area or not.

I always thought that and all my tables in my room are outlined, it really helps

highrun55

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Hey Mickey, the rules actually state for the player to use the guideline of the "marked triange" in tournament play. But it is widely accepted to use the rack when the tables are not marked.

Kev

J

Jody C

I thought it is a foul to touch the rack on the table to check the location of a break ball. You can hold the rack above the table to check, which is legal. Does anyone know the rules in this subject.
Thanks, j

Last edited:

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We went through this in another thread not long ago. I expressed my opinion that if the rack is not outlined on the table it is ok to lay the rack on the table. How else would you make the determination? Jay Helfert agreed with me.

Dave Nelson

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack

If there is no outline of the rack I believe you can place the rack on the table with out touching any of the balls.We allow it in our 14.1 league.It"s one of the rules you should agree on before a match.

Idaho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that it is legal. I'm been going in a day a week and learning from a straight pool legend in these parts. The table we play on doesn't have an outline. He says it's legal and does it a lot. Do you just lay a rack on and outline the inside? Thanks

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I can see the argument where it wouldn't be legal...

basically the outcome of the game can be affected by the use of a measuring device that isn't the cue. The guy plays shot A if it's out of the rack and shot B if it's in the rack. I know they made rules limiting what you can measure/estimate with... just the cue right? This is measuring/estimating something else but maybe the spirit of the rule would be violated if you're trying to judge something with anything other than your eye and your cue.

Personally I think the lines should be there and if they're not, then the rack is a substitute for the lines that ought to be there. Of all the ways I want to make my opponent lose, having him misjudge a ball near the rack isn't really in the top 10.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that it is legal. I'm been going in a day a week and learning from a straight pool legend in these parts. The table we play on doesn't have an outline. He says it's legal and does it a lot. Do you just lay a rack on and outline the inside? Thanks

When you draw the outline of the rack you trace around the outside of the rack, not the inside.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you draw the outline of the rack you trace around the outside of the rack, not the inside.

True, however here is a little gimmick I use on my home table. Since I rack many times only 14 balls I draw the inside curve only at the apex. This makes it real easy to get a consistent rack. Notice, I said, my home table.

Dave Nelson

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I remember in previous version of World Rules it was directly pointed that a triangle can be used to determine if a ball is in the rack or not. Maybe it was not in the Rules but in Instructions for referees but I'm certain it was typed in official rules. Now they just demand an outline: The marked outline of the triangle will be used to determine whether an intended break ball is in the rack area. (4.2)

sausage

Banned
you could hover an elephant over the table if you like. as long as you don't touch a ball there is no foul. as stated above, hovering a rack is common on tables with no rack outline. but, -like bob suggested- that is quickly remedied with some tailor's chalk.

highrun55

Silver Member
tHANKS mEN

Is it legal to use the rack to see if an object ball is interfering with the racking of the balls ?

I say yes. some say no.

thanks

highrun55

The answers were what I always said, and they did settle an argument

thanks to you all
highrun55

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I always carry a stick of soapstone with me in my case,that I sharpen with some coarse sandpaper. You just lightly draw the outline while you play, it's hardly visible, and when you're done playing you simply wipe it off. It costs about 25 cents in any welding supply store.

I don't believe it is illegal to use the rack.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Soapstone

I always carry a stick of soapstone with me in my case,that I sharpen with some coarse sandpaper. You just lightly draw the outline while you play, it's hardly visible, and when you're done playing you simply wipe it off. It costs about 25 cents in any welding supply store.

I don't believe it is illegal to use the rack.

Soapstone is a good idea when you are away from your home table and playing 14.1 Many times you just have to hold the rack over the balls and try to get an idea if the ball is in or out of the rack. I seen a few mistakes doing it that way over the years. Having the Soapstone would really help.