Thorsten Hohmann is a fan of "technology"

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Just reading BD from last month. Looks like Hohmann has played with conventional cue for 27 years, no fancy tips and shafts for him.

But, he was in a funk and had only one win in the past 3 years. He finally made the switch to LD shaft in mid-October. He doesn't mention the shaft, which really doesn't matter, because that is not the point of his story.

He then won the Steinway Classic 10 ball, and the NYC 8-ball championship. SVB finished 3rd. Hohmann beat the Russian Gorst in the finals.

Hohmann said "I"m now harvesting the fruits. There are certain shots right now that I can't miss. Where before, I was afraid of them, basically it's all inside English"

I found the article interesting since I switched to LD about 7 years ago after 30 years of conventional cue. And my biggest benefit that I noticed immediately was using inside English. I hated it and it always felt like a 50/50 proposition, at best. Now, it feels like a 90% or better proposition. On certain shots it feels like 100% :)

So, just interesting how some folks can change and it helps. Of course, if you play terrific with a conventional cue, then stick with it. But, change is good, and it's good for the sport.

I'm not even a CF guy yet, but hey, it took me 30 years to change to LD, it will be a few more to go CF ;)

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats nice, I got a couple of questions for Thorsten Hohmann fans, is he still with Lucasi and only started using LD Shafts? I thought Lucasi gave him an LD shaft with his white cue back in the days, I also noticed he doesn't use the white cue anymore, so is this still a lucasi or something else? also is his LD shaft a lucasi or another brand.

Also while talking about LD shafts, I'm using the pro from Meucci, is this considered an LD shaft, or maple normal shaft? I'm wondering...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats nice, I got a couple of questions for Thorsten Hohmann fans, is he still with Lucasi and only started using LD Shafts? I thought Lucasi gave him an LD shaft with his white cue back in the days, I also noticed he doesn't use the white cue anymore, so is this still a lucasi or something else? also is his LD shaft a lucasi or another brand.

Also while talking about LD shafts, I'm using the pro from Meucci, is this considered an LD shaft, or maple normal shaft? I'm wondering...
Last time i saw him he was back to using his Vollmer with maple shaft.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time i saw him he was back to using his Vollmer with maple shaft.

This is a very good match I'm watching, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNQ3oXUk0Pg

By the looks of it, the cue looks more modern, I doubt it's vollmer, that cue he's using has red sleeve with white wrap of some type, maybe wrapless white, I don't know, but it looks like a modern cue, almost reminded me of Peri cues, but I know it isn't a peri for sure.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very good match I'm watching, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNQ3oXUk0Pg

By the looks of it, the cue looks more modern, I doubt it's vollmer, that cue he's using has red sleeve with white wrap of some type, maybe wrapless white, I don't know, but it looks like a modern cue, almost reminded me of Peri cues, but I know it isn't a peri for sure.
He was a Lucasi staff player. Has his own model: https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/lucasi-hybrid-cues-lht87-thorsten-hohmann-edition

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just reading BD from last month. Looks like Hohmann has played with conventional cue for 27 years, no fancy tips and shafts for him.

But, he was in a funk and had only one win in the past 3 years. He finally made the switch to LD shaft in mid-October. He doesn't mention the shaft, which really doesn't matter, because that is not the point of his story.

He then won the Steinway Classic 10 ball, and the NYC 8-ball championship. SVB finished 3rd. Hohmann beat the Russian Gorst in the finals.

Hohmann said "I"m now harvesting the fruits. There are certain shots right now that I can't miss. Where before, I was afraid of them, basically it's all inside English"

I found the article interesting since I switched to LD about 7 years ago after 30 years of conventional cue. And my biggest benefit that I noticed immediately was using inside English. I hated it and it always felt like a 50/50 proposition, at best. Now, it feels like a 90% or better proposition. On certain shots it feels like 100% :)

So, just interesting how some folks can change and it helps. Of course, if you play terrific with a conventional cue, then stick with it. But, change is good, and it's good for the sport.

I'm not even a CF guy yet, but hey, it took me 30 years to change to LD, it will be a few more to go CF ;)

I have been playing with an LD shaft for years, and still miss a ton of inside english shots, but if I'm honest to myself even after years of play I still second guess my shooting with spin. My head goes "is that enough, I don't think that's enough, remember you missed before thick so aim thinner" and my eyes are "don't listen to brain, that looks good" my arm and nerves are tossing in "hey enough aiming SHOOT THE DAMN SHOT". No wonder I miss.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those interested. I just did some digging and he is using a cue from a company by the name of Molinari cues, apparently, it is the sister company of Predator somehow, they claim to have cues engineered by Predator but produced by Molinari.

His cue is PP Series can be seen here. https://molinaricues.com/product/molinari-pp-series/#&gid=1&pid=1

His shaft that he's using is a vintage Predator shaft which also is sold by Molinari and called Molinari Vantage Shaft.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And, to think, some of the Pool Scientists and other people on here gave CJ Wiley hell for promoting his Touch of Inside (TOI) playing system when he used to post here.

I wonder if they are going to start badmouthing Thorsten for talking about "inside".

FWIW, if there ever was a match between CJ or Thorsten and any of the Pool Scientists on here, you don't have to guess too hard to figure out who I'll be betting on.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those interested. I just did some digging and he is using a cue from a company by the name of Molinari cues, apparently, it is the sister company of Predator somehow, they claim to have cues engineered by Predator but produced by Molinari.

His cue is PP Series can be seen here. https://molinaricues.com/product/molinari-pp-series/#&gid=1&pid=1

His shaft that he's using is a vintage Predator shaft which also is sold by Molinari and called Molinari Vantage Shaft.
Predator and Molinari are made by same company. Same factory makes Lucasi,Players and a few others.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And, to think, some of the Pool Scientists and other people on here gave CJ Wiley hell for promoting his Touch of Inside (TOI) playing system when he used to post here.

I wonder if they are going to start badmouthing Thorsten for talking about "inside".

FWIW, if there ever was a match between CJ or Thorsten and any of the Pool Scientists on here, you don't have to guess too hard to figure out who I'll be betting on.

I believe you are making a incorrect deduction as Thosten said he didnt have confidence in execution. TOI or anything cant help if you dont have the confidence to execute what you perceive to be the correct shot.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you are making a incorrect deduction as Thosten said he didnt have confidence in execution. TOI or anything cant help if you dont have the confidence to execute what you perceive to be the correct shot.

Maybe I misread what he was saying, but, whatever the case, if you use inside for the majority of your shots, you become accustomed to it and you gain confidence, not lose confidence.

Anyway, it's good that he found something that keeps him in the competition. I always liked him.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

What I thought Thorsten meant was that he now has less trouble/fear with inside english than he used to, not that he uses inside all the time.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I thought Thorsten meant was that he now has less trouble/fear with inside english than he used to, not that he uses inside all the time.

He must be getting rusty in his old age.

I've been watching him for years and he was one of the few players that looked like he never had trouble with anything. He always played rock steady.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

It's what I've been saying for a long time and is frequently disputed. For myself, I found that power shots with english were easier with LD shafts. CF shafts took that up another notch. I have found both to perform more consistently and accurately than most conventional shafts when you need to juice the ball.

There are always exceptions, of course, so each player needs to find out for themselves what works best.

The other issue is, it's possible for a player like Torsten, adapting to a new and radically different playing shaft required more practice time and that sharpened up his game. I watched him practice in person to warm up a few times and he liked to use power shots to get loose. He rarely let's it out, but he has a very powerful stroke.

Last edited:

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member

That is my test when I try a new shaft as well. If the cue ball can hold the line after hitting it with a little speed, then I'm a fan.
I started LD shaft with a used 314-2 then moved to an OB then to my Doug Patrick LD shaft...all improvements. I've tried 3 carbon shafts so far and to me, none compare to my current shaft. Tried one from Chuck Starkey, the Revo and Jacoby and I rate them in that order...worst to first. They all feel good when stroking and the hit isgood but they all deflect more than I like. Until one plays better than my Doug Patrick shaft I won't be spending $500 on a shaft

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It's what I've been saying for a long time and is frequently disputed. For myself, I found that power shots with english were easier with LD shafts. CF shafts took that up another notch. I have found both to perform more consistently and accurately than most conventional shafts when you need to juice the ball.

There are always exceptions, of course, so each player needs to find out for themselves what works best.

The other issue is, it's possible for a player like Torsten, adapting to a new and radically different playing shaft required more practice time and that sharpened up his game. I watched him practice in person to warm up a few times and he liked to use power shots to get loose. He rarely let's it out, but he has a very powerful stroke.

Yep, I agree. Inside is much easier to use imho. For those that have no problem using a regular shaft, count yourself lucky. For us mere mortals, not so lucky ;)

Yeah, I've seen Earl do the same thing warming up. I figure if their power stroke is dialed in, then their normal stroke will be like silk ;)

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
What I get from this... He was snapping off majors with a conventional shaft.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
That is my test when I try a new shaft as well. If the cue ball can hold the line after hitting it with a little speed, then I'm a fan.
I started LD shaft with a used 314-2 then moved to an OB then to my Doug Patrick LD shaft...all improvements. I've tried 3 carbon shafts so far and to me, none compare to my current shaft. Tried one from Chuck Starkey, the Revo and Jacoby and I rate them in that order...worst to first. They all feel good when stroking and the hit isgood but they all deflect more than I like. Until one plays better than my Doug Patrick shaft I won't be spending $500 on a shaft

Patrick you say? Worth taking a look into that ;) Does he only sell his shaft with his cue ?

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Not sure but I'm sure he sells just shafts. Skylar also says Doug makes the best LD shaft..or so I am told