how low can you contact cb with a level cue?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not surprised.

1. Scooping is a defined term. That’s not it.

2. Contrarianism isn’t intelligence (usually the opposite).

3. De facto is two words.

pj
chgo

Lifting the ball by shooting below center is the definition of scooping. As if a general action such as that requires definition. Why so anal? Dipping into retarded just to sling insults? Perhaps I've stumbled on your livelihood?
Anyway, You are the contradictor. Defacto could be 3 words. And you are so far, wrong.
Seems like you be the troll.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Lifting the ball by shooting below center is the definition of scooping. As if a general action such as that requires definition.
Now you're just being dishonest.

You didn't use the term as a general action; you used it because it's what a certain foul in pool is called (otherwise you wouldn't have needed to misuse "de facto") and you thought it would support your contrary (and still wrong) views about level cues.

But it's only a foul in pool if caused by an intentional miscue - so you've only once again illustrated that your objections are uninformed contrariness for its own sake.

pj
chgo

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
evergruven...Notice the size of the chalk mark on the 10 ball. It is the size of the red circle on a red circle CB (3mm or 1/8")...which happens to be the exact size of a tip of english. There are 7 tip positions on that stripe...center, three tips low and three tips high. You have contacted the 10ball at maximum low (3 tips of draw). Any lower and you would miscue. Excellent representation of how low you can effectively strike the CB! Practice hitting that spot for draw at all speeds and distances.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

following up with the
"when you draw, where should the cb contact the tip?" thread
I took some of y'all advice and tested with a stripe
to my surprise, this is as low as I could draw with a (seemingly) level cue
I tested this several times, and got a similar result each time
not only does this outcome seem to narrow down the cause of my miscue/draw woes
(with good form, I'm not getting too low/am inside miscue limit)
but it's pretty interesting in and of itself
again, I'm using a fairly small tip (11.5mm) and dime shape
and if you look at the pics, you can see the chalkmark indicating
where the curve of the tip, meets the curve of the cb
kinda cool

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
evergruven...Try your test with a larger tip and a smaller tip. Shoot the shot exactly the same way. The chalk mark will be the same size and in the same place. Maximum low will be the same, regardless of tip size, hardness, roundness, etc. Tip size is irrelevant to CB contact size (3mm or 1/8").

Scott Lee

hi jay
I've also tested this a little bit
I'm not sure how much the physics of a smaller tip/cue matter
but one advantage I notice is being able to aim the smaller tip better on the cb
makes it easier to see what you're doing, be more precise
would be curious to know what other folks think about it

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
following up with the
"when you draw, where should the cb contact the tip?" thread
I took some of y'all advice and tested with a stripe
to my surprise, this is as low as I could draw with a (seemingly) level cue
I tested this several times, and got a similar result each time
not only does this outcome seem to narrow down the cause of my miscue/draw woes
(with good form, I'm not getting too low/am inside miscue limit)
but it's pretty interesting in and of itself
again, I'm using a fairly small tip (11.5mm) and dime shape
and if you look at the pics, you can see the chalkmark indicating
where the curve of the tip, meets the curve of the cb
kinda cool

You can actually get the blue chalk mark half in the white, it takes a very good stroke delivery to do it and not miscue but is possible. Same with Maximum follow you can split the chalk mark as well.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
evergruven...Try your test with a larger tip and a smaller tip. Shoot the shot exactly the same way. The chalk mark will be the same size and in the same place. Maximum low will be the same, regardless of tip size, hardness, roundness, etc. Tip size is irrelevant to CB contact size (3mm or 1/8").
Scott,

FYI, contact patch size does vary with tip shape, tip hardness, and shot speed per the info here:

TP B.22 – How peak tip contact force and contact patch size vary with shot speed, and drop tests

Regards,
Dave

PS: A teammate of mine uses a soft tip and loves power shots. Whenever we play, it bothers me when I see gigantic chalk marks all over the CB.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice chinese Dave...but I have to disagree based on Jacksonville Project information and my own 20 year experiments and observations. To each their own, I guess. To me, the visuals say it all.

Scott Lee

Scott,

FYI, contact patch size does vary with tip shape, tip hardness, and shot speed per the info here:

TP B.22 – How peak tip contact force and contact patch size vary with shot speed, and drop tests

Regards,
Dave

PS: A teammate of mine uses a soft tip and loves power shots. Whenever we play, it bothers me when I see gigantic chalk marks all over the CB.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott,

Regards,
Dave

Nice chinese Dave...but I have to disagree based on Jacksonville Project information and my own 20 year experiments and observations.
The next time you are at a table with a variety of cues, hit a really soft center-ball shot with a really hard tip, and and then hit a really hard center-ball shot with a really soft tip of the same roundness. If the chalk marks are the same size, then you must live in an "alternative universe." :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now you're just being dishonest.

You didn't use the term as a general action; you used it because it's what a certain foul in pool is called (otherwise you wouldn't have needed to misuse "de facto") and you thought it would support your contrary (and still wrong) views about level cues.

But it's only a foul in pool if caused by an intentional miscue - so you've only once again illustrated that your objections are uninformed contrariness for its own sake.

pj
chgo

Excuse me? Grow up already. I think you have derailed yourself.

Stickin2it

Registered
pt109, If I'm not mistaken it's a limited edition Ol hausen that only came in specially marked bags of Ol Roy dog food to celebrate the release of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Very Rare and tbh he is very lucky to have found the rarest blue one that matches his felt. -- for sure I don't wanna play this guy for money.