Cisneros Murphy pool cue ?

djoverboard

Registered
A guy came in to to hall today with a cue that looks similar to a willie hoppe but with a Cisero Murphy signature. Any one know anything about these cues?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
A guy came in to to hall today with a cue that looks similar to a willie hoppe but with a Cisero Murphy signature. Any one know anything about these cues?

I'm FB friends with Ciscero....why don't don't you reach out to him?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ciscero Murphy

did Brunswick make a cue in his honor

I can not remember the story of murphy
someone tell us about him

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm FB friends with Ciscero....why don't don't you reach out to him?

He passed in 1996

sporttoday.org/12_64ec045265b979b3_1.htm
James "Cisero" Murphy, the first black player to enter a world title pocket billiard tournament and the first black player to win one (1965), died April 20, 1996. Born in 1936, Murphy was New York City straight pool champion at age 16 and won the Eastern States 14.1 title every year from 1959 to 1964. He was also Maine State champion

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ciscero Murphy

did Brunswick make a cue in his honor

I can not remember the story of murphy
someone tell us about him

Cisero was a legendary straight pooler who won the World 14.1 Championship in the late 1960's. He was an African American who was denied entry into the top events for years. Among the many who protested on his behalf in the 1960's was the late Steve Mizerak.

Inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame in 1995, just months before his death in a car accident.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
He passed in 1996

sporttoday.org/12_64ec045265b979b3_1.htm
James "Cisero" Murphy, the first black player to enter a world title pocket billiard tournament and the first black player to win one (1965), died April 20, 1996. Born in 1936, Murphy was New York City straight pool champion at age 16 and won the Eastern States 14.1 title every year from 1959 to 1964. He was also Maine State champion

That's what I thought But....

Humm, he responded back, just a few mths ago, must of been a family member? I was surprised, but I friended him and got a response. I'll have to go back and see what's up with that.

Thx

Just ck'd my FB moments ago, read down, it's his son. Thx again.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I thought But....

Humm, he responded back, just a few mths ago, must of been a family member? I was surprised, but I friended him and got a response. I'll have to go back and see what's up with that.

Thx

Just ck'd my FB moments ago, read down, it's his son. Thx again.

Damn Bill I thought you found a time portal.
You could have been rich.
Bought microsoft,facebook,tesla and on.
Could have snagged a couple $150 Buskas just for fun.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were Cisero Murphy cues produced by either Helmstetter, Adam, or one of those groups that mfg. in Japan and I have seen a few of them , I think some Lou Butera cues were made as well - They had pictures of the players on the buttcap - I think that they were made in the 80s or early 90s. sometimes you may see them on eBay.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cisero was a legendary straight pooler who won the World 14.1 Championship in the late 1960's. He was an African American who was denied entry into the top events for years. Among the many who protested on his behalf in the 1960's was the late Steve Mizerak.

Inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame in 1995, just months before his death in a car accident.
He’s in there somewhere

AAEE05B9-FEFD-420E-9630-8D6FB8E7D8E9.jpeg

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
him like many pool players of that era. had cues made with their signature when they started making junk cues overseas.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adam made them, it was called the all-star lineup! Featured Hopkins, Rempe, Mizerak, and of course Cisero. Not cheaply made. Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• B14B918F-9E1F-4C64-A1C6-03416F8E7731.jpeg
    B14B918F-9E1F-4C64-A1C6-03416F8E7731.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 635
  • 727DE60C-10FF-436D-BEAE-A129FDD3A5D6.jpeg
    727DE60C-10FF-436D-BEAE-A129FDD3A5D6.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 650

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard a story that Murphy went to a tournament and wanted to get money for his cue. A guy recognized him in the parking lot and asked what he was doing at the tourny, when he said I'm going to auction off my cue and the guy said how much for a ticket and he said ,something that added up to 1000.00 and the guy said I'll just buy it now for 1000.00 Murphy sold him the cue and before the day was over the new owner had an offer for 25 ,000.00 or 50,000.00 I can't remember which because not only was it Murphys playing cue it was the second cue ever made by Balabushka and the number 1 was missing, so it was potentially the first example of his work still left.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard a story that Murphy went to a tournament and wanted to get money for his cue. A guy recognized him in the parking lot and asked what he was doing at the tourny, when he said I'm going to auction off my cue and the guy said how much for a ticket and he said ,something that added up to 1000.00 and the guy said I'll just buy it now for 1000.00 Murphy sold him the cue and before the day was over the new owner had an offer for 25 ,000.00 or 50,000.00 I can't remember which because not only was it Murphys playing cue it was the second cue ever made by Balabushka and the number 1 was missing, so it was potentially the first example of his work still left.

that story was in billiard digest late 80's/early 90's. funny thing: i've heard of , i believe, 3 different balabuska's that were cicero's.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There were Cisero Murphy cues produced by either Helmstetter, Adam, or one of those groups that mfg. in Japan and I have seen a few of them , I think some Lou Butera cues were made as well - They had pictures of the players on the buttcap - I think that they were made in the 80s or early 90s. sometimes you may see them on eBay.

Here’s one of the Helmstetter-Adam connection

9A56E37C-51BB-407A-B28D-D12A987DF9D2.jpeg