Looking for custom recommendations

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have posted these a couple times but I'm looking for a new or used custom cue and was wondering what makers are good for what I'm looking for? I'm currently playing with a carbon fiber shaft and I am kind of not a fan because it's hard to curve the ball it feels like. I'm looking for one with good maple shafts that play consistently between cues by the maker.

Some of the makers I was thinking about.

Diveney
Lambros
PFD
Bender
Scruggs
Bob Owen

Any other recommendations? I want a firm hit with a lot of feedback.

Last edited:
So I have posted these a couple times but I'm looking for a new or used custom cue and was wondering what makers are good for what I'm looking for? I'm currently playing with a carbon fiber shaft and I am kind of not a fan because it's hard to curve the ball it feels like. I'm looking for one with good maple shafts that play consistently.

Diveney
Lambros
PFD
Bender
Scruggs
Bob Owen

Get a DZ cue. His cues are super nice, and very reasonable priced. $1,000 for a 4 point with veneers, and leather wrap.

https://www.dzcues.com/

Also, check out his youtube videos. They are really great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpG1DQXhBaeBevYRDRQMetg

So I have posted these a couple times but I'm looking for a new or used custom cue and was wondering what makers are good for what I'm looking for? I'm currently playing with a carbon fiber shaft and I am kind of not a fan because it's hard to curve the ball it feels like. I'm looking for one with good maple shafts that play consistently between cues by the maker.

Diveney
Lambros
PFD
Bender
Scruggs
Bob Owen

I would get a Lambros, if I had the cash for one. His cues are so nice, and with the longest points I ever seen on a cue. I am just crazy about them, and their unique Ultra Joint.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diveney cues are top shelf.... I have two and they both feel like they hit and play the same.
Love the shafts!

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Owen can make the cue of your dreams come to life. Check out the cue gallery section for proof.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diveney. I guess I’m kinda partial here because I play with a Diveney myself. Also Pat is a great guy to work with. I doubt though that you could go wrong with any of the makers on your list. I’m sure all of them make very nice playing cues. Tough decision to make. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Sadly, you have to either buy a used Scruggs or a "new" collector's piece and put it into action. I suggest whichever you can afford. Either way, put a tip on it you like, take care of it, and you will play with it until you die. You will never regret buying a Scruggs.
I hear a lot of regret from folks who sold one.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All good recommendations here- I own a Scruggs and a DZ, as were mentioned above- both are top shelf. I would go with a new DZ, bc you don't know if any used cue has issues unless you play with it first - so if you can play with a Scruggs before purchase- that is an option too.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Diveney
Lambros
PFD
Bender
Scruggs
Bob Owen

You have a very good list already. Firm hit w/ good feedback, and doesn't break the bank? Jeff Olney all day

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a firm hit with a lot of feedback and consistency from cue to cue, then a Blue Grass should be one of your options to try.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one name that stands out for a consistently stiff hit with allot of action would be Bender 100%.
I've owned 3, and regret selling them.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
New?

Paul Drexler. Great Cues everyone pays the same. Dealer prices for everyone.
I do have a few TS and Drexler Cues. And Rick Howards too.
Paul probably has a couple hundred blanks ready to go. Call him up.
Nick :)

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only one on the list I've actually hit with was a Diveney and I liked it a lot. I'm leaning toward a Lambros or Diveney currently. I have just heard good things about all the cues I listed.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a firm hit with a lot of feedback and consistency from cue to cue, then a Blue Grass should be one of your options to try.

At none, Richard Harris builds the most consistent ( from cue to cue) hitting cues in the world imo. Stiff but not very...”crisp”imo... but lots of feel and feedback

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out the cues in my signature.
I own cues from two of the cue makers.

Two from Bob Owen & one from Tim Scruggs.
Interestingly, all the cues are very close in specs.

All three of the cues have flat ivory big pin joints.
The cues are almost identical in weight as well.

I love my Scruggs cue and it uses a radial pin.
It narrowly beats the first cue Bob made for me.

So I’d normally say get a Scruggs if you can, if
I hadn’t ordered that 2nd cue from Bob Owen.

The last cue he made me hands down beats
my Scruggs cue for just overall feel and play.

So I think you could go either way......get a nice
Owen cue, pre-owned or order one, or a TS cue.

Matt B.

p.s. The pins in my Owen cues are 3/8x10 and
3/8x11 (titanium and the other is brass)