Case- Shagadelic 1960's? Fine Brothers? Palmer? Doc Fry?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EDIT 7/10/2017: Case has been identified as a Viking Tiger Deluxe. I found it in a Viking catalog dated 1972 on the Viking web site. I still believe it was made by Fine Brothers. Also seen here in an undated catalog: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5921708&posted=1#post5921708

Snagged this case on Fleabay. I just could not pass up the pimped out shagadelic lining! Plus I could see it was a well made case likely from the sixties. Turns out the case is in amazing condition. Even smells new inside and does not have chalk stains. It has slight depressions where you can see it held a cue. But I don't think it was ever even opened much. The little white marks you see in one of the pictures came right off. Case is an easy 9/10 or better. A little patina on the hardware.

Anybody have any idea of the brand/maker? It does look like Fine Brothers may have made it. They used those latches and hinges on Palmer cases. The feet and handle are different though. The vinyl is tucked in the corners like we see on Fine Brothers cases. Yes, the interior does look original on close inspection. It does not seem to be a modification or addition.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I am beginning to think I need a room with green shag carpet to properly display my collections. LOL!

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Looks like one of the mcdermott box cases to me, that someone pimped out.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Never saw a McDermott case like this. Can you show me one?

No, can't find a picture. I'm likely wrong, just what it reminds me of. Haven't seen one in a long long time, but had one back in the 80's.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Skins. :thumbup:

I have a couple of those. They are actually nothing like this case.

Same handle and hinges (but not all McDermott cases used that hardware anyway). The rest of the case is actually completely different.

This case has dimensions like a Fine Brothers case. Like the De Luxe Palmer case.

Since hardware is purchased by case makers there are often similarities with hardware. The hinges are a good example.

These latches are interesting. I have never seen them on any case not made by Fine Brothers.

The latches on the McDermott case were the same ones used by O'neil. I think O'neil made at least some of their cases.

I am pretty confident this is not an O'neil case nor a McDermott case.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Thanks Skins. :thumbup:

I have a couple of those. They are actually nothing like this case.

Same handle and hinges (but not all McDermott cases used that hardware anyway). The rest of the case is actually completely different.

This case has dimensions like a Fine Brothers case. Like the De Luxe Palmer case.

Since hardware is purchased by case makers there are often similarities with hardware. The hinges are a good example.

These latches are interesting. I have never seen them on any case not made by Fine Brothers.

The latches on the McDermott case were the same ones used by O'neil. I think O'neil made at least some of their cases.

I am pretty confident this is not an O'neil case nor a McDermott case.

For sure its not a McDermott... Early O'neil?? Maybe but doubtful... Not sure what it is except cool..:)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For sure its not a McDermott... Early O'neil?? Maybe but doubtful... Not sure what it is except cool..:)

Thanks! I couldn't pass it up for relatively small money. :grin-square:

Gotta decide what will live in it now...:rolleyes: Gotta be something gaudy. :grin:

And maybe finds out what the heck it is.

Fine Brothers made cases for Palmer and Doc Fry...maybe others or some to sell themselves? Not sure.

Best I can say at the moment is likely 60's and maybe Fine Brothers.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member

I got these 2 with that fabric inside, and part of an interior made for a future project. Nice stuff really, yet a tacky element. I dig it though!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's awesome! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

We are so used to seeing fancy stuff on the outside, it's cool to see something fancy on the inside.

Everybody I show this case to is kind of "blah"....until I open it. It has gotten a smile out of everybody that has seen it. :D

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Agree, not a McDermott type, as those had textured surfaces, like Tim's, I have one of that type, sort of a dull blue color.

This case actually reminds me more of an earlier Schmelke type case, but a bit different with the latches. Cool old case though, I like the suitcase style box cases. For example, here's one of my O'Neils, which tells me that I don't think it's an early O'Neil.

Doc, I think there are two possibilities for cues to occupy your case. One, a sneaky pete, but colored purple, and neon green. Two, would be an old Paradise cue with bright green, yellow, and red acrylic rings all over the place, with asymmetrical inlays.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• DSCN0395.jpg
    DSCN0395.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 952
  • DSCN0396.JPG
    DSCN0396.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 888
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc, I think there are two possibilities for cues to occupy your case. One, a sneaky pete, but colored purple, and neon green. Two, would be an old Paradise cue with bright green, yellow, and red acrylic rings all over the place, with asymmetrical inlays.

All the best,
WW

Indeed...I may be on the hunt for a cue to match the case. That's a new twist for me.

Paradise? Maybe so...

Whatever it would be it would need to be gaudy for sure. :D

I have known one guy with a case interior like this. It was a mid-seventies case. Can't remember if it was a Schmelke case or a Viking case. Definitely one of the two, I found it in an old catalog. But it was original to the cue. The cue was the wildest McDermott you have ever seen. Made in the garage by Jim McDermott himself before the shamrock logo. It had a window, WICO vinyl points, a piloted 14 pin...and LOTS of dots and pearl rings and stuff.

Same lining as this case. He said the case was bought with the cue in 1975.

I have pictures somewhere on my PC of the cue and case.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fine Brothers made cases for Palmer and Doc Fry...maybe others or some to sell themselves? Not sure.

Best I can say at the moment is likely 60's and maybe Fine Brothers.

I still have the case that came with my Doc Frye cue. I'll post later. I paid $10 for it mid 60's

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still have the case that came with my Doc Frye cue. I'll post later. I paid $10 for it mid 60's

I know this thread is getting old but I am still hoping for pictures of your case.

My case has been dated to 1972 and is a Viking branded case made by Fine Brothers.

It is a Viking Tiger Deluxe and sold for $30 in 1972.

I also have one with the black lining, a Viking Deluxe, $25 in 1972.