Painting

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for information on how to paint a Gold Crown 1 pool table, I have all the wood apron's and leg's striped to bare wood wanting to know what type of primer and paint to use for these items I have got the paint codes for the 4 color's of the table gold crown 1 that were available, just needing the proper method for applying the finish.

Thanks
David

mhilton777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would take the paint codes to a good body guy and have them spray it. That will be the best way to get a good finish on it.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Painting a Gold Crown

Hi, David.

The application method depends primarily on the type of paint you choose. I think the GC I's and II's were finished with lacquer. Lacquer is a very good finish system, but can't be applied by any method other than spray.

Lacquer sanding sealer, which is the undercoater or primer, sands very easily and provides a very smooth surface for the finish coats. All coats of lacquer dissolve into the previous coat and ultimately, the finish is "one" thick coat as opposed to layers of coats.

Lacquer dries to the touch in a minute or less, thus, minimizing the threat of dust or hair settling on it and ruining the finish.

Oil based enamel paints are suitable, but are slow dry. They are vulnerable to dust and fingerprints for 8 hours or more. Oil based enamel can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed. The primers are not as easy to sand as lacquers.

The smoothness and quality of any finish system is dependent upon many factors. Dust-free environment, temperature, humidity, and proper viscosity are the big four.

Most importantly.....regardless of what any salesman may try to tell you, do not use water based latex or acrylic paints. Although latex and acrylic paints are easy to use, they are virtually impossible to touch up or repair. Many otherwise great Gold Crowns have been ruined by DIY types and a can of latex paint.

One more thing....in Texas, humidity in the air will condense in your air lines and compressor. So, if you opt for spraying, you absolutely must have an inline moisture remover.

Good luck with your project.:thumbup:

Joe

Last edited:

TourTom

Registered
Gold crown paint coes

Would you please share the Gold Crown Paint Codes with me? I'm restoring my 1963 Gold Crown and would like to match the Brunswick Gold and the Brunswick White as closely as possible. thanks

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paint

JFred thanks for the painting tip's and info, I would have rather painted in Laquer, but the paint store I went to couldn't match the Gold color I needed so I went with the color code's I had from Sherwin William's in a enamel
house paint and primer, I have the part's primed and wet sanded just need to do the color coat.
David

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TourTom, I sent you a pm . Would like to see picture's of your table when you finish.
David

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I was working on a Anniversary, I still have it. Glen had done the rail's.
I purchased a GC in good shape so decided to refinish it first.

TourTom

Registered
Painting my gold crown i

Hi Guys - Well, I'm knee deep in refinishing. I sanded the paintable parts, sealed the old paint with Shellac, sprayed 7 coats of Black Lacquer, sprayed 5 coats of Clear with Silver Metal Flake and Ghost Gold Green - NOW - I'm putting on Clear Coats to build up a smooth finish which I will ultimately Buff to a glass smooth finish with an Orbital Polishing Wheel. Here are a few photos - this takes a lot of time - about 45 days for the entire process - BUT - I think it will really be worth it!

I'm attaching a Before Photo...and a couple of others if I can figure out how to do it. Regards to all.

Attachments

• Refin 06.jpg
    Refin 06.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 834
  • Refin 07d.jpg
    Refin 07d.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 814
  • Refin 16.jpg
    Refin 16.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 834

TourTom

Registered
Painting my gold crown i

By the way, I started my Refinising Project using Lacquer Spray Paint Cans, but, it was very expensive and my finger was suffering nerve damage from pressing down on the nozzle, so, I bought a small air compressor and paint gun for about $200. The quality of the painting is much better and it goes a lot faster. The really tedious part is "using the steel wool between coats" - takes me about 2 hours per coat with all the steel wool rubbing and clean up and actual painting.

Attachments

• Refin 13 - 2012-05-26.jpg
    Refin 13 - 2012-05-26.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 798

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TourTom, table is looking good, please post picture's when complete. I'm still in the process of painting mine. Sent the corner's and feet out for chroming
last week.
David

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my table with it's new paint, this is the foot end. and a few pictures of the chrome job.

52dd2501.jpg

f29814f6.jpg

Last edited:

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TourTom, did you used the HVLP spray gun to apply the shellac? I've never done that. If so, what brand did you use?

Did you have pigment added?

How much alcohol did you use to thin the shellac, if any?

Your finish work looks great.

Thanks

TourTom

Registered
Working On It

Hi Guys.

Yo Tex...the chrome looks awesome...for some reason the photos of the table are gone...

I used HVLP for the Lacquer Only. I put the shellac on as a sealer coat with a brus.

Shellac + Black Lacquer + Clear Lacquer with Metal Flake + Clear Lacquer with Green Ghost Pearl + Clear Lacquer with Electric Blue Shimmer Pearl.

The finish is awesome. It looks black in low light. In extreme light the Metal Flake is so dazzling it looks silver. In daylight, incandescent or fluorescent the color swirls to green or blue...frankly...I think it looks like Titanium Gun Metal Blue.

I've got 25 coats on it and 10 to go.

I've been thinning the last few coats very slightly...6 parts Lacquer and 1 part alcohol.

It is important to get a heavy build up of clear over the metal flake!

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chevybob20 the cost for the chroming was around $700.00 the corner's had the ashtray's which cost the most because of the buffing.

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TourTom I reposted the picture of my paint, I use PhotoBucket and I had moved the file from one folder to another that has all my GC pictures,
sorry. Post up more picture's of your table.