Joss- 1968-1979- Post your Pictures Please!!!

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Eric,
I've only played with one Gus and that was Jeff Beys. My 70's Micarta joint Joss plays just like it. Only difference is my shafts are clean! Lol.
I love all the old wood cues.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's one...will see if I can dig up a few more oldies but goodies. This one is mid-70s...and according to Dan was very rare being 6 points, all tall.

joss-matt-1-fh.jpg

joss-matt-1-bh.jpg

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got lucky on eBay and found 2 unused Brunswick KU Bumpers for $16 each. My Joss was missing the original brown bumper. Not any more. Looks perfect.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Eric,
I've only played with one Gus and that was Jeff Beys. My 70's Micarta joint Joss plays just like it. Only difference is my shafts are clean! Lol.
I love all the old wood cues.

I have played alot with Jeff's cue, infact I had Barry refinish it for him as a gift(Jeff takes is a very close friend and I wanted to do something nice for him) I couldnt stand to see it all dinged up, its one hell of a good Gus. IMO its one of the best playing Gus's there is.

I'm going to take pics of a old Joss(Fat ass and all) for this thread next time I see my friend, I cant make a ball with it-however I have seen my friend shoot my jewels off with it many times, I just cant get used to Joss cues from that period, but thats my problem, the cues Bill made were as good as any cues built quality wise. I have owned so many of them and never kept one:mad:

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played alot with Jeff's cue, infact I had Barry refinish it for him as a gift(Jeff takes is a very close friend and I wanted to do something nice for him) I couldnt stand to see it all dinged up, its one hell of a good Gus. IMO its one of the best playing Gus's there is.

I'm going to take pics of a old Joss(Fat ass and all) for this thread next time I see my friend, I cant make a ball with it-however I have seen my friend shoot my jewels off with it many times, I just cant get used to Joss cues from that period, but thats my problem, the cues Bill made were as good as any cues built quality wise. I have owned so many of them and never kept one:mad:
I love that way Jeff's Gus looks. I'm a sucker for green veneers and the Bushka Rings. That cue felt so damn good! The shafts were so grimy though. That cue really sticks in my head for some reason.
I'm surprised you can't hit with an old Joss. It's weird some cues are like that for particular people. I can't hit with a Carmeli and Predator shafts. Strange.
Thanks for posting once you get those pictures.

Boaz

1978 JOSS Cue

I had this cue custom made for me in 1978. I still remember going to Danny's shop in Towson (he had dark hair then) and telling him what I wanted in the cue. It was completed in about three months and it was perfect. It still is...31 years later. Two shalfts, ivory ferrules and it still hits like the first time I shot with it. By the way, both shafts are, to this day, perfectly straight. An amazing cue.

Attachments

• JOSS 1978.jpg
    JOSS 1978.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 2,466
  • JOSS 1978 2.jpg
    JOSS 1978 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,476

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
I had this cue custom made for me in 1978. I still remember going to Danny's shop in Towson (he had dark hair then) and telling him what I wanted in the cue. It was completed in about three months and it was perfect. It still is...31 years later. Two shalfts, ivory ferrules and it still hits like the first time I shot with it. By the way, both shafts are, to this day, perfectly straight. An amazing cue.

Very nice cue! Looks like you have taken care of it through the years....Out of curiousity, do you remember what you paid for it?

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's mine one before and one after Stroud left.

Attachments

• 000_0033.jpg
    000_0033.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,626
  • 000_0034.jpg
    000_0034.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,506
  • 000_0035.jpg
    000_0035.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,517

Boaz

I paid $170.00 for the cue with two shafts with ivory ferrules. Back then, unless you wanted something really unusual, Danny had three levels of cues that he offered. Level one had a plain forearm, two shafts ivory ferrules for $150.00, then one like mine with four points, four veneers, two shafts ivory ferrules for $170.00 and then level three which was level two only with some additional inlays in the butt sleeve for $220.00.
I also bought a Fellini case for $50.00 when I picked up the cue. Danny was selling black ones and brown ones and I chose a brown one. Mine is still in excllent condition by the way.
You see, back then, these things were not bought wih collecting in mind. They were tools that we used to play pool with. There was no hype associated with any of this stuff then. If there was, don't you think I would have taken the bus a little farther up the road to Gus Szamboti's shop and gotten one of his cues? They were just like mine, cost about $30.00 or $40.00 more but were not considered any better. JOSS cues back then that were being made by Danny Janes and Tim Scurggs were considered to be some of the best cues you could get and a lot of the top players of that era were using them. So, I followed along...who'd a thunk it?

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
I paid $170.00 for the cue with two shafts with ivory ferrules. Back then, unless you wanted something really unusual, Danny had three levels of cues that he offered. Level one had a plain forearm, two shafts ivory ferrules for $150.00, then one like mine with four points, four veneers, two shafts ivory ferrules for $170.00 and then level three which was level two only with some additional inlays in the butt sleeve for $220.00.
I also bought a Fellini case for $50.00 when I picked up the cue. Danny was selling black ones and brown ones and I chose a brown one. Mine is still in excllent condition by the way.
You see, back then, these things were not bought wih collecting in mind. They were tools that we used to play pool with. There was no hype associated with any of this stuff then. If there was, don't you think I would have taken the bus a little farther up the road to Gus Szamboti's shop and gotten one of his cues? They were just like mine, cost about $30.00 or $40.00 more but were not considered any better. JOSS cues back then that were being made by Danny Janes and Tim Scurggs were considered to be some of the best cues you could get and a lot of the top players of that era were using them. So, I followed along...who'd a thunk it?

Cool info. Thanks for sharing....

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Early Joss Box Cue

I haven't seen many Stroud era box cues, let alone ones with the box points like this one.
White is ivory except for the butt cap. A member asked me for a close up of the logo so I
posted a few pics. Sorry for the poor quality. Enjoy

Thanks to Bill Grassley for finding the cue and maiking it available again.

MVC-016F.jpg

MVC-017F.jpg

MVC-015S.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
That Joss box cue may be my favorite Joss cue of all time. Thanks for sharing.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
That Joss box cue may be my favorite Joss cue of all time. Thanks for sharing.

High praises from a Joss Fan; thank you. If you want to shoot a few racks with it, I get to Peabody for their 3-cushion events.

The design is one of my favorites too. I wouldn't call it my favorite Joss of all time, but I am really proud to own it. Those guys in Maryland turned out a few jems in their time.