Please look at picture and advise on what to do

girlwon1

Silver Member
I just bought myself a Tournament Edition Gold Crown 4 here in San Diego. Attached you'll see a picture of just one of the legs. They have corroded and I'd like to clean them up. The rest of the table is gorgeous! What can I do?

Please note that I will have to leave the legs on when cleaning them up. I'm not taking them off the table at this point.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Tina Pawloski Malm

Attachments

• Edit50.jpeg
    Edit50.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 1,430

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Obviously prepare them first... sand/clean. Maybe brush on an epoxy paint or nice enamel.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will you advise what grit to use?

Do not use sandpaper. Either get them sandblasted or use some strong cleaners meant for restoring metal finishes. Once either or both step is taken, use a cleaner that removes the other cleaner residue that doesn’t leave a residue itself. Then apply a clear coat over the top.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The only right way will require removing them. Anything that will make them significantly better will ruin carpet.

If you are willing to jack it up and support it you can spin them off. The surface finish looks trashed so they'll need to be stripped and replated.

If you just want a quick fix you can try a scotchbrite pad and a mixture of salt, vinegar and flour. Make a paste, let it set 15 minutes then scrub with more salt and the pad...but tape off the carpet carefully.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I would try white vinegar. Put some on a rag or sponge and test it up towards the spindle, away from the edge and carpet. If it works, prewet the carpet with water around each leg, in the event of a spill, and continue.

There are stronger acids, but a spill could damage the carpeting.

YMMV

JC

Coos Cues
I just bought myself a Tournament Edition Gold Crown 4 here in San Diego. Attached you'll see a picture of just one of the legs. They have corroded and I'd like to clean them up. The rest of the table is gorgeous! What can I do?

Please note that I will have to leave the legs on when cleaning them up. I'm not taking them off the table at this point.

Tina Pawloski Malm

The gold crown has a strong enough frame you can lift is with a jack right in the middle by the side pocket.

Wash with soap and water and a green kitchen brillo pad. Then slip some paper under the legs, dry and paint black . You won't see or notice them again. Next time the table is down you can strip them down and do it right.

JC

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The gold crown has a strong enough frame you can lift is with a jack right in the middle by the side pocket.

Wash with soap and water and a green kitchen brillo pad. Then slip some paper under the legs, dry and paint black . You won't see or notice them again. Next time the table is down you can strip them down and do it right.

JC

I suggest finding a powdercoating company in your area using prismatic powders applicator locator function on their site https://www.prismaticpowders.com/find-applicator . They will blast them and coat them in what ever color you want. They will come out awesome. Good luck.

Trent from Toledo

I have restored quite a few GC's and there are a bunch of examples of powder coating on them: https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suggest finding a powdercoating company in your area using prismatic powders applicator locator function on their site https://www.prismaticpowders.com/find-applicator . They will blast them and coat them in what ever color you want. They will come out awesome. Good luck.

Trent from Toledo

I have restored quite a few GC's and there are a bunch of examples of powder coating on them: https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums

I totally agree with you but the owner does not want to remove them. Aside from powder coating if they were removed I’d clean and spray with Rustoluem hammer paint.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Will you advise what grit to use?

Try using steel wool. Maybe start with “00” grade. Rub gently. Use a light cleaning solution of some kind. Start in an area that is hidden to see how it’s going. Do not saturate. The base adjuster will fill up with liquid.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TBH, if it was me, nothing.

If you are worried about how it looks, which you obviously are I would at that point call a local table guy and have the do as Trent said.

Again, that or nothing and just enjoy the table.

Rake

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Tina Pawloski Malm

In situations analogous to this, I normally suggest to turn the radio up.

But, a serious question from a serious player deserves a serious answer. If those legs are brass, and that mess is oxidation, then you can use some kind of acid (white vinegar, lemon juice) and baking soda paste. Don’t use ammonia! Ammonia is a base, and it will eat at brass.

But... you have to be sure it’s brass (ask Brunswick), and it wouldn’t be easy to rinse off the mixture. There are off the shelf cleaners specific for brass oxidation if the home remedy isn’t your cup of tea.

That’s a lot of oxidation. Definitely you’re in for a time of it. Personally, I’d find a friend with a good jack and remove those feet.

Freddie <~~~ hth

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use Coke or Pepsi. And yes, I’m serious.

It’s a fine acidic cleaner, but you need to apply it and rinse it off, especially since there is a syrup in there. By itself, it’s not a great form factor for this application. Then again, no form factor is easy on this application.

Coca Cola does great on really bad penny corrosion. Shockingly good job.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can even try Brasso on a paper towel. Its hard to determine from the picture, exactly what Im looking at. Is the green patina forming under the clear coat, or has that already been worn/eroded away etc?

Best way to properly fix the issue involves taking them off. I understand your reluctance, and if any disassembly truly is a no-go, try the cleaning methods discussed.

If I was just wanting a quick cosmetic fix, I would clean them, then get some thin cardboard (poster board or the like), cover it in wax paper. Use it to mask/shield off the carpet by sliding it under the feet all the way around. Then carefully brush paint it the color you want with enamel paint. Dont get the paint near the very top of the foot where the bolt goes into the foot and you should be fine.

Good luck Tina, hope all is well! :thumbup:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If those feet were mine, and they are not::

I would find a person with a lathe (medium 12" to large size 24") and have them use 600 grit sandpaper and WD40 to buff them into a nice brushed finish. 600 moved back and forth while the foot si spinning will give than nice brushed finish the original ones have.

Then wipe on 3-5 coats of danish oil as water/corrosion protection.

Let cure for 14 days.

detroitfan0877

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please don't jack up your table to try and remove them...most likely nothing will go wrong but if something does go wrong it will be expensive( broken slate). If you feel you have to take them off, take the table apart and then hire a qualified mechanic to set it back up.

JC

Coos Cues
Please don't jack up your table to try and remove them...most likely nothing will go wrong but if something does go wrong it will be expensive( broken slate). If you feel you have to take them off, take the table apart and then hire a qualified mechanic to set it back up.

I agree don't do that! I didn't advise jacking up to remove them. That's way too far and will stress the opposite feet. Just enough to slide paper or cardboard under them to protect the carpet from overspray. You will not crack the slate or do any harm at all if you push from the big timber that runs end to end.

JC