John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
John had the greatest opponent of all time - he was playing against HISTORY!!!!

What an achievement, I can't even fathom how much concentration it must take to make that many balls without a miss.

Congratulations and well deserved!!!!

-don

This feat is absolutely stunning.

Better than a 900 series bowling.
Better than 8 consecutive golf majors........etc.

This is the most amazing pool shooting achievement in many, many decades.

Can you imagine the pressure while shooting #526? Or #527? Or #600?
He will be recognized worldwide for this, written into history, all deserved.
Wow! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will Prout

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi John...

Congrads… on a remarkable achievement!!! Looking forward to watching it!!

Way to Go!!! You really pulled off a great feat... many including me never thought that record would been broken/fall... regardless what any nay sayers will say now or in the future - it is one hell of a feat!!!

You should be proud & so should anyone who ever picked up a cue stick on what you have done... again way to go "MR 600" & New record holder...

Shasta7... (tz)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's pretty accurate to say that most people play pool to have fun, and not make a 2nd job out of it. You're probably right that they don't want to approach it like a chess grandmaster. They are trying to forget about everything stressful in life, and enjoy a fun pastime. If they are putting anything on the game, it's a few dollars. 8 ball. & 9 ball appeal to these people.

I am well aware that some folks do treat pool like a job, and they take it very seriously. They sometimes have some serious bacon on the line too. But there aren't enough of those people to support a thriving billiards industry. The billiards industry Needs the average Joes to keep pool alive. There is $$$ in volume, and there is a lot more volume at the lower end of the scale.

What's really great for the industry, is when the average Joe decides he needs better cues, and a table at home, and he joins a league, etc. Then he encourages friends and family to get involved. But if a bunch of old timers thumb their noses at him, he may just play golf or start fishing instead of playing pool. The old timers keep their little click going, and the hobby shrinks more day by day.

You have now posted a reasonably intelligent comment, CONGRATULATIONS!

Now, the ONE part of your post that was backwards:

We old school players aren't trying to turn our noses up to younger/recreational players. OH NO!, We are try to CONVERT you/them so you guys will come to have the same intense passion for the game we all love.

We want/....NEED you to be part of us.....not push you away.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This feat is absolutely stunning.

Better than a 900 series bowling.
Better than 8 consecutive golf majors........etc.

This is the most amazing pool shooting achievement in many, many decades.

Can you imagine the pressure while shooting #526? Or #527? Or #600?
He will be recognized worldwide for this, written into history, all deserved.
Wow! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will Prout

Whilst its tricky to compare I'd say the following:

1) You have opponents in golf majors and bowling (unless its just practice in which case I'd imagine pro's have shot tons of unofficial 900's so I'd agree there).

2) No one will ever win 8 consecutive golf majors (probably), that is levels above almost anything else in sport, it would be insanely difficult.

3) Whilst its impressive, its an exhibition without an opponent. Its a Guinness World Record type achievement, but not really comparable to competitive play (of course the confidence boost from achieving it may have a knock on effect on JS's tournament play)!

I don't think there's a good comparison to other sports and also its pretty difficult to compare an exhibition run (however high profile and difficult) to a tournament situation.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How amazing! Good for you john, congratulations!

I, however, called it. Somewhere on an az forum
I predicted he would break mosconi’s record
On may 27. If i tried to find my cheeky guess
I could, right now i am just overwhelmed.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So let me get back with you on that comment, sjm:

I have to disagree with you, fully. Let me explain why:
In the basic sense of 14.1 Continuous, you have no obstacles you have to contend to; every ball equals to one. One might say that you can just bash the balls and it would be fun to just play any ball you want. As basics advance themselves and runs become a merit of the strength of the player, more tactical techniques must be finely tuned. These techniques include shot making, speed control, kiss shots, carom shots, billiard shots (or as I like to call them, "The 'real' carom shots from Carom Billiards"), clusters, understanding throw combinations, slow-speed spinners (which is SO hard to do, so well), and many more. Then, you can add kicks and banks (which is relatively rare). 14.1 is really a game of sensibilities and control. It is not like a Rotation game, where you're really making the cue-ball travel about the table.

Then after all the tactic techniques have been figured out, you have to strategize on what you have to do in order to continue the high run. "Which ball will be my break ball, my key ball, my K2KB, and it branches out all the way up until the start of the break. 14.1 is the nexus to all the other forms of Pocket Billiards.

One-Pocket?
Basically, it is 14.1 with the emphasis of Bank Pool (or if you really want to get crazy, Italian Billiards), Kicking, Carom Billiards [Cushion Caroms and 3-Cushion] and Chess... with the objective on making 8 balls on the pocket you (or they) picked.

Thanks for sharing your views here. Well said.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a link?
Or
Will a video come out to market?
Let’s face it, 626 for zero . zero dollars is kind of a bummer. I’m not complaining or being negative here, just saying, dude should’ve earned some cheese!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whilst its tricky to compare I'd say the following:

1) You have opponents in golf majors and bowling (unless its just practice in which case I'd imagine pro's have shot tons of unofficial 900's so I'd agree there).

2) No one will ever win 8 consecutive golf majors (probably), that is levels above almost anything else in sport, it would be insanely difficult.

3) Whilst its impressive, its an exhibition without an opponent. Its a Guinness World Record type achievement, but not really comparable to competitive play (of course the confidence boost from achieving it may have a knock on effect on JS's tournament play)!

I don't think there's a good comparison to other sports and also its pretty difficult to compare an exhibition run (however high profile and difficult) to a tournament situation.

You may be correct when speaking in general but, your comment doesn't hold true cor everyone.

My point:

Most people perform better in practice.

Some people perform better while in competition with a little on the line.

Now, a VERY FEW people, VERY, VERY few.....thrive on pressure. Cant perform at their best without it.

Willie was one of them. John Schmitt is another. There are a "few" other pros today that could probably do it if they stopped everything and committed to it the way John has but they just didn't see the incentive.

After all, it's not like it's a "for sure" thing.....even in practice.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be correct when speaking in general but, your comment doesn't hold true cor everyone.

My point:

Most people perform better in practice.

Some people perform better while in competition with a little on the line.

Now, a VERY FEW people, VERY, VERY few.....thrive on pressure. Cant perform at their best without it.

Willie was one of them. John Schmitt is another. There are a "few" other pros today that could probably do it if they stopped everything and committed to it the way John has but they just didn't see the incentive.

After all, it's not like it's a "for sure" thing.....even in practice.

Absolutely, I'm not trying to downplay the achievement, it is clearly a very difficult thing to do, as no-one has done it before! I'm just saying its not really possible to make direct comparisons to other sports (or even pool). For example is a 200 and out in competition more or less impressive (perhaps impressive is the wrong word there, but what would a pro prefer)? Is 11 racks in a row of 9-Ball in competition more or less impressive and so on...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There once was a player named Schmidt
Who said “I’m not gonna quit
If everything clicks
I’ll run six twenty six
And the world can try to beat it”

There was a player named Schmidt,
Who said, "This forum is full of sh!t!
I run racks of balls,
In all pool halls,
And some Mosconi fans just nit...

All the best,
WW

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to think the coolest story I ever Read on AZ billiards was that John Schmidt came on this website and asked for a backer for the U.S. Open and someone stepped up and got half of the prize money. (was it 20,000 or 25,000?) John is now responsible for the two coolest stories I’ve ever read on here. I spent many hours watching him try to break the record and saw his reactions when he failed after many high runs. This is just too wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely, I'm not trying to downplay the achievement, it is clearly a very difficult thing to do, as no-one has done it before! I'm just saying its not really possible to make direct comparisons to other sports (or even pool). For example is a 200 and out in competition more or less impressive (perhaps impressive is the wrong word there, but what would a pro prefer)? Is 11 racks in a row of 9-Ball in competition more or less impressive and so on...

Understood, were on the same page.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is John in the Hall of Fame? If not, I would love to see him in there. Between winning an US Open and setting this record along with all the other victories he has I think he should be in the HoF. What is the nomination process? can I nominate him?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a local news broadcast about the feat (also posted by speedy5963 above) - in it they say the video and witness statements are being submitted to the BCA for certification of the new record. It also has a nice interview with John.

pj
chgo

I is confused.

I thought the BCA no longer had a record review committee, section, board, team, whatever... Maybe they will convene one and we can all watch what color smoke comes out the chimney.

Lou Figueroa

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
To all that question JS's record as valid because it was an exhibition and not in competition:

If a person downed 84 hot dogs in a non-competitive setting but had sworn witnesses signing affidavits and video footage, would that person then be known as the world-record holder??? ;)

Just askin'.

Maniac (opines that John Schmidt IS the record holder)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Is John in the Hall of Fame? If not, I would love to see him in there. Between winning an US Open and setting this record along with all the other victories he has I think he should be in the HoF. What is the nomination process? can I nominate him?

Good question, he is not in the Hall of Fame. This might put him in, at some point. The supposed record, that has stood for decades has been substantially beat, for a 14.1 run. Seems to me it's a fair point that John gets in the Hall of Fame.

Not to knock it, but we have a referee in the Hall of Fame. How is this accomplishment not greater?

All the best,
WW

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Cool as ice, not to be rushed,
at the low 500s, the crowd was hushed.
And not one time was a bad decision,
each shot made with skill and precision.
The record didn't break, it was totally crushed!

Last edited: