Chinese 8-ball event in LA

we.mazza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder that anyone want to go this open?

Chinese 8-Ball U.S.A. OPEN
Date: 13th----19th, October, 2018.
Location: Los Angeles, 16839 gale ave,city of industry, ca 91748
Tournament system: 128 players limited.,128-32 double elimination, 32-1 single elimination.
Entry fee: $128
Rewards:
Champion:$15000(Winner directly get a spot into Worlds Chinese 8-Ball masters grand finals.)
Runner-up: $7000
3rd: $3000
4th: $1500
5th-8th: $800
9th-16th: $400
17th-32nd: $200

anyone interested?

Attachments

• ????_20180823144242.jpg
    ????_20180823144242.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,278

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing they will use the tables with snooker pockets. If so I give the players who play regularly on those tables a big advantage assuming the top Chinese players will travel to America for the tournament. One thing I've noticed is the players use a parabolic taper on their cues similar to snooker cues although I suspect the diameter of the tip is larger.

Nice payout which should draw a lot of top players. The mixture of players should make it interesting.

parogen

Registered
Are the tables there normally for regular use? Or just for this event?

Looking for chinese 8 ball spots in LA

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing they will use the tables with snooker pockets. If so I give the players who play regularly on those tables a big advantage assuming the top Chinese players will travel to America for the tournament. One thing I've noticed is the players use a parabolic taper on their cues similar to snooker cues although I suspect the diameter of the tip is larger.

Well if they didn't it would just be 8-Ball surely?

Nice payout which should draw a lot of top players. The mixture of players should make it interesting.

Not if you're travelling from China!

It looks more like this is a satellite event for the larger tournament held in China.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tournament system: 128 players limited.,128-32 double elimination, 32-1 single elimination.
Entry fee: $128
Champion:$15000(Winner directly get a spot into Worlds Chinese 8-Ball masters grand finals.)
Runner-up: $7000
3rd: $3000
4th: $1500
5th-8th: $800
9th-16th: $400
17th-32nd: $200
By my calculation, the added money is somewhere between $20k and $32k depending on the number of entries and neglecting the value of going to China.

The venue appears to be a meeting space.

Given the money odds and the probable number of players, this seems like a no-brainer for locals. On the other hand, the tournament appears to be a whole week, and even with $50/night motels available (double occupancy), non-locals are looking at $700 total local costs plus travel costs plus 9 days away from home.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
By my calculation, the added money is somewhere between $20k and $32k depending on the number of entries and neglecting the value of going to China.

The venue appears to be a meeting space.

Given the money odds and the probable number of players, this seems like a no-brainer for locals. On the other hand, the tournament appears to be a whole week, and even with $50/night motels available (double occupancy), non-locals are looking at $700 total local costs plus travel costs plus 9 days away from home.

Wrong Bob, they're all staying at my house! :thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
easy cash for either Shane or Corey or Alex

I do know that Dennis and Warren are both planning to play. The prize money is very top heavy, but that 15K on top makes it attractive to the best players. Heck, for $128 I might play. :eek:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The OP illustration is a little odd, looks more like an east coast event, clearly the
location would be understood if the billboard was a utopia sunset with a rainbow colored 8 ball, after all, they are Joy tables.

I was calculating Bob staying with Jay then the two of them bartering entries...
ya no , something to watch..

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
I have entered this event and am practicing at the venue whenever I have time to go. I'll be driving out there today to practice for about 6 hours. This venue is a commercial event hall and office space which still needs quite a lot of work; there are some unfinished rooms which still need paint and plaster over the drywall.

The tournament is being thrownby the folks at Joy tables in China and the distributors of Joy tables in the US who also, rent or own a couple of the offices in this building. As far as I can tell, the promotors here in the U.S. are not fully organized yet and I get the feeling that a 'big boss' is going to roll through any day now to get some people in gear. So far, the venue has 3 beautiful Joy tables set up which entrants can practice on, all day for $20 per day (opens at 9:30PM - 9:00PM). Incidentally today, I'm meeting Tang Hoa there who, will decide if he wants to enter after he sniffs a few asses.

Why am I supporting/playing this tournament?

Seriously, when I first picked up a cue at the age of 5 years old, I played snooker for 2 years until moving to the USA at age 7. I really like the infusion of the 'snooker' discipline of play with American pool. The pockets are 3.54" wide but with rounded facings so, they are not as tough as you'd think because all you need to do is aim for the outside of the pocket and it should mostly accept your shot. Playing 8 ball on any 9 foot table is challenging but with the snooker style cloth and pockets, some dynamics of the game do change a little. Mastering the break and keeping your balls away from the rails play a big factor in each rack. Most of the top players are expected to break and run every rack because frankly the tables are hard enough that, when you get into a safety battle, it really can be a coin toss.

I also really want to start playing more instead of always streaming (Albeit, the proposal to stream this event has been brought to my attention and I'm considering it). Since this is a non-U.S. organized tournament and I have no affiliations with the organizers I, feel more comfortable focusing on my game and less on small talk with players all the time. Most of the field is already filled with locals from the 'Embassy Club' in the San Gabriel Valley which is a well known snooker hall. However, I have to say that, after a full day of practice at the venue, I'm not really that worried about the people I've met so far. That doesn't mean that I have a chance in hell of winning this thing... I will have to practice hard if I want to do that. I'm pretty sure the monsters will come out of the woodwork very soon (Tang Hoa being one of them).

So far as I know, Alex and Shane are confirmed and so are a few champs from China; I also hear that it's possible the current world champion, Gareth Potts will be appearing but not sure... I honestly can't trust my sources until the anticipated 'big boss' rolls through.

Keep Loving Pool!

Attachments

• DANIEL 8 BALL.jpg
    DANIEL 8 BALL.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 892

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice summary.of what's between your ears,
Mr.

You always have great input...output too.
I have entered this event and am practicing at the venue whenever I have time to go. I'll be driving out there today to practice for about 6 hours. This venue is a commercial event hall and office space which still needs quite a lot of work; there are some unfinished rooms which still need paint and plaster over the drywall.

The tournament is being thrownby the folks at Joy tables in China and the distributors of Joy tables in the US who also, rent or own a couple of the offices in this building. As far as I can tell, the promotors here in the U.S. are not fully organized yet and I get the feeling that a 'big boss' is going to roll through any day now to get some people in gear. So far, the venue has 3 beautiful Joy tables set up which entrants can practice on, all day for $20 per day (opens at 9:30PM - 9:00PM). Incidentally today, I'm meeting Tang Hoa there who, will decide if he wants to enter after he sniffs a few asses.

Why am I supporting/playing this tournament?

Seriously, when I first picked up a cue at the age of 5 years old, I played snooker for 2 years until moving to the USA at age 7. I really like the infusion of the 'snooker' discipline of play with American pool. The pockets are 3.54" wide but with rounded facings so, they are not as tough as you'd think because all you need to do is aim for the outside of the pocket and it should mostly accept your shot. Playing 8 ball on any 9 foot table is challenging but with the snooker style cloth and pockets, some dynamics of the game do change a little. Mastering the break and keeping your balls away from the rails play a big factor in each rack. Most of the top players are expected to break and run every rack because frankly the tables are hard enough that, when you get into a safety battle, it really can be a coin toss.

I also really want to start playing more instead of always streaming (Albeit, the proposal to stream this event has been brought to my attention and I'm considering it). Since this is a non-U.S. organized tournament and I have no affiliations with the organizers I, feel more comfortable focusing on my game and less on small talk with players all the time. Most of the field is already filled with locals from the 'Embassy Club' in the San Gabriel Valley which is a well known snooker hall. However, I have to say that, after a full day of practice at the venue, I'm not really that worried about the people I've met so far. That doesn't mean that I have a chance in hell of winning this thing... I will have to practice hard if I want to do that. I'm pretty sure the monsters will come out of the woodwork very soon (Tang Hoa being one of them).

So far as I know, Alex and Shane are confirmed and so are a few champs from China; I also hear that it's possible the current world champion, Gareth Potts will be appearing but not sure... I honestly can't trust my sources until the anticipated 'big boss' rolls through.

Keep Loving Pool!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Virtually no advertising or promotion for this event so far and it's only three weeks away. A little bit sketchy for me. I cannot at this time recommend that Dennis and Warren pay an entry fee (it's all by Paypal and you send to this guy's personal paypal account to enter) plus book travel to L.A. They're asking a lot of pool players to book tickets and lodging on faith alone. All of us have been burned way to many times!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Virtually no advertising or promotion for this event so far and it's only three weeks away. A little bit sketchy for me. I cannot at this time recommend that Dennis and Warren pay an entry fee (it's all by Paypal and you send to this guy's personal paypal account to enter) plus book travel to L.A. They're asking a lot of pool players to book tickets and lodging on faith alone. All of us have been burned way to many times!

Good call-If these guys are legit, they will address the situation to get players like those but otoh, PAYPAL does make certain guarantees when you use their service. In other words for example if you dont get a tourny with a first prize of X, perhaps you can get your money back. Id wanna make sure of that before i entered. The travel-well better have plan B.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I had to guess.... Being foreigners they have little skill in getting the word out in the US.

Also, if I had to guess, it looks like there is enough money behind the event that it will not simply evaporate.

Has anyone tried the emails given above? Perhaps Daniel could fill us in on the progress/gossip at the venue.

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had to guess.... Being foreigners they have little skill in getting the word out in the US.

Also, if I had to guess, it looks like there is enough money behind the event that it will not simply evaporate.

Has anyone tried the emails given above? Perhaps Daniel could fill us in on the progress/gossip at the venue.

i tried one of the emails on the event poster several weeks ago and haven't received a reply...