The Rat Table

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is my second Fisher. My first was somewhere around 1982-3. $60 For the slate(marble) and rails. I had a waterbed shop and had it up and running in a day.

Can't remember if that was before or after my 9' franken table, Wendt from early 1900's and Brunswick and uhm junk find. That is a long story....

This is now officially my best table yet. By the way Glen did give me some very valuable knowledge with the Franken table.

So back to the table. I had to finish glueing in the pocket liners. It is still amazing how level that slate plays. Never a hint of a Valley Roll. I left the pockets and rails stock. With good craftsmanship with the training from some of the best. I am proud of the way it plays, not the way it looks.

Yes the Fisher does have potential. What was that saying, "Body by Fisher."?

Oh Crap! Did I mention that I made my first pool table, in 1974? Another long story. Heh heh! :wink:

My list of home tables - Sport King came first when I was in my early 20's, Gold Crown I after closing my first pool hall, Gandy came after my divorce, back to a great older Sport King set up by Ernesto that got a lot of action, Gold Crown III on the deck outside my apartment when I was raising my oldest daughter, Brunswick Gipson which I ended up selling to Tate, Gold Crown IV in my new house, and finally the Diamond Pro-Am I have now.

Other tables I bought and never installed included a beautiful Anniversary and a Gold Crown V, the coolest table of all imo. That's the table I wish I had kept. The second Sport King (by Ernesto) may have played the best of them all! I never had a bar table in my home and won't either ;). Okay, okay, I might put a Diamond Smart 7' table in if that's all I had room for. At least it's a real pool table.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Have it on a trailer.

Make that, “Have Table Will Travel “.🤔 Does that date me?

Look out for the person that brings a cue stick. What about a guy that brings a set of balls.

You bring your stick and balls and we can play on my table. I have it in the parking lot.🤪🥴

Could not remember how to post the picture:shrug:

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a table ,a capital Line I think it was made in Ohio.Columbus maybe I think it was a well built table

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A Valley on my patio

I have a Valley rat table on my patio. Didn't have room for bigger and didn't want a nice table in the weather. Found a very nice nine footer I could have scored for $200, painful to let that $2000 table slip by but it was at an estate sale and I couldn't move it fast, as is always required at those sales.

Paid more for the Valley but it fits the location, both size and quality. Nice to have it set in place and it came complete with sticks, balls, triangle, and cover. Most need upgrades but even the cloth is fair. Not great but I have played on much worse!

Any port in a storm and any table to roll balls around on beats no table at all! Besides that, if I do play around here it will be on a bar table. If the hall survives covid and the storm the nearest Diamonds I know of are thirty miles or so away. One nine footer, a dozen sevens. Decent place but I didn't drive thirty miles each way to play on a seven foot table if the big one was taken.

Trying to get a chance to JohnnyT somebody on my gaff table but I don't get many strangers on this farm! Insurance adjuster scheduled for Monday, would be a fine specimen. I can hope!

Hu

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a GC IV in my basement for ten years replacing a furniture grade table. And very happy I did. But a couple of weeks ago a Valley barbox went in next to it. Still learning about a funny roll down the rails and that's OK. Variety is the spice of life. Very good training for finding rat bar tables on my cross country tours. Adapt and overcome.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Valley rat table on my patio. Didn't have room for bigger and didn't want a nice table in the weather. Found a very nice nine footer I could have scored for $200, painful to let that $2000 table slip by but it was at an estate sale and I couldn't move it fast, as is always required at those sales.

Paid more for the Valley but it fits the location, both size and quality. Nice to have it set in place and it came complete with sticks, balls, triangle, and cover. Most need upgrades but even the cloth is fair. Not great but I have played on much worse!

Any port in a storm and any table to roll balls around on beats no table at all! Besides that, if I do play around here it will be on a bar table. If the hall survives covid and the storm the nearest Diamonds I know of are thirty miles or so away. One nine footer, a dozen sevens. Decent place but I didn't drive thirty miles each way to play on a seven foot table if the big one was taken.

Trying to get a chance to JohnnyT somebody on my gaff table but I don't get many strangers on this farm! Insurance adjuster scheduled for Monday, would be a fine specimen. I can hope!

Hu

Wasnt johnnyt but I know a great roadplayer who found a good pool player who paints houses and had him come over for a estimate. Painter sees the table and is willing to wager part of the job. Roadplayer got a great paint job at a low price:wink:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
94394AD2-3EFE-4624-9DFA-73594987EAA0.jpeg

Hope this works.
Only took 2 days to figure it out.
Reviving the table then building a shop for it have kept me amused and at home during this pandemic.
3F68424A-61D0-48B8-B53E-EF548E571384.jpeg

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I am in heaven. Well I have not done anything about the air conditioning. It is Arizona. The corner pockets are 4 1/8” now and the sides are uh small. The cut of the pockets makes them tough but true. Sometimes I have to remember I love it when I miss in practice 🥴.

B1F2D96B-623E-4238-8DE2-AD683FBCF93B.jpg

078253C3-23BF-4888-A246-58504B047396.jpeg

DD141CC6-B90A-475D-9815-20C1E405531D.jpeg

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The sign on the gate says, “Caution
Before entry call Jackie ***_***_****
Or Greg ***_***_****.” AFC2DEDD-903E-4D9A-97D1-A384C273CEF4.jpgThis guy didn’t call.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I was shooting 9 ball barefoot with the door open. Looked out and he was uh just a shovel from the door.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Hmmmm, it’s a given that I must eat it. Have the skin in glycerin. Might put a wrap on my cue.
I bought the Joss cue from Cole back around’88. The wrap had a couple of nicks and eventually came unraveled. Under the wrap it had Cole’s name and the date. Since I liked it without the wrap I have played with it that way ever since. Wore the ink away completely. Now I can’t remember the date.

Hmmm Diamondback wrap sounds like a fun project.