Pool Cues now made in China?

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far I've heard that Predator and Falcon now make their cues in China.I've also heard that Dufferin cues were bought out and now made in China.

Does anyone know of any other cues now made in China.Is the quality suffering?How much do these factories pay their labourers?

My first cue was a Dufferin Sneaky Pete and I also previously owned a Falcon with a Predator shaft.Not bad beginners cues,however, I'd really be reluctant to recommend them to anyone now.
RJ

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I heard that Sledgehammer break cues are being made there now...
________

Last edited:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Craig Fales said:
I heard that Sledgehammer break cues are being made there now...

I heard they were, but when McDermott hooked up with them they were moved back to the USA.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Lucasi cues are made in China. If they are, that's fine with me. I have a SP Lucasi for bar play and think it's an incredible value. Other Lucasi cues I tried were remarkably good for the money, too.

O

onepocketchump

I heard the Chinese have secretly outsourced their production to Mars. The little martian beings are being paid in fish eyeballs. But it's okay cuz they don't have Hummers on Mars to sap everyone's resources, be a 4000lb substitute for a penis or be the object of envy for a million wannabes.

Chinese laborers make the average wage needed to live in whatever part of China they live in. It's an Ecosystem. The price of milk reflects the average wages and like every other place on Earth with any commerce the average cost of living is low compared to the average cost of being wastefully extravagant.

John

PoolSleuth

Banned
recoveryjones said:
So far I've heard that Predator and Falcon now make their cues in China.I've also heard that Dufferin cues were bought out and now made in China.

RJ

TRUE......:mad:

Purdman

Banned
catscradle said:
I heard they were, but when McDermott hooked up with them they were moved back to the USA.

The Economy Sledges have always been made in China! They still are only McDermott is buying and selling them now. The RS and MG Customs came out of Mikes shop. That is how I understand it guys. This info came from respected, and not so respected, names in the cuemaking world.;)
Purdman

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this on the Predator thread too...

Several large 'American' production cue companies, and the largest wholesalers, including Cuestix, Cue & Case, and Sterling Gaming, all manufacture their product lines in China. That's no secret. Quality does not necessarily suffer...although there will always be some substandard manufacturing, regardless of where something is made. Lucasi and Fury are both well made, inexpensive, lines, even though they come from China. Can you find crappy cues made in China? Sure...just like you can find crappy cues made here too. However, truth be told, probably 80%+ of the cues made anywhere, for any company (American or not), come out of China...they just have a bunch of different names on them (many of which are very recognizable).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

duke@neo.rr.com

soon to be banned
Silver Member
yes

PoolSleuth said:
Too BAD all the Products that are Made in China do not refelect the price of Chineese Labor.

tap,tap,tap Poolsleuth! well said. it seems like more and more, alot of cues custom and production are being made in this God-awful quality country, but you never see price go down...do ya? they all want to make as much as they can on everything, and that's fine...good for them if they can do it, but when quality slips so does their name. I used to recommend alot of cues to people wanting to know what to buy, but anymore I just keep shut. chinise quality sucks, and when these companies / cuemakers find out the hard way by getting alot of things back for repair, I really hope it hurts their reputations for making fine cues. eventually, people will learn when to do things their way in their own shops and charge accordingly. why some people would chance damaging their reputations is beyond me, but it's done more times than not.

PoolSleuth

Banned
duke@neo.rr.com said:
tap,tap,tap Poolsleuth! well said. it seems like more and more, alot of cues custom and production are being made in this God-awful quality country, but you never see price go down...do ya? .

It not just Cues, Cases, and Billiards ACCESSORIES. Or China. how about them high priced Designer Cloths made in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and other THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES...Like Bangladesh, and other I can not name. :mad:

Was recently to Disneyland AnaSLEIM, and the Mouse has sold out to have their stuff manufactured off shore also.:(

$100.00++ Ralph Lauren stuff made in where:confused:, call American Express, or Chase Bank customer service, and you call goes to India?:confused: :confused:

Thank you Jack Welch the formor C.E.O. of G.E. for start this out sourcing thing.:mad:

Remember when Sheets, towel, rus, etc were made in the South, now they are made in South of India, Mexico, and American are with out of jobs in companies like Burlington Industries....:rolleyes:

Falconcuesltd

Hello guys, this is Peter from Falcon Cues Ltd. I would just like to clear up some of the doubts and questions a lot of you might be having at the moment.
Falcon Cues is on the move to Taiwan, that is correct. We made this decision due to business related reasons I'm sure most of you would understand. Of course we are aware of quality issues and it will be one of our main focuses once the factory is set up. We will ensure the quality of Falcon Cues made in the new factory equal to or even better than those made in Canada. This will be our committment to our customers.
Also, to ensure good customer service, we are also setting up a warehousing facility in Mississauga, Ontario at the moment. This is to ensure that our customers still gets the same product support and services they are entitled to as a Falcon customer.

I hope this will help clear some of the issues or doubts that you may have, and if you have anymore questions, you can email me at peter@falconcues.com anytime.

Cheers

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Several large 'American' production cue companies, and the largest wholesalers, including Cuestix, Cue & Case, and Sterling Gaming, all manufacture their product lines in China. That's no secret. Quality does not necessarily suffer...although there will always be some substandard manufacturing, regardless of where something is made. Lucasi and Fury are both well made, inexpensive, lines, even though they come from China. Can you find crappy cues made in China? Sure...just like you can find crappy cues made here too. However, truth be told, probably 80%+ of the cues made anywhere, for any company (American or not), come out of China...they just have a bunch of different names on them (many of which are very recognizable).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Nice post. Years ago we use to complain about cars made in Japan as crap. Back then Japan's labor rates were very low. The fact was is their cars were very good and even later became a standard for excellence.

Just because labor is cheap does not imply compassion for excellence is not present.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I recently re-wraped a Preditor 4K7. After removing the wrap, I found Chinese writing on the under wrap.

I read and write Korean, however, can not translate Chinese, however, I am familar with the text style and I am certain that it was Chinese.

Wow, I suspect that now that these cues are made in China, the prices should come way down.:D

Craig

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Purdman said:
The Economy Sledges have always been made in China! They still are only McDermott is buying and selling them now. The RS and MG Customs came out of Mikes shop. That is how I understand it guys. This info came from respected, and not so respected, names in the cuemaking world.;)
Purdman

Did you hear this from Mike himself? That would be the best place to get your info. He has a toll free 800 number & a website if you would like to ask any questions. I hope I get this right..... The economy sledges were made in Taiwan (if that is China, then I guess Alabama & Mississippi are the same state). They no longer are. Fury cues, I believe, are still made in Taiwan....in the same factory the Sledgehammers used to be made. John could clarify this or continue to talk about Mars. McDermott is also no longer making Sledgehammers. Not to get to into the business matters of it all, but there was/is a dispute between the McDermott & the owner of Sledgehammer. Current Sledgehammers are being made in Greenville SC in Mike's shop. To clarify further, if you see Mike displaying his cues he might have some of these Taiwan or McDermott models for sale as he is not fully out of the supply. But when selling them, he always makes sure the person buying knows which model they are getting.

Good luck to Mike on the IPT.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking to Mike in vegas this past May..... he was less than thrilled with McDermott, said the quality of the product carrying his name was not up to the quality he was promised. He just went back to making them himself. That way he can be sure of the quality of what is going out the door.
Chuck

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
manwon said:
I recently re-wraped a Preditor 4K7. After removing the wrap, I found Chinese writing on the under wrap.

I read and write Korean, however, can not translate Chinese, however, I am familar with the text style and I am certain that it was Chinese.

Wow, I suspect that now that these cues are made in China, the prices should come way down.:D

Craig

Craig
Where in the Cascades? Near Rainier? Have some relatives in that part of the country and have been promising to visit. How's the weather in the fall?
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Jack Madden said:
Craig
Where in the Cascades? Near Rainier? Have some relatives in that part of the country and have been promising to visit. How's the weather in the fall?
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

Hello Jack, I am located in Lakewood, Washington. Jack you most likely do not remember but we have spoken to each other before.

Jack we both a Mutual Friend in Ken "Sarge" Aylesworth and his wife Charley.

Sarge was showing me one of your cues and I had some questions so he called you up.

To answer, your question Jack, the Fall here is really nice and the weather is great, I would think that it is a great time for a visit.

If you come in, stop by my Pool Hall, Full Splice Billiards, Sarge can give you directions or you can contact me at fullsplicebilliards2@comcast.net.

Have a Great Night!!!!!

Craig