POCKET HANGERS … Everything You Need to Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
P.s 1080 views so far 143 likes and ZERO dislikes! ;)
Oh ... they’re coming. ;)
I knew it was just a matter of time:

Capture.JPG

You can always count on the "thumbs-down" people to "show up to vote."

Regards,
Dave

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave... just like to say this is great video & will help many many pool players... especially those lower level players... keep up the great job my friend!!! :thumbup:

also,
Don't worry about the ones who hit Dis-like... (they are probably Russian hacks trying/or thinking they are interfering in our election... lol)

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube that demonstrates everything you need to know about dealing with and taking best advantage of a pocket “hanger.” Here it is:

Topics covered include:
- good things about hangers (0:06)
- things that can go wrong with hangers (0:40)
- avoiding a scratch (1:25)
- driving a ball through a hanger (2:24)
- cue ball control (3:16)
- cue ball reference directions (5:28)
- speed/cut/spin effects (7:05)
- game-situation examples (9:13)
- useful target drills (10:19)
- shooting along a rail (10:44)
- shooting along a diagonal (13:02)

This video is a little on the longer side (15 minutes), but the material in presented very concisely (but still completely). Multiple viewings (and/or pause/rewind cycles) might be required for everything to sink in.

This one took a lot of time and effect to create, but I am very happy with the end result. Thanks to "Tin Man" for suggesting this video topic along with some good ideas.

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

Enjoy,
Dave
Watched this yesterday. Great Work Dave.

Now I would like to see a Pop & Squat Break Video.

A 3 Piece Jump Cue video.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well the price of the video is kind of steep don't you think? No wonder the thumbs down. Surprised there aren't 10x more yet...
As a co-worker used to say, "Free is at the top of my price range.":thumbup:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave... just like to say this is great video & will help many many pool players... especially those lower level players... keep up the great job my friend!!! :thumbup:
Thank you. I agree that the video contains lots of good advice for "lower level players." However, I think the best advice in the video (e.g., the hanger CB reference directions) can help many advanced players a great deal. I often see a lack of good hanger control, even among top players.

Don't worry about the ones who hit Dis-like...
Thank you. They honestly don't bother me. They just make me curious as to what these sorts of people are thinking (or not).

(they are probably Russian hacks trying/or thinking they are interfering in our election... lol)
Now that's funny!

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watched this yesterday. Great Work Dave.
Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

Now I would like to see a Pop & Squat Break Video.
FYI, I already have this topic covered fairly well with the info and videos here:

break CB hop and squat resource page

A 3 Piece Jump Cue video.
Good idea. I'll add this to my future videos list. Simply put, use the end piece for a normal jump and remove it for a highly elevated jump or when using a dart stroke. FYI, everything else concerning jump shot variations is covered in detail in the info and videos here:

jump shot technique resource page

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube that demonstrates everything you need to know about dealing with and taking best advantage of a pocket “hanger.” Here it is:

Topics covered include:

This video is a little on the longer side (15 minutes), but the material in presented very concisely (but still completely). Multiple viewings (and/or pause/rewind cycles) might be required for everything to sink in.

Thanks to "Tin Man" for suggesting this video topic along with some good ideas.

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.
For the people who actually watched the entire video, what topic(s) do you think was(were) the most helpful and potentially useful to you? I am curious to know what different people take from a video like this.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Topics covered include:

Thanks to "Tin Man" for suggesting this video topic along with some good ideas.

Some people have suggested that my videos are too long and contain too much information presented too quickly. What do you guys think about this? Should I present a video like this instead as multiple shorter videos with many more examples for each concept? Or do you guys think the dense/concise-info approach is better?

Thank you in advance for your feedback, input, and suggestions,
Dave

Last edited:

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the people who actually watched the entire video, what topic(s) do you think was(were) the most helpful and potentially useful to you? I am curious to know what different people take from a video like this.

Thanks,
Dave

Great information here, Dave. Thanks for making it available. The hanger CB reference direction portion of the video was the most helpful for me, but all of it was quite worthwhile.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great information here, Dave. Thanks for making it available. The hanger CB reference direction portion of the video was the most helpful for me, but all of it was quite worthwhile.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you liked it.

Regards,
Dave

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave...

I like the format of the way you put together the video on "Pocket Hangers"... it brings into play a whole lot of options players can take... which is great because everybody plays differently & have their own strength when shooting... some can draw better then others so giving options help with weaker players that have trouble drawing the cue ball as an example... or don't know English well.

I think doing a video on When a player should do a safety play & how to help them to make the game more into their own favor will certainly help... most lower level players play shoots too aggressively & leave table wide open for their opponents... making them aware of playing safe might help them win more games & make them enjoy playing more. Just my 2 cents... :) Thanks for all you do...

shasta777

Last edited:

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video, Dave. I was not aware of the half ball hit reference shots you showed.

The video might be overwhelming to lower skilled players. Recently I was coaching a SL4 on hangers. I taught him The ¼ ball hit system I believe Jerry Briesath created. There is a great page in Mark Wilson’s book, Play Great Pool, that summarizes it. But anyone can figure it out on their own. Place the CB on the headspot and pocket a hanger at the other end of the table. The CB rolls straight back to the head spot. Then experiment by moving the CB 1-2 diamonds to the left and right.

I would recommend a player master the ¼ hit reference shots first, then use your video as the next step. With a ¼ ball hit the CB does not curve/bend after contact, making it easier to predict.

Dave, I realize you did show various ¼ hits. My suggestion is to put all ¼ hit shots at the beginning of the video, then move on to ½ ball hits

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
watched the entire video

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks Dr. Dave, nice video. Since you are asking, this is my take after watching the entire video.

I think it is great that you point out how the point will get you in trouble. Two things to watch out for, scratching and the point. Everything else is cue ball control. At first, I thought the tracks information was a bit boring and overdone but then you came with useful application of those tracks. Another great move on your part.

Your videos are useful for amateur players at all levels. Thanks for your contribution to the pool experience.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good video.

You made me think much more about using reference paths out of the hangars in relation to 1/4 and 1/2 ball hits to analyze the shot to make. A much better way to organize the thought process.