Cheap action in Huntsville, Alabama 3/21 and 3/22

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well at least you got to play some. Good luck to you tonight. I would much rather play all night in a series of cheap sets than spend half the night waiting for my next match. In a place with a limited number of tables you pretty much always sit half the time waiting for your next match. That sucks to me!

Yep, I was happy with how it turned out. I am skipping the tournament on purpose tonight. They are only ten dollars, handicapped and it takes FOREVER between matches.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was that much of a grind to find a cheap set maybe it’s you and not the people you have encountered here? With all due respect.

I guess? Not sure what your getting at to be honest.

I'm not one of those azzhats that walks around talking chit.

On the other hand, I do ask people that "seem like" they would like to play, if they would like to play a cheap set of 9/10 ball.

I always, without fail, tell them:

We can play for whatever your comfortable with. I can play for super cheap and be happy as a lark or I can gamble a "little" but, not gonna get crazy.

If ^^^^^^ turns people off.... well, i dont know what to say.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple of questions...

What is a NIT?

What do you mean by you like to post after each set?

Nits come in all different varieties as already stated.

Here is one example of a NIT in Birmingham, Alabama that most here know. I'll use his first name and you guys can/can't figure the rest out for yourself.

Well known player in Birmingham named David. This is what he did:

Calls me and wants to play. I said ok and would drive (3 hours and get room) down the day before.

Ok, he said to meet him at 4pm when they opened. I get there..... he didn't show and I get a call saying he forgot and he'll be late.

I said ok.....well...2,3,4 hours pass and still hes a no show. I go back to room and after a couple hours ....guess who calls and said hes waiting on me... yep, david.

He did that because he knew it would drain my energy and hurt my game.

Ontop of that, when I went back...lol... he had his wife to come and bring him something to eat... now I'm waiting again.

Then, we finally get to play. Lol.... or do we? He starts this "check the rack chit".... right off the bat....and it went down hill from there....cry..cry...cry...evertime he missed a shot or a safe.

On the other hand, you got other types of NITS.....they dont try to shark you but, lol.... they, for example may play just as well as you but, guess what.... they want weight....or should I say a LOCK.. or maybe they will only play on a certain table that "they" know very well but not play on a table that fair game to both of you.

There are many forms.....

Most people call them professional gamblers...... some call them NITS or LOCK artist.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Couple of questions...

What is a NIT?

(What do you mean by you like to post after each set?)

I assume it means pay after each set instead of settling up when the action is done.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that needs a translator app to follow the gambling language.

A nit, in my circles, is NOT a player who doesn’t bet..I got lots of friends that don’t gamble.
A NIT is one who would love to bust somebody...but if the guy has a pulse, they’re afraid
of losing.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume it means pay after each set instead of settling up when the action is done.

A nit, in my circles, is NOT a player who doesn’t bet..I got lots of friends that don’t gamble.
A NIT is one who would love to bust somebody...but if the guy has a pulse, they’re afraid
of losing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another version of a NIT = scared to death but will steal in a HEARTBEAT.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, just got in from second night in Huntsville. Tonight, I spent most of my night at goodtimez billiards.

Their tournament was canceled due to lack of participation.

Later on, around 9ish... business picked up but it was pretty much casual players.

I ended up taking side bets on ghost races. I was so unlucky to have lost money overall while only losing "one" ghost race the entire night.

How it started was:

I said f....it and just put my headset on and pretended I was at home and started to play the ghost.

Next thing i know some guy comes up and hands me $20. Lol... i didn't know why. He said, "i was betting on your ghost race".

I had no idea people was actually betting. Well, one of the guys that lost ask me if I wanted to gamble the ghost.

I wanted to do 9 ball with 1 on spot but that didn't last but one set..lol. the last 5 sets was 9 on spot and break from box with BIH, race to 7.

I won the first five sets and had $120 bet on each one . Well, the last set this guy ask if I wanted to go for $700. I said sure.

Being the banger I am I won ~$600 on the first 5 sets and then lost $700 to one guy on the last set.

I was happy with my play. I beat the chit out of the ghost until the last set..... lost that set 7/4.

The first five sets were 2/7....to.....3/7.... but oh no...I had to choke on the good one.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nits come in all different varieties as already stated.

Here is one example of a NIT in Birmingham, Alabama that most here know. I'll use his first name and you guys can/can't figure the rest out for yourself.

Well known player in Birmingham named David. This is what he did:

Calls me and wants to play. I said ok and would drive (3 hours and get room) down the day before.

Ok, he said to meet him at 4pm when they opened. I get there..... he didn't show and I get a call saying he forgot and he'll be late.

I said ok.....well...2,3,4 hours pass and still hes a no show. I go back to room and after a couple hours ....guess who calls and said hes waiting on me... yep, david.

He did that because he knew it would drain my energy and hurt my game.

Ontop of that, when I went back...lol... he had his wife to come and bring him something to eat... now I'm waiting again.

Then, we finally get to play. Lol.... or do we? He starts this "check the rack chit".... right off the bat....and it went down hill from there....cry..cry...cry...evertime he missed a shot or a safe.

On the other hand, you got other types of NITS.....they dont try to shark you but, lol.... they, for example may play just as well as you but, guess what.... they want weight....or should I say a LOCK.. or maybe they will only play on a certain table that "they" know very well but not play on a table that fair game to both of you.

There are many forms.....

Most people call them professional gamblers...... some call them NITS or LOCK artist.
Not a chance in the world he forgot, his entire world revolves around pool. Him forgetting about a match is about as far fetched as somebody preparing for a colonoscopy forgetting to shit!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, just got in from second night in Huntsville. Tonight, I spent most of my night at goodtimez billiards.

Their tournament was canceled due to lack of participation.

Later on, around 9ish... business picked up but it was pretty much casual players.

I ended up taking side bets on ghost races. I was so unlucky to have lost money overall while only losing "one" ghost race the entire night.

How it started was:

I said f....it and just put my headset on and pretended I was at home and started to play the ghost.

Next thing i know some guy comes up and hands me $20. Lol... i didn't know why. He said, "i was betting on your ghost race".

I had no idea people was actually betting. Well, one of the guys that lost ask me if I wanted to gamble the ghost.

I wanted to do 9 ball with 1 on spot but that didn't last but one set..lol. the last 5 sets was 9 on spot and break from box with BIH, race to 7.

I won the first five sets and had $120 bet on each one . Well, the last set this guy ask if I wanted to go for $700. I said sure.

Being the banger I am I won ~$600 on the first 5 sets and then lost $700 to one guy on the last set.

I was happy with my play. I beat the chit out of the ghost until the last set..... lost that set 7/4.

The first five sets were 2/7....to.....3/7.... but oh no...I had to choke on the good one.

Interesting night. Got some action and some decent practice in under pressure. These reports are killing me. I had to put the cues away some time ago to deal with business and family matters. Kind of starting to get the itch to get back out there when things are freed up:)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a chance in the world he forgot, his entire world revolves around pool. Him forgetting about a match is about as far fetched as somebody preparing for a colonoscopy forgetting to shit!

Yep, you are correct.

I was there a few years ago and there were a few good players walking around talking chit to a bunch of weak A.... to B speed players. Saying, who wants to play...etc....etc..

Lol.... in walks cliff Joyner and some cat he run with and you never seen the "house" pros run so fast....

That's when I realized that most of the "so-called" house pros at bumpers in Birmingham was mostly NUT HUNTERS....

Not saying everyone there is scared, not at all. There are some VERY good players in the area that have gamble and are good guys to boot.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting night. Got some action and some decent practice in under pressure. These reports are killing me. I had to put the cues away some time ago to deal with business and family matters. Kind of starting to get the itch to get back out there when things are freed up:)

I felt literally no pressure in the first 5 races....none in the least. I more or less knew I won before first rack of each set.

Lol....then comes the $700 race with this one guy. Everyone else got out at that point. I usually handle pressure better but for some reason I folded on that last set.

I would give anything to have that last set on vid so i could watch it and see exactly where i went wrong because i keep playing that set in my head over and over again. I got nothing but I chomed when it mattered.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I guess I will be the first to say it...getting up 600 betting against the ghost is impressive. I don’t want none. Well done, jctherake. Bravo

I felt literally no pressure in the first 5 races....none in the least. I more or less knew I won before first rack of each set.

Lol....then comes the $700 race with this one guy. Everyone else got out at that point. I usually handle pressure better but for some reason I folded on that last set.

I would give anything to have that last set on vid so i could watch it and see exactly where i went wrong because i keep playing that set in my head over and over again. I got nothing but I chomed when it mattered.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I guess I will be the first to say it...getting up 600 betting against the ghost is impressive. I don’t want none. Well done, jctherake. Bravo

I hear ya JC I'm 50 years old making a run at it myself it's tough but fun I tell you . I've watched pool after work on TV , internet and reading AZbilliards etc for 25 years !!!! it's our time now sir . Sounds like us old timers need to play some this summer . I like any 9 footer, 10 footer , One Pocket and or 9 ball . Like playing 24hr pool rooms so I can go off ! Installed flooring for 32 years I don't get tired at 50 .When we played back in the 80s we played for days or untill someone went broke ! Sent u a PM

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear ya JC I'm 50 years old making a run at it myself it's tough but fun I tell you . I've watched pool after work on TV , internet and reading AZbilliards etc for 25 years !!!! it's our time now sir . Sounds like us old timers need to play some this summer . I like any 9 footer, 10 footer , One Pocket and or 9 ball . Like playing 24hr pool rooms so I can go off ! Installed flooring for 32 years I don't get tired at 50 .When we played back in the 80s we played for days or untill someone went broke ! Sent u a PM

Yes sir!

I sent you a PM. I would like to play some when you are close.

We can meet up or play at my place. I have a 9' pro-am with standard pro cut pockets and 860hr.

I'm not a big "go off" type player/gambler so, it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to travel very far "just for me"....however, if you happen to pass close....stop by and we'll play some.

Calzican

Registered
I'm almost positive if you come to Goodtimes the 2nd Saturday of each month you could get all you wanted.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm almost positive if you come to Goodtimes the 2nd Saturday of each month you could get all you wanted.

Talking about their monthly tournament?

If so, I did go to a couple of them. First one was a ton of fun. I played several sets and had a ball.

The last one I went to, well....it sucked:

You wanna know why? Lol.....the last one i attended was like this:

Every other player that was willing to play private sets wanted to "try" and high roll ..... I was there to have fun and play "cheap" sets man. ...... not try to make a few k.....or lose a few k.

I would ask someone to play a set for $30 or so and they would come back with "naw, but I'll play for $300, $400 or $500 a set"..

You ever experienced that? If not, I guess you dont get out much or maybe.... your one of the "pretty sporty" players that was "not willing" to play 10 bal, race to 11 for $30 to $50 a set.

Not to mention, half of those "sporty players"..... do good to get a few hundred together. That doesn't exactly entice anyone that actually worked for a living and does have money in their poccket.

I dont know you but it sounds like you may know me. If so, shoot me a pm!

EDIT:

I just read your "introduction post". Your a little younger than I am but if your a very good player, I'm 100% I will know you since florence is small and doesn't have many good pool players to speak of in the first place.

Like I said, shoot me a PM. Maybe you and I can play some cheap sets at my place, or yours if you have a table as well.

Last edited: