How good was Mark Tadd?

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
i walked into hard times one day, and saw tadd practicing with our own jimmy m. if you have even been to bellflower hard times, you know it is pretty no nonsense. so, he was in the tournament room, practicing with jimmy, and literally squawking loudly the word "sweeeeeeeeeeeet" every couple of minutes. nobodt said a word to him-- thats how good he was, and he knew it.

Yes, I remember the "SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET" very well. LOL. It wasn't enough that he'd get out from everywhere, but he'd be yelling "SWEEEEEEEEEEEET" every time he rifled a tester in on you. Haha.

He is a character and, as great as he was playing at one time (and he was playing GREAT), I don't believe that he ever realized his full potential. Not that I'm around playing myself, but I miss having him in the pool world. On top of being a great player that was entertaining to watch and have in the pool room, he was also a friend that was a lot of fun to hang out with.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know Mark Tadd but I did see a video on youtube of him playing another top player (Davenport I think). He seemed to be very impatient when the other guy was shooting. Jay was one of the commentators and he was the TD as well. He said that Mark had a bad habit of walking around and talking while the other guy was shooting.

He just struck me as a guy who liked to be at the table shooting and had little patience when he wasn't.

enzo

Banned
I didn't know Mark Tadd but I did see a video on youtube of him playing another top player (Davenport I think). He seemed to be very impatient when the other guy was shooting. Jay was one of the commentators and he was the TD as well. He said that Mark had a bad habit of walking around and talking while the other guy was shooting.

He just struck me as a guy who liked to be at the table shooting and had little patience when he wasn't.

maybe thats why he was so driven to play so good, haha. he was one of the best shotmakers i ever saw. also noteworthy, jimmy m said he thought he hadnt reached his potential yet, amazing.

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2 cents

I happened to be living in LA in the early 90's when Tadd was very feared.When he walked into a pool room,his presence was magnetic.Charisma is the word that comes to mind.Everybody wanted to play like him.
Remember the first Nike commercial when all the kids were saying "I am Tiger Woods",well all the pool players were saying "I am Mark Tadd".
Mark gave his testimonial on this website as to why he quit gambling and pursued a different life.You can go look at his Facebook or Myspace page as well.He says that he obtained much of what the world has to offer(money,fame,women,etc-etc)but nothing made him happy and filled the emptiness within him.
The reality is that Mark Tadd is just a man like anyone else.A man with a remarkable talent,but also a man filled with insecurities and shortcomings.Believe me when I tell you that if he read a lot of the posts on here about people glorifying him,he would see right through it all.It would mean zero to him because he knows that his pool talent means nothing in the grand scheme of things.He found the truth and the truth set him free.

patrickjuhlin

A+ Banger
Silver Member
I just recently played pool at our local pool hall "the Ritz" where Mark played the majority of his pool while here in Salt Lake. The guy that works the counter told me Mark had been coming in and playing lately. Hopefully I'll bump into him again and catch up. The last time I saw him at the Utah Open a couple of years back he asked me to make him cue that had a very thick handle and also talked about how he loves the hit of a one piece cue.

pwmike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Tadd

The LA Open mark played he won the bank pool ,the 9ball and placed 2nd in the 1pocket.He lost to Steve Cook.The 1pocket was hill-hill on games and hill-hill on balls.Cheyenne Pete busted Mark playing 1pocket and banks in Pete`s place in1990 or1991.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don`t know the truth but I was told that he found Jesus after he was badly beaten in Washington DC in a gambling match by a well known African American pool player of DC area.It has been so long ago I now don`t remember any details.:cool:

I would really like to know more about that?