Want to thank Bob Jewitt

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There is a legal way to shoot this shot by laying your cue on the table and holding the ferrule between your thumb and forefinger. You can then shoot by moving the cue forward with just your two fingers. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to shoot (and control) a little tap shot (safety) this way.

That was tried at a Mizerak tournament in Biloxi....disallowed
I believe a bunch of tournaments disallowed laying your cue on the table.

crile1

Registered
Jay that's the way I was taught this by Mike Sigel back in 1989 ! He said as long as the whole cue stick is not touching the table another words you just lay the butt of the cue on the table and keep the tip end up and slid it under the cue ball and up in the same motion then it is a legal shot !

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jay that's the way I was taught this by Mike Sigel back in 1989 ! He said as long as the whole cue stick is not touching the table another words you just lay the butt of the cue on the table and keep the tip end up and slid it under the cue ball and up in the same motion then it is a legal shot !

In 1989, if you knocked an object ball off the table...no foul..it was respotted.
...some things changed for the better...including having to make a fair stroke.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Bob Jewett is awesome so are the other names I constantly see as tournament sponsors. Since this is a thank Bob thread, I won't name the other sponsors that get listed as donors.

Also thanks to all the great players that made pro billiards a career choice.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... ...some things changed for the better...including having to make a fair stroke.
Strangely, snooker permits intentional miscues. I've seen the technique used in a pro match where the player was a few mm from the ball on and had no route to a safe location. Miscue the cue ball softly into the OB.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Strangely, snooker permits intentional miscues. I've seen the technique used in a pro match where the player was a few mm from the ball on and had no route to a safe location. Miscue the cue ball softly into the OB.

I’ve never minded that.
After all, a massé shot is technically a foul also..trapping the cue ball between the tip
and the bed......but we allow it at all billiard games ‘least the ones I’ve played.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was tried at a Mizerak tournament in Biloxi....disallowed
I believe a bunch of tournaments disallowed laying your cue on the table.

Steve Mizerak actually taught me that shot decades ago. I'm talking about actually shooting straight at the cue ball and not swiping upward at it. Once again, it's very easy to control this shot when you cradle the ferrule between your thumb and forefinger. Try it, you'll like it. :)

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you understand we're messing with Bob, not with you. We all make spelling misteaks.

pj
chgo

To be honest I am kind of embarrassed by it.

I actually did a quick check for spelling before I posted. The problem was my check was from the 14.1 forum I had just been reading and a thread over there.

I think I got hustled in all directions on this.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Steve Mizerak actually taught me that shot decades ago. I'm talking about actually shooting straight at the cue ball and not swiping upward at it. Once again, it's very easy to control this shot when you cradle the ferrule between your thumb and forefinger. Try it, you'll like it. :)

I have tried this shot and it works great for many shots but there are shots (especially on a barbox) that the position of the CB in relationship to the other balls on the table or the rails and it can be difficult. It is also hard to defend in some crowds:wink:.

This shot is worth trying if you have trouble with slow tapping a shot.

rocketceo

<<< rocketceo >>>
Many, many, MANY thanks to Bob Jewett for almost 20 years of incisive, well-written and entertaining BD articles and other contributions to our game, which have made a great many of us understand the technical aspects so much better. I applaud his efforts, and look forward to his eventual inclusion in our Hall of Fame for Meritorious Service.
And many, many MANY curses to Bob Jewett for making this "impossible cut," leaving me unable to sleep at night wondering how it is done, and destroying any confidence I may have had that I have the slightest idea of how to cut a ball. https://youtu.be/GaSKh1PSqok?t=122

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many, many, MANY thanks to Bob Jewett for almost 20 years of incisive, well-written and entertaining BD articles and other contributions to our game, which have made a great many of us understand the technical aspects so much better. I applaud his efforts, and look forward to his eventual inclusion in our Hall of Fame for Meritorious Service.
And many, many MANY curses to Bob Jewett for making this "impossible cut," leaving me unable to sleep at night wondering how it is done, and destroying any confidence I may have had that I have the slightest idea of how to cut a ball. https://youtu.be/GaSKh1PSqok?t=122

Some of know how to chalk better than others.;)

But the second shot in that video, IIRC, cuts the five ball about 110 degrees, back towards the foot cushion.