RKC Diamondizing my table as I type!

mdavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OKAY, sorry again to hijack the thread...

Yes, I agree with everything you said Glen. With distributorships, prices would increase and lead-time would decrease. While my order isn't really customized in any way, I understand how customized orders take much longer (that truck you mentioned...expensive...maybe Diamond should fund it? :))

Take it easy, -mark

(how was that for short?)

Snake Plisken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OKAY, sorry again to hijack the thread...

Yes, I agree with everything you said Glen. With distributorships, prices would increase and lead-time would decrease. While my order isn't really customized in any way, I understand how customized orders take much longer (that truck you mentioned...expensive...maybe Diamond should fund it? :))

Take it easy, -mark

(how was that for short?)

No worries about the hijacking, I found the posts informative and entertaining :grin-square:.

Sorry I haven't updated my own thread, I was waiting until I was able to post pictures but have been too busy for pics lately.

Heres a quick update: RKC set-up and Cobratized my table last week.
Reminder, GC ll w/Tourney blue.
I don't even know if it needs to be said, but I think it is now the best playing table I have ever played on (note; I have never played on a Diamond).

For those that don't know by now, Glen is a perfectionist. He will not rush, but rather takes the time he needs to reach his standards (which are incredibly high). It probably took him around 1.5 hours just to level my slate (or more accurately brumstone), what other mechanic would do that?! The brumstone was twisted and contorted (as I found out is not too uncommon for this material) and Glen took his time to get the table as level as possible :grin-square:.

I also waited months for Glen and was rescheduled several times, now I know I didn't order a new Diamond, but the point I want to make is that the end results are worth the wait.

If I were to buy a new (not used) table, Diamond in my opinion is the only way to go. It will take longer to get, no doubt, but the quality of the table, the ridiiculously low price (buying direct, no middleman) and having the top table mechanic in the country setting it up would buy me some extra patience.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, as I was in a very similar situation and patience is not my strong suit.

Bottom line, get the table you truly want, you will have it for your entire life if you so choose. Don't compromise for immediate gratification or because you have become too frustrated. It's all worth it in the end.

Glen, if you read this, safe travels brother, and thanks again for helping me achieve the best playing table I could have possibly of hoped for and afforded.

Enough typing for me,

Snake out.

Snake Plisken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some Thanks

I just wanted to give a shout out to fellow AZ'ers Josh and Don of Club Billiards out of Dayton Ohio who drove up to Chicago for one day to help Glen break down and move my GC ll. When Josh finishes his apprenticeship with RKC he will be one of, if not the premiere table mechanic in the midwest.

Also, John Burns of Classic Billiards out of Maryland (Scruffy 1 here on AZ).
John exceeded my expectations of customer service. His customer service and friendliness is unfortunately becoming more and more rare now-a-days. If anyone needs any parts for their GC or other table, John at Classic Billiards should be the 1'st person you contact.
Thanks John :grin-square:

In the short time I've been here this forum has proven to not only be very informative and entertaing, but extremely instrumental in helping me achieve my dream table! Thanks to all who have replied to my posts and to those who have either directly or indirectly supplied me with information and direction which resulted in the table that I now own :wink:.

p.s Pics will be posted soon..

phread59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack this thread. But RKC I would highly suggest you look elsewhere for a new truck. I am not knocking Ford trucks. Their larger trucks (450 and up) are not bad at all. But it is as you stated a forever wait. And I'll be up front. The new Powerstroke they are using just doesn't make it. There is a reason all big trucks have a straight six in them. I don't think Dodge is a good option either. I work for a Mopar dealer. I believe they are going to urea injection this year in the bigger trucks. Not worth the hassle.

I really would look to Freightliner or White. They have basicly a few stock configurations. You get to choose running gear. The dealer should have something in stock to fit you're needs. Have a Detroit or Cummins engine with an Allison auto or Fuller stick with Eaton rears you are set to go. Have the van body installed with the tail lift. Shouldn't take more than a month. Fuel milage should be comperable. Get an air ride seat. Should almost be as comfortable as the Ford. And I think it will hold up better in the long run. And have better resale value.

I hope you got the secondary oil pump issue fixed on the old truck. Another stupid idea. But that's part of the HUIE injection system. Today's common rail stuff is much better. Oh yea just a warning to Ya. Whatever truck you get do 2 things. Leave it STOCK! No Bullydog nonsense. It'll void any warranty in a heartbeat. And use the factory schedule for fuel and air filter replacement. Keep receipts and milage when they are changed. And use quality components. Not cheapo filters. This is too keep warranty's in effect. Tech's can tell and I don't want to see you get burned. Good luck in you're truck hunt.

Mark Shuman
(who wishes for a Pro-Am for himself)

mdavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No worries about the hijacking, I found the posts informative and entertaining :grin-square:.

Sorry I haven't updated my own thread, I was waiting until I was able to post pictures but have been too busy for pics lately.

Heres a quick update: RKC set-up and Cobratized my table last week.
Reminder, GC ll w/Tourney blue.
I don't even know if it needs to be said, but I think it is now the best playing table I have ever played on (note; I have never played on a Diamond).

For those that don't know by now, Glen is a perfectionist. He will not rush, but rather takes the time he needs to reach his standards (which are incredibly high). It probably took him around 1.5 hours just to level my slate (or more accurately brumstone), what other mechanic would do that?! The brumstone was twisted and contorted (as I found out is not too uncommon for this material) and Glen took his time to get the table as level as possible :grin-square:.

I also waited months for Glen and was rescheduled several times, now I know I didn't order a new Diamond, but the point I want to make is that the end results are worth the wait.

If I were to buy a new (not used) table, Diamond in my opinion is the only way to go. It will take longer to get, no doubt, but the quality of the table, the ridiiculously low price (buying direct, no middleman) and having the top table mechanic in the country setting it up would buy me some extra patience.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, as I was in a very similar situation and patience is not my strong suit.

Bottom line, get the table you truly want, you will have it for your entire life if you so choose. Don't compromise for immediate gratification or because you have become too frustrated. It's all worth it in the end.

Glen, if you read this, safe travels brother, and thanks again for helping me achieve the best playing table I could have possibly of hoped for and afforded.

Enough typing for me,

Snake out.

Please do post pictures of the work...sounds like it went very well.

WKRP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WKPR...I'll try and take care of your table on my way out since I have to pass right by you on the way to Maine. I'll PM you so you know for sure.

I guess since you're heading out today I should expect to see you :scratchhead:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I want my table DIAMONDIZED. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Who should I call and what is the phone number?

The best posts here as Real King Cobra. His name is Glen. He did my Diamond and then Diamondized my friends Gandy Big G. H rebuilt all the rails and reconfigured the pocket openings making it into a table that plays just like a Diamond.

MikeMaaen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After ordering my ProAM from Diamond and discussions with RKC about the install... his schedule changed. I don't think it is a decision that RKC always has the final say in. Aaron at Diamond suggested delivery by Diamond Mechanics. I took his advice and had the Diamond Mechanics install my table and am VERY pleased with the job that they did. My game may not be as sophisticated as some others on this forum so, my ability to judge very fine details about a table setup is limited but, from order to delivery was about four weeks. It was a tournament used table but, other than a very minor chip (which the diamond guys pointed out) in the wood and some minor markings on the felt it looks and plays like new. Do I wish RKC could have done my install? Sure, you bet... but, don't underestimate the guys Diamond sends out. Just my 2Cents worth.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
No doubt the installers from Diamond are good, when working on Diamond tables.

How good are they redoing a Gold Crown extending and calibrating the rails to make it play like a diamond?

That is what RKC did for me and his work is top notch.

After ordering my ProAM from Diamond and discussions with RKC about the install... his schedule changed. I don't think it is a decision that RKC always has the final say in. Aaron at Diamond suggested delivery by Diamond Mechanics. I took his advice and had the Diamond Mechanics install my table and am VERY pleased with the job that they did. My game may not be as sophisticated as some others on this forum so, my ability to judge very fine details about a table setup is limited but, from order to delivery was about four weeks. It was a tournament used table but, other than a very minor chip (which the diamond guys pointed out) in the wood and some minor markings on the felt it looks and plays like new. Do I wish RKC could have done my install? Sure, you bet... but, don't underestimate the guys Diamond sends out. Just my 2Cents worth.