One Pocket Handicapping

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to set up a handicapped one-pocket tournament with a wide variation of player abilities. This has resulted in races that exceed the total number of balls on the table. In the extreme case, player one needs 15 balls to win, while player two needs only 3.

Question: Is there a standard practice for when the extra balls get spotted?

Does the game start with player one owing 2 balls, which are spotted after he sinks them and then he goes to 13 for the win?

Or...

Are the extra balls spotted only if needed (i.e.. the table has been cleared).

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to set up a handicapped one-pocket tournament with a wide variation of player abilities. This has resulted in races that exceed the total number of balls on the table. In the extreme case, player one needs 15 balls to win, while player two needs only 3.

Does the game start with player one owing 2 balls, which are spotted after he sinks them and then he goes to 13 for the win?

Or...

http://www.onepocket.org/one-pocket-handicaps/

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Or...

Feel free to pm me if this is confusing: An even game is 8-8, right? 8 + 8=16, right? So, if the ball count is over 16, that's how many spot. Ex: Player A is spotting B 15-5. That adds-up to 20,right? So, A would have to spot four balls then go to eleven(11+5=16). Balls are spotted at end of a players inning. So, the base number for spotting is 16. If game adds up to exactly 16balls or less there is no spotting(13-3, 12-3 for ex). Crazy example: once saw Ronnie Allen play this cat 23-3. Thats 26,right? So RA had to spot ten balls and then go to 13(13+3=16).

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to change the subject slightly, but I think you should have a limit on max spot. 15-3 is something a top "A" player will give a sucker D player with deep pockets for 100 a game or more. It should not even be a distant thought for a local room tournament.

Would you have a local 9 ball tournament where the max spot is every single odd ball, for example?

I'd personally make the maximum spot for a weekly/montly local one pocket event 9-6, or at absolute max 10-6.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to change the subject slightly, but I think you should have a limit on max spot. 15-3 is something a top "A" player will give a sucker D player with deep pockets for 100 a game or more. It should not even be a distant thought for a local room tournament.

Would you have a local 9 ball tournament where the max spot is every single odd ball, for example?

I'd personally make the maximum spot for a weekly/montly local one pocket event 9-6, or at absolute max 10-6.
The problem will be retaining the C players who are just starting to play one pocket. Unless the top players are barred, the weakest players have no chance even at 10-5. If there are enough players, two divisions might be a solution.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We used to do one where players were rated from 5 to 15. You went to your number and it worked fine.(Players of same rating both go to eight). If you have players fairly new to the game playing then even 10-6 is often not enough weight.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is possible to use handicap tools on the FargoRate site to help set up the handicaps. This is not perfect for one pocket because the nature of the game changes with the number of balls on the table, but I think it will be pretty close. Also, if players have a Fargo rating for nine ball, it is just a strong suggestion for a one pocket rating.

Anyway, here is a table of rating differences versus a fair (50-50) spot. I have limited the smallest number of balls to 3.

Ball -- Rating
Spot -- Difference

8-8 .. 0
8-7 .. 20
9-7 .. 38
9-6 .. 61
10-6 .. 77
10-5 .. 105
11-5 .. 119
11-4 .. 154
12-4 .. 167
12-3 .. 213
13-3 .. 224
14-3 .. 235
15-3 .. 246
16-3 .. 255

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is possible to use handicap tools on the FargoRate site to help set up the handicaps. This is not perfect for one pocket because the nature of the game changes with the number of balls on the table, but I think it will be pretty close. Also, if players have a Fargo rating for nine ball, it is just a strong suggestion for a one pocket rating.

Anyway, here is a table of rating differences versus a fair (50-50) spot. I have limited the smallest number of balls to 3.

Ball -- Rating
Spot -- Difference

8-8 .. 0
8-7 .. 20
9-7 .. 38
9-6 .. 61
10-6 .. 77
10-5 .. 105
11-5 .. 119
11-4 .. 154
12-4 .. 167
12-3 .. 213
13-3 .. 224
14-3 .. 235
15-3 .. 246
16-3 .. 255
Great idea. Might have to try that out. Great starting point and could probably be tweaked if necessary.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Let’s spice it up a bit....
...you also have ‘one and stop’, ‘one and hit’, ‘two and stop’, ‘two and hit’.......etc